Asteroid passes within 270k miles of Earth

/dev/null

They've known about this one for a long time. Want to really freak yourself out? Tracing the current trajectories of the Earth Orbit and another asteroids orbit, in 2029, there will be an asteroid that will pass roughly 18,000 miles away from Earth.

They've known about this one for a long time. Want to really freak yourself out? Tracing the current trajectories of the Earth Orbit and another asteroids orbit, in 2029, there will be an asteroid that will pass roughly 18,000 miles away from Earth.

717771[/snapback]

Doesn't matter. By 2029 the earth will be dead due to the human affect on the environment anyway.

in 2029, there will be an asteroid that will pass roughly 18,000 miles away from Earth.

717771[/snapback]

i've read about that one. it may pass close enough to be visable without a telescope in some parts of the world

Doesn't matter.  By 2029 the earth will be dead due to the human affect on the environment anyway.

717775[/snapback]

Cool. I didn't know that. So essentially we have 23 years to win the Super Bowl.

Any idea if it will end at the strike of midnight on New Year's 2029 or closer toward year's end....say, the Nov. or Dec. timeframe? If it's near year's end, maybe we can get the NFL to move up the start of the opener so we can play the whole season before the world ends.

I'd hate for the world to end in the middle of a football season, so if you can provide more details I'd appreciate it.

Cool. I didn't know that. So essentially we have 23 years to win the Super Bowl.

Any idea if it will end at the strike of midnight on New Year's 2029 or closer toward year's end....say, the Nov. or Dec. timeframe? If it's near year's end, maybe we can get the NFL to move up the start of the opener so we can play the whole season before the world ends.

I'd hate for the world to end in the middle of a football season, so if you can provide more details I'd appreciate it.

717786[/snapback]

Actaully, you are jumping to conclusions. I said by then. Not then exactly.

And the details are mine.

Actaully, you are jumping to conclusions.  I said by then.  Not then exactly.

And the details are mine.

717791[/snapback]

Crap. I was hoping we'd get a head start on the end of the world.

Can you at least narrow it down to a year because if it's sometime soon I'd just as soon start spending more time with my family instead of putting in the efforts toward this whole "have a job to earn money" gig.

i've read about that one.  it may pass close enough to be visable without a telescope in some parts of the world

717778[/snapback]

Its also going to pass the earth in 2021 and 2013. Their biggest fear isnt that it will hit us in 2029, but that passing that clsoe to our orbit may alter it's orbit enough to hit us during subsequest passes.

Frankly, i hope it hits and theres nothing we can do about it. Then people will enjoy watching the bills during their last season of existence and maybe that will stop all the bitchin that goes on around here.

Its also going to pass the earth in 2021 and 2013. Their biggest fear isnt that it will hit us in 2029, but that passing that clsoe to our orbit may alter it's orbit enough to hit us during subsequest passes.

Frankly, i hope it hits and theres nothing we can do about it. Then people will enjoy watching the bills during their last season of existence and maybe that will stop all the bitchin that goes on around here.

717800[/snapback]

Yeah right.

"Last friggin year of all life on earth and they STILL can't block!"

Doesn't matter.  By 2029 the earth will be dead due to the human affect on the environment anyway.

717775[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry then, since there is no "human affect" on the environemt anyway.

I'm more worried about the "human effect", myself...but even then, we're not going to kill the planet. The planet will be here for a LONG time after we're dust.

I wouldn't worry then, since there is no "human affect" on the environemt anyway. 

I'm more worried about the "human effect", myself...but even then, we're not going to kill the planet.  The planet will be here for a LONG time after we're dust.

717815[/snapback]

Oh, now we have to bring spelling into it?

And for those wondering, it was just a joke. See?

I'm more worried about the "human effect", myself...but even then, we're not going to kill the planet.  The planet will be here for a LONG time after we're dust.

717815[/snapback]

So if an asteroid comes within 18k miles of the Earth and there's no one here to see it would is still be visible from some places on the planet?