NYS License Plate Issue...

mcjeff215

Hey folks...

Buddy of mine bought a decommissioned military vehicle of some sort on a gov't auction and it's located at Ft. Drum. We're going to fly into Rochester and drive the thing back down to Georgia. We'll probably spend a night in Buffalo.

License plates... I remember when I lived up there that driving a vehicle of any type without a license plate is a no-no. I don't believe we'll have one and I honestly don't want to tow-rope thing thing across the state.

Any suggestions? Help!

Jeff

Hey folks...

Buddy of mine bought a decommissioned military vehicle of some sort on a gov't auction and it's located at Ft. Drum.  We're going to fly into Rochester and drive the thing back down to Georgia. We'll probably spend a night in Buffalo.

License plates... I remember when I lived up there that driving a vehicle of any type without a license plate is a no-no. I don't believe we'll have one and I honestly don't want to tow-rope thing thing across the state.

Any suggestions? Help!

Jeff

716506[/snapback]

I have some PA plates I never turned in...

Legally....

Know anyone with dealer plates? Pretty much, you stick one on a car and drive away.

Any way to, what's the word, pre-register it in GA w/o it being in your possession? Need to have the title for that tho.

Failing the legal ways, you can bite the bullet and go w/ Jack's suggestion, get short haircuts and if you see any cops, coolly wave at them like it's nothing out of the ordinary; they're paramilitary themselves. :lol: But don't put false tags on it; that's 100x worse than not having anything.

Failing the legal ways, you can bite the bullet and go w/ Jack's suggestion, get short haircuts and if you see any cops, coolly wave at them like it's nothing out of the ordinary; they're paramilitary themselves. :lol: But don't put false tags on it; that's 100x worse than not having anything.

716552[/snapback]

One thing I just remembered if they actually do go with my suggestion, I've never seen a military vehicle going over the speed limit on the highway. Usually they are cruising along at 55.

One thing I just remembered if they actually do go with my suggestion, I've never seen a military vehicle going over the speed limit on the highway. Usually they are cruising along at 55.

716558[/snapback]

Nevermind the question of whether they could.... Ask yourself why they would when that'd just mean a couple of hours more of KP, etc.

Plus, fuel economy considerations. The speed for getting optimum mpg is 55.

716552[/snapback]

Please let me know if this works. Actaully, even if it doesn't, it could be a great story.

Haven't been in NY for 14 years, but won't they supply the plates? Are they classified as a dealer for state purposes? If not, you could probably get the paperwork and and go to the local DMV there (they must have one for the base) and register it right then.

Legally....

Know anyone with dealer plates? Pretty much, you stick one on a car and drive away.

Any way to, what's the word, pre-register it in GA w/o it being in your possession? Need to have the title for that tho.

716552[/snapback]

Might be able to here, I think we can register w/ a Bill of Sale here. We'll find out. Barring that, it's fatigues and short haircuts.

I may have a buddy that can get his hands on a NYS dealer plate... time to call in some favors if that's the case.

-Jeff

Might be able to here, I think we can register w/ a Bill of Sale here. We'll find out. Barring that, it's fatigues and short haircuts. 

I may have a buddy that can get his hands on a NYS dealer plate... time to call in some favors if that's the case.

-Jeff

716627[/snapback]

They may issue a temporary tag for you, check with Georgia first, then New york. I see transport tags all the time, paper tags that are valid for 3-5 days.

Check to see if you can get your hands on a repair plate. They are similar to dealer plates, but you can usually get them from a repair shop if your state has such a thing and you know someone who works at a repair shop.

I think the short hair and army clothes will get you home. No cop is going to stop what looks like a military vehicle with GI's in it.

Also, don't speed!!! You will avoid the cops by going the speed limit everytime.

Hey folks...

Buddy of mine bought a decommissioned military vehicle of some sort on a gov't auction and it's located at Ft. Drum.  We're going to fly into Rochester and drive the thing back down to Georgia. We'll probably spend a night in Buffalo.

Any suggestions? Help!

Jeff

716506[/snapback]

You can get a temporary transit plate through the NY DMV. I think it cost about $25.00 plus you got to prove you own it.

Anyone see on the news last night that a convoy vehicle flipped over up near Ft. Dum (as my brother called it in a 2-year stint)?

I was just joking about that stuff, BTW. Find a legal way to do it. DON'T get arrested for something deadhead like that. The temp transport tags sound logical, but then again it is govt. :lol:

Anyone see on the news last night that a convoy vehicle flipped over up near Ft. Dum (as my brother called it in a 2-year stint)?

I was just joking about that stuff, BTW. Find a legal way to do it. DON'T get arrested for something deadhead like that. The temp transport tags sound logical, but then again it is govt. :rolleyes:

716657[/snapback]

Right right, no worries. We'll figure it out and do it legally. If we've got to tie a rope to it and go down the road @ 15, that's what we'll do.