ESPN ranks Bills Pass Defense 26th in NFL

Ramius

I'm not bitching about our ranks, i cant stand their so called "analysis". They sound like a bunch of hot pocket retards.

Baltimore - #4 pass defense..why? they have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, and sportscenter has heard of them!

Somehow the Jets were ranked 20th, even without ty law.

Washington has the #2 pass D, because they have gregg williams.

Screw them....we're another DE away from having the best pass defense in football....I don't care what they say. Even if we don't get Nate re-signed, our secondary is on the verge of becoming dominant. Our backers are solid, possibly exceptional if TKO returns to form, and our D-line is hopefully shored up with the new additions. We just need someone opposite Schobel to claim that spot and our D is very dangerous.

I'm not bitching about our ranks, i cant stand their so called "analysis".  They sound like a bunch of hot pocket retards.

Baltimore - #4 pass defense..why? they have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, and sportscenter has heard of them!

715847[/snapback]

This is the first one of these rankings I might argue with.

;)

I'm not bitching about our ranks, i cant stand their so called "analysis".  They sound like a bunch of hot pocket retards.

715847[/snapback]

Baltimore also has Chris McCallister and Samari Rolle, former Pro Bowl corners. So there ranking is very justified. :doh:

But i agree with your overall point. Personally, Clements and McGee are one of the best corner tandems in the league. Spikes, before injury was one of the best cover LBs in the league. This ranking doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I guess that's why I just post on a message board and they are paid professionals.

Screw them....we're another DE away from having the best pass defense in football....I don't care what they say.  Even if we don't get Nate re-signed, our secondary is on the verge of becoming dominant. Our backers are solid, possibly exceptional if TKO returns to form, and our D-line is hopefully shored up with the new additions. We just need someone opposite Schobel to claim that spot and our D is very dangerous.

715852[/snapback]

I find it much more difficult to see how we are going to do a reasonable job in stopping the run with out top 4 DTs on the depth chart maxing out at 305 lbs. than I see our LGE situation as a problem for this team.

Schobel has put up consistent sack and pressure #s over his career (the totals are particularly impressive given that he did a lot of pass coverage duty in our zone blitz rather than rushing) and has improved his ability to show some strength and stand his ground as he has learned better techniques that I also have little worry about his side.

On the other side, DEs Denny and Kelsay will duel again as they were essentially dubbed co-starters in our zone blitz package. I do not thinl either is a great player but I suspect one of these two will prove to be adequate at the position.

The issue to me is that it appears that Jauron/Farrell appear to want to run a D where the DTs estimate/guess the point of attack and try to blow through this spot to disrupt the running play or pressure the QB. The question in my mind is whether our LBs will be able to fill the gaps when they guess wrong.

I agree, as bad as our D was last year our pass D ranked 20th. That was with an injured Spikes and a SS in Milloy his strength was not as a pass defender. Granted Spikes is a question mark as is the potential replacement for Milloy but a new defense, three draft picks for the secondary that graded as potential 1st Round picks and defensive minded head coach (who was a DB in this league) should allow the pass D to be as good if not better than it was last year. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I agree, as bad as our D was last year our pass D ranked 20th. That was with an injured Spikes and a SS in Milloy his strength was not as a pass defender. Granted Spikes is a question mark as is the potential replacement for Milloy but a new defense, three draft picks for the secondary that graded as potential 1st Round picks and defensive minded head coach (who was a DB in this league) should allow the pass D to be as good if not better than it was last year. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

715886[/snapback]

Yep, replacing Milloy and (eventually) Vincent with Whitner and Simpson is going to be a huge upgrade in speed. I can see us like those Pittsburgh teams of the late 80s and early 90s with guys like Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson. Nobody will be able to throw on us.

Yep, replacing Milloy and (eventually) Vincent with Whitner and Simpson is going to be a huge upgrade in speed. I can see us like those Pittsburgh teams of the late 80s and early 90s with guys like Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson. Nobody will be able to throw on us.

715895[/snapback]

Yhe tough part is going to be managing the downgrade in experience as Milloy and Vincent have seen a lot of plays and can diagnose what is happening before it occurs. If these youngsters get into a read and react war with not simply Peyton Manning, but any pro QB the result is not gonna be pretty for us.

Whitmer seems to have the phusical talent to start immediaely while Simpson as a second day choice will be doing quite well if he is capable of starting next year.

TV can play a critical role if he uses the obvious respect he has gained from his fellow players to be a coach and a good example of how to read plays based on down/distance and tendencies and how individual players line up on the field.

If he does this teaching and Whitner is ready to learn he will be a better SS right from the start. The best chance that Simpson has of contributing as a position player this year is if h learns the lessons of being a pro thst all rookies must learn even better by learning from the coaches and TV.

Yobouty also has first round physical talent but likely dropped to the 3ed round because many folks felt he needed another year in school. He can learn even more and give us the leverage to negotiate hard and let BC go if necessary if Yobouty takes advantage of us having a former multiple Pro Bowl CB on the roster in TV,

Yhe tough part is going to be managing the downgrade in experience as Milloy and Vincent have seen a lot of plays and can diagnose what is happening before it occurs. If these youngsters get into a read and react war with not simply Peyton Manning, but any pro QB the result is not gonna be pretty for us.

Whitmer seems to have the phusical talent to start immediaely while Simpson as a second day choice will be doing quite well if he is capable of starting next year.

TV can play a critical role if he uses the obvious respect he has gained from his fellow players to be a coach and a good example of how to read plays based on down/distance and tendencies and how individual players line up on the field.

If he does this teaching and Whitner is ready to learn he will be a better SS right from the start.  The best chance that Simpson has of contributing as a position player this year is if h learns the lessons of being a pro thst all rookies must learn even better by learning from the coaches and TV.

Yobouty also has first round physical talent but likely dropped to the 3ed round because many folks felt he needed another year in school.  He can learn even more and give us the leverage to negotiate hard and let BC go if necessary if Yobouty takes advantage of us having a former multiple Pro Bowl CB on the roster in TV,

715907[/snapback]

Every time I think about rookies/young players stepping in, I fall back to the example of JJ and the Dolphins. When he took over, he basically gutted that defense and put rookies all over the place. they totally responded, and I remember him being interviewed on the HBO Inside the NFL show about how well his young guys were playing. Now I can't stand JJ, and I hate the damn fish, but the fact of the matter is that they were a well-coached team. They prepared, worked hard, and they accomplished more as rookies than anyone else expected. I know Zach Thomas and Jason taylor were two of them, but there were others. they were young, aggressive, and they made plays. We've the luxury of having a relatively solid, veteran unit, with only a few positions where we have rookies set to integrate in. If DJ and PF can be smart about how they do it, I think we can get better w/out taking much of a step back due to the younger guys' learning curve.

I thought it'd be a little higher, but realistically Nate didn't have a very good year in 05, McGee is still better known as a KR, Donte is unproven, and Vincent was used & abused. It may take awhile to get this unit going, but I think they'll be solid by the end of the year... GO KO!!! :pirate:

I thought it'd be a little higher, but realistically Nate didn't have a very good year in 05, McGee is still better known as a KR, Donte is unproven, and Vincent was used & abused. It may take awhile to get this unit going, but I think they'll be solid by the end of the year... GO KO!!! :pirate:

715930[/snapback]

Yeah...I guess it stands to reason though, if your front seven sucks, your secondary is going to suck as a result...I am not sold on our D-line just yet, and our LB's are going to be another year older...I would like to see Crowell get some playing time....

Screw them....we're another DE away from having the best pass defense in football....I don't care what they say.  Even if we don't get Nate re-signed, our secondary is on the verge of becoming dominant.

715852[/snapback]

Why stop there? Another DE and we might have the best pass defense in the history of football!!! Schobel (one of my favorite players) = LC Greenwood, no? All we need is another Dwight White because our starting tandem at DT is clearly superior to "Arrowhead" Holmes and Joe Greene!!!

If Nate does leave, screw it, no? We can always use a few more first day draft picks and grab more corners and safties!!! Who needs anything else? :pirate:

Brother, I should have been the one drunk on my birthday! :huh::D:lol::)

I would suggest that you stop watching and listening to ESPN, and don't read their ragazine.  Worst subscription I ever had, and my t-shirt was way too small.

715891[/snapback]

Yeah; at least RealFootball365 gives us some hope by reading their articles! Those guys at ESPN couldn't name half our starters as since we haven't been winning they don't follow the team. I mean if the Jets and Cowboys, who any 'Girls fan would tell you that their secondary sucks is rated that much higher than ours then you know somebody didn't do their homework!

715895[/snapback]

:pirate:

Based off last year, the defense was terrible almost completely. Passing D is just one place they need to improve. And, please remind me, didnt you lose Gray?

716060[/snapback]

Losing Jerry "send the house on every down" Gray was a GOOD thing.