12 Sabres file for Arbitration

millbank

Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Daniel Briere, JP Dumont, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Andrew Peters, Justin Pominville and Ales Kotalik all have filed for salary arbitration. The deadline for players to file was 5:00pm today, Teams have until 5:00 pm tomorrow to take players to Arbitration

Arbitration

Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Daniel Briere, JP Dumont, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Andrew Peters, Justin Pominville and Ales Kotalik  all have filed for salary arbitration. The deadline for players to file was 5:00pm today, Teams have until 5:00 pm tomorrow to take players to Arbitration

Arbitration

718868[/snapback]

I am not all that knowledgeable about such things, but that sounds like a few more than normal, am I right???

I am not all that knowledgeable about such things, but that sounds like a few more than normal, am I right???

718891[/snapback]

Here is what Arbitration is.

Salary Arbitration

It is a large number and I do wonder just how this process effects team. One thing to keep in mind is often players and management continue to bargain up until hearing , often both sides really not wanting to go through process which can be acrimonious. Often parties decide to split the difference.

718891[/snapback]

Just a normal step in the signing process. The number is high because of Darcy's reluctance to sign long term contracts, maybe he'll reconsider after all this off season work.

Buffalo had 12 of the (I believe) 69 NHL players filing for Arbitration, and yes 12 is pretty high to have.

719060[/snapback]

It seems that the Sabres are making it clear that while they may be willing to pay players what they are worth (a value based on production) they are not willing to pay a penny more. I honestly hope they come to some sort of agreements with the big guys (Briere, Tallinder, Connolly maybe), before it gets to the point of arbitration.

As millbank points out, arbitration often leads to lots of bad blood between the players and the organization (see MLB). The Sabres were so damn good, and so exciting this past season, I would hate to see management take too much of a hardline stance with these guys, and erode it all away, when they are so damn close.

It is that whole Ben Franklin axiom about being "penny wise, and pound foolish." Sometimes, you just have to pay, if you want something badly enough. The benefits of paying these few guys close to what they think they deserve, as opposed to what the Sabres want to pay them, could far outweigh the negatives of overpaying a little bit.

I trust that Reiger will do the right thing. I will be curios to see if they unload Marty Biron in the next few days, and how that will play into dealing with some of these guys.