BIG DECISIONS

CAT

If you were the Bills owner what would you focus on to position the team for success over the next 3 years or so? I would start transitioning to a new owner and a new GM. Bring in a guy to work with Levy for a couple of years. If Levy can help rebuild the Bills over 3 offseasons and turn the keys to a quality Gm that would be a good contribution to our club. The new owner needs to get a better revenue sharing deal next time and be more aggressive in making money and keeping young talent on the team. Speaking of young talent ,if we are going to keep Clements lets trade him for a 1 right now. We are not a top tier team anyway so we need to focus on 2-3 years out. Next year is a big offseason for us. Lots of car room and a young roster to add to. Cant loose a great young player and get 0 in return

If you were the Bills owner what would you focus on to position the team for success over the next 3 years or so?  I would start transitioning to a new owner and a new GM.  Bring in a guy to work with Levy for a couple of years.  If Levy can help rebuild the Bills over 3 offseasons and turn the keys to a quality Gm that would be a good contribution to our club.  The new owner needs to get a better revenue sharing deal next time and be more aggressive in making money and keeping young talent on the team.  Speaking of young talent ,if we are going to keep Clements lets trade him for a 1 right now.  We are not a top tier team anyway so we need to focus on 2-3 years out.  Next year is a big offseason for us.  Lots of car room and a young roster to add to.  Cant loose a great young player and get 0 in return

717666[/snapback]

I don't know if Ralph wants to transition (!), but a #1 for Clements would be fine with me. :lol:

I don't know if Ralph wants to transition (!), but a #1 for Clements would be fine with me. :lol:

718643[/snapback]

I have mixed emotions about trading Nate.

The thing is, Nate doesn't count toward the 07 cap. Trading him now (and I do not dispute the fact that we could use an extra #1) would open up space for 06, and I am not seeing anybody worthy of spending it on.

If you remember, we signed a deal which stipulates that he cannot be designated the "Franchise Player" in 07. Imo, this indicates to me that he wants out, and in a hurry.

The original poster (and of course you :D ) DO make sense in terms of getting a 1st for Nate. Were it up to me, I would try to lock him up long term. IF that didn't work, and IF a team would pony up a 1st, I would pull the trigger.

After all, we DID draft 75 DBs on the first day in 06. :lol::lol:;)

I have mixed emotions about trading Nate.

After all, we DID draft 75 DBs on the first day in 06.  :lol:  :lol:  ;)

718710[/snapback]

:lol:

Well, I can't see anybody really offering a #1 for Clements. I just hope he doesn't pout this coming season, having to make those downfield tackles on 220 lb. running backs in the (run for) cover 2. :D

If you remember, we signed a deal which stipulates that he cannot be designated the "Franchise Player" in 07. Imo, this indicates to me that he wants out, and in a hurry.

718710[/snapback]

I don't think it means he definitly wants out, just that he wants a longterm deal, or else he is leaving

I think the best thing for Ralph and Marv to do is keep Tom Golisano's cell on speed dial.

If I am Ralph and thus it is pretty much guaranteed that I am gonna livee forever (or at the worst if I don't I won't be around to worry about the fact I did not) I am not worryiing about breaking in a new owner or GM.

As far as it goes, the future is now and the only bad thing is I will not win the SB this year, but my main thinking about a 3 tear timeline is that is a year to long for my desires.

The thing I like most about Marv is reflected in his book, Where You Rather Be than Right Here Right Now. The HC or GM who is setting things up for the future is simply setting things up for the new HC, a new GM pr a new owner.

After the foolish episode with TD (I blame Butler for running out on me to CA and eaving me in a stituation where I had no other choice but to hire TD, turn over everything to him and hope it worked out). it clearly did not work out when it comes to W/L (the only true measure of team success), but at least he finally moved the business side into the 20th century and I thnak him for that.

Though you would have to be a fool to expect us to win or even rrach the SB this year, I want to see a plan that maxinmizes immediate wins while building for the future. I expect this team to compete for the playoffs and even if we probably will not make it this year we will die with our boots on.

If we get lucky and the plan goes well I want to make the playoffs this year and have a real shot if we get lucnky and we are good at making the SB next year.

3 year plan fuggaboutit. Life is too short.

I don't think it means he definitly wants out, just that he wants a longterm deal, or else he is leaving

718797[/snapback]

After last season I would say his stock was down. I think NC is smart enough to realize that he had a sub-par year in '05, and chose a compromise. Stay with Buffalo for one year to showcase your talent, and then we won't get in your way. Do great, and you will get a boatload of cash.

Hopefully that one year gets one of our draft picks the time to get his feet under him in the NFL, and then there is no problem.

I'd do anything possible to steal Nick Saban from the Fins..... :lol:

718826[/snapback]

That's kinda creepy.....what would you do with him once you had him? Never mind....I don't want to know.

If you were the Bills owner what would you focus on to position the team for success over the next 3 years or so?  I would start transitioning to a new owner and a new GM.  Bring in a guy to work with Levy for a couple of years.  If Levy can help rebuild the Bills over 3 offseasons and turn the keys to a quality Gm that would be a good contribution to our club.  The new owner needs to get a better revenue sharing deal next time and be more aggressive in making money and keeping young talent on the team.  Speaking of young talent ,if we are going to keep Clements lets trade him for a 1 right now.  We are not a top tier team anyway so we need to focus on 2-3 years out.  Next year is a big offseason for us.  Lots of car room and a young roster to add to.  Cant loose a great young player and get 0 in return

717666[/snapback]

Hey, if the Bills are 3 or more games from the division lead at the trading deadline, offer Clements the most you will offer him in Feb and if he does not take it try to get a first or second for him.

if there are no takers try to sign him in Feb otherwise sign wisely in 2007 Free Agency and take a 3rd rounder the next year.