North Korean missle test fails

Well, you learn more from a failure than you do from a success.

Meanwhile, his country can't grow friggin' rice b/c everyone's busy goose-stepping to scare the Bogeyman in KJI's mind.

Had the missile stayed up, if it were me I would have given an order to shoot it down (as it was ABC was reporting that a finger was on the button) even if it wasn't headed toward our mainland.

Had the missile stayed up, if it were me I would have given an order to shoot it down (as it was ABC was reporting that a finger was on the button) even if it wasn't headed toward our mainland.

718431[/snapback]

It was a good test of the ABM system nonetheless. Because I guarantee you there was at least one (probably more like three) Aegis-equipped ships in the Sea of Japan tracking the launches.

It was a good test of the ABM system nonetheless.  Because I guarantee you there was at least one (probably more like three) Aegis-equipped ships in the Sea of Japan tracking the launches.

718437[/snapback]

which means now we prolly understand their missles better than they do :doh:

718431[/snapback]

And what if we missed? i have read several things online which say our missiles are not exactly 100% accurate.

And what if we missed? i have read several things online which say our missiles are not exactly 100% accurate.

718503[/snapback]

No missile is 100% accurate. Standard doctrine - almost worldwide, be it a US ABM, a Russian SA-N-6, or a British Sea Dart - is to launch 2 missiles to "guarantee" a kill for that very reason.

The ABMs out of Alaska probably have a PK rate of about 60% per successful launch...which is really !@#$ing good, considering the engagement parameters. Ditto the SM-3 off Aegis ships.

So IF an intercept were attempted, the practice would be to launch two missiles at the incoming as standard procedure, making it reasonably likely one would hit...and the media would harp on the one that missed as a "failure" of the system.

No missile is 100% accurate.  Standard doctrine - almost worldwide, be it a US ABM, a Russian SA-N-6, or a British Sea Dart - is to launch 2 missiles to "guarantee" a kill for that very reason. 

The ABMs out of Alaska probably have a PK rate of about 60% per successful launch...which is really !@#$ing good, considering the engagement parameters.  Ditto the SM-3 off Aegis ships.

So IF an intercept were attempted, the practice would be to launch two missiles at the incoming as standard procedure, making it reasonably likely one would hit...and the media would harp on the one that missed as a "failure" of the system.

718537[/snapback]

But... But... But... GPS!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

:doh:

No missile is 100% accurate.  Standard doctrine - almost worldwide, be it a US ABM, a Russian SA-N-6, or a British Sea Dart - is to launch 2 missiles to "guarantee" a kill for that very reason. 

The ABMs out of Alaska probably have a PK rate of about 60% per successful launch...which is really !@#$ing good, considering the engagement parameters.  Ditto the SM-3 off Aegis ships.

718537[/snapback]

That's interesting. CTM is their a link that's worth reading on ABM?

That's interesting. CTM is their a link that's worth reading on ABM?

718748[/snapback]

A good start is http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/pdf/bmdsbook.pdf. It's chock full of "rah-rah" public relations stuff...but it at least gives a good overview of the depth and complexity of the missile defense system as a whole...and demonstrates that the budgetary facts of missile defense are NOT $10B on ten missiles in holes in Alaska.

http://www.marshall.org/pdf/materials/57.pdf An interesting technical discussion. Not terribly germane (he discusses quite a few older ideas against defeating massed Russian nuclear strikes), but has some interesting insight into what is and is not capable.

Defense News has had some good articles over the past few years. I'll see if I can link to some articles...it's a paid site, though, so no promises, as I ain't giving out my login to it.

Other than that...I don't really know one public media site that's ever really demonstrated any real knowledge of the ABM system (which, as a system, is a hell of a lot more than interceptors in silos in Alaska - there's a reason, for example, that the Navy recently tested an SM-3 launch jointly with Japan.)

Lots of what I posted is "ear to the ground" "common knowledge" type stuff. The test results on the ABMs (sanitized for unclassification) are readily available off the net; to anyone with a scientific or engineering background they're pretty clear, without any of the wesealy "Well, it was a success even though it failed" nonsense public reports usually ascribe to it. I believe I've seen overal schematic diagrams (i.e. diagramming assets responsible for a successful warhead intercept - it's just a little less complex than a moon launch) suitable for the "PowerPoint warrior" on the net, too.

A lot of it, though, is just based on common sense and the knowledge I've collected over the past quarter-century. SAMs tend to be ripple-fired - in Kuwait in '03, for example, it was standard practice to launch more than one Patriot at a detected incoming warhead, despite the system not being checked out for such (all previous tests had been single shots; multiple shots were not written into the procedure formally, but doctrine overrode written procedure, basically). A 60% kill rate is a reasonably good guess based on the performance of roughly comparable systems (though the GMD interceptors are so bleeding edge - by design, they can't avoid being so - that the PK could be anywhere from 30% to 90%. Most of the realistic statements on performance fall within a 40% to 70% range. I've heard the number quoted as anywhere from 0% to 100%, both of which are obvious horseshit. Like I said, 60% is pretty reasonable, maybe a touch high, but I'm a technical optimist. :lol:)

The observation on the media...well, come on. It's the media. :lol:

No.  They go up, they fail catastrophically.  I'm pretty sure both sides here have achieved the same level of understanding.

718454[/snapback]

i beg to differ. Missle goes up and fails catastrophically.

US collects and analyzes data

North Korea executes scientists :lol:

Depending on your risk tolerance, this might be a good time to consider a Hyundai or Kia vehicle, Samsung electronics, or appliances from the recently "premium" marketed LG (formerly the bottom-dwelling brand GoldStar) :P

719160[/snapback]

LG is a chinese company, isn't it?

i beg to differ.  Missle goes up and fails catastrophically.

US collects and analyzes data

North Korea executes scientists :P

718850[/snapback]

And now the whole world knows Kim Jong-Il suffers from premature detonation.