World Cup more popular than NBA and NHL Finals

ajzepp

Article

I figured it was either on par with, or more popular, than hockey....but not the NBA

"Despite the general lack of interest in the World Cup by the US audience, the soccer tournament is more popular than the NBA basketball championship and the NHL’s Stanley Cup hockey title. Both of those events were being held at the same time as the World Cup."

Que the soccer haters in 3....2....1....

Article

I figured it was either on par with, or more popular, than hockey....but not the NBA

"Despite the general lack of interest in the World Cup by the US audience, the soccer tournament is more popular than the NBA basketball championship and the NHL’s Stanley Cup hockey title. Both of those events were being held at the same time as the World Cup."

715775[/snapback]

Interesting. Who won the NBA title anyway? Is it still going on??

No surprise here.

715795[/snapback]

really? I thought the NBA finals were a strong #3 behind the Superbowl and WS. The article makes note of how only 6% of people follow the WC "closely", yet that figure includes women. It's 9% of men overall that follow it closely, and over 21% of people in general follow it either "closely" or "somewhat closely". I think that's a more significan figure than the 6% one. If you take women out of the equation, I'm guessing that over 25% of men are following the WC, which I think is pretty good.

really? I thought the NBA finals were a strong #3 behind the Superbowl and WS. The article makes note of how only 6% of people follow the WC "closely", yet that figure includes women. It's 9% of men overall that follow it closely, and over 21% of people in general follow it either "closely" or "somewhat closely". I think that's a more significan figure than the 6% one. If you take women out of the equation, I'm guessing that over 25% of men are following the WC, which I think is pretty good.

715813[/snapback]

I dunno. I guess I haven't heard much good about the ratings for the NHL and NBA. The WC, however, seems to be a pretty hot topic among random people that I meet. Not very scientific, but the "casual conversation" gauge can be somewhat useful indication.

I've found myself discussing such things as the attributes of the Ghanan offense with people that I'd never expect to.

I can't say that I"m a huge soccer fan, but I'd watch an international basket weaving competition if it pitted the US up against other countries...then again, I felt bitter and angry after an international loss to a 3rd world country.

I can't say that I"m a huge soccer fan, but I'd watch an international basket weaving competition if it pitted the US up against other countries...then again, I felt bitter and angry after an international loss to a 3rd world country.

715844[/snapback]

It's even harder to digest when you have Bruce Arena saying, "it's not my job to win World Cups." They never expected to win anyway, so its no wonder they sh-- the bed. Hopefully he'll be out on his ass and we'll get someone with a bit more than mediocrity in mind for this team. There's no excuse for that.

I know most here hate the NBA, but this years playoffs were pretty damned entertaining. I really loved the NBA, up until the early 90's. As great as Jordan was, his influence on the way the game was played, by far lesser talents, was detrimental....I think it is starting to make a comeback...the success of the Spurs, Pistons, and the Heat this year, are an indication that team basketball is making a comeback in the NBA. Wade, Lebron and Carmello may be the best three players to come out of one draft in decades...all are team players....

I know most here hate the NBA, but this years playoffs were pretty damned entertaining.  I really loved the NBA, up until the early 90's.  As great as Jordan was, his influence on the way the game was played, by far lesser talents, was detrimental....I think it is starting to make a comeback...the success of the Spurs, Pistons, and the Heat this year, are an indication that team basketball is making a comeback in the NBA.  Wade, Lebron and Carmello may be the best three players to come out of one draft in decades...all are team players....

715853[/snapback]

I agree with that, though the finish to the Finals was a let down. All those guys are class acts and are so young. The NBA is getting back to the glory days. But then again, they are black and have tatoos so they are just a bunch of thugs. ;)

Well of course.  The 12 billion Mexicans here don't watch hockey.  ;)

715915[/snapback]

LOL....you're actually pretty funny when you're not being an !@#$ :doh:

I know most here hate the NBA, but this years playoffs were pretty damned entertaining.  I really loved the NBA, up until the early 90's.  As great as Jordan was, his influence on the way the game was played, by far lesser talents, was detrimental....I think it is starting to make a comeback...the success of the Spurs, Pistons, and the Heat this year, are an indication that team basketball is making a comeback in the NBA.  Wade, Lebron and Carmello may be the best three players to come out of one draft in decades...all are team players....

715853[/snapback]

Great post, I agree... this year's playoffs were the best thing going, & things will only get bigger and better.

Article

715775[/snapback]

I think you'd find a good number of those "American" soccer fans are recent immigrants. Of course, we are talking World Cup, not MLS. The MLS is still way below the NHL and NBA.

PTR

I think you'd find a good number of those "American" soccer fans are recent immigrants.  Of course, we are talking World Cup, not MLS.  The MLS is still way below the NHL and NBA.

PTR

715928[/snapback]

Oh yeah, the MLS is totally a niche league.....I don't think it will ever be mroe than that cause they'll never have the best players in the world, such as with the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, etc

715844[/snapback]

I wouldn't. International Basket Weaving is too damned corrupt. And those pansy-ass Italian basket weavers are always diving...

715813[/snapback]

I heard on the radio today the there has been an increase in the amount of women watching the WC this time. I think this article explains why. :pirate:

I wouldn't.  International Basket Weaving is too damned corrupt.  And those pansy-ass Italian basket weavers are always diving...

715951[/snapback]

Don't you ever insult Italy's basket weaving world cup. Many men died to weave that basket.

Great post, I agree... this year's playoffs were the best thing going, & things will only get bigger and better.

715923[/snapback]

Oh, as much as I enjoyed it (I was pulling for the Clippers/Braves), the NHL was the best thing going for me...