ESPN ranks Bills pass catchers, 30th among active

If you are using Madden 2006 simming results (Which ESPN strongly recommends you do considering that really is the best way to determine how well a team is going to do the next season)...then sure, makes perfect sense.

Am I the only one who likes when ESPN puts us down?

We have a number one who's never had a 1,000 yard season, two guys competing for number two, one of whom has been let go by two teams in two years, the other of whom has never had 600 yards in a season, and nothing proven beyond them. At tight end, we have a guy who's primarily a blocker who has never had 200 yards and another who is yet to catch a pass. How high should we be ranked?

This is the time of year where every day we'll get new posts about how the national media is “dissing” the Bills. How the Bills aren't as bad as everybody says and how they'll shock the league this year.

Cut to 6 months later as we wrap up another 5-11 type season and nobody is saying, "whoops, I was wrong and those national pundits were right."

Granted, at some point they will be wrong (you have to figure the Bills can't lose forever) but until the Bills prove they can win I'm in agreement with most of the national media: The Bills stink at a lot of positions and WR is one of them. Having 5-6 solid #3 type WRs doesn't make the receiving corps solid.

This is the time of year where every day we'll get new posts about how the national media is “dissing” the Bills.  How the Bills aren't as bad as everybody says and how they'll shock the league this year. 

Cut to 6 months later as we wrap up another 5-11 type season and nobody is saying, "whoops, I was wrong and those national pundits were right."

715163[/snapback]

That's cause they'll all have bailed from this board by mid-October.

In a tough year like this, it takes a special Bills fan to stick it out. ;)

This board will be rocking, definitely no place for the meek.

This is the time of year where every day we'll get new posts about how the national media is “dissing” the Bills.  How the Bills aren't as bad as everybody says and how they'll shock the league this year. 

Granted, at some point they will be wrong (you have to figure the Bills can't lose forever) but until the Bills prove they can win I'm in agreement with most of the national media: The Bills stink at a lot of positions and WR is one of them.  Having 5-6 solid #3 type WRs doesn't make the receiving corps solid.

715163[/snapback]

Great post!

We have a number one who's never had a 1,000 yard season, two guys competing for number two, one of whom has been let go by two teams in two years, the other of whom has never had 600 yards in a season, and nothing proven beyond them.  At tight end, we have a guy who's primarily a blocker who has never had 200 yards and another who is yet to catch a pass.  How high should we be ranked?

715156[/snapback]

Amen!.....who ever thinks we should be ranked any lower is an idiot.For gods sake what have we proved in the last couple years.........NOTHING!

Sean Salisbury said that he likes Lee Evans alot and sees great potential in him. But the other 2 bobos, Schlereth and Golic, kept saying all they have is a bunch of slot guys. I think we should've atleast been in the mid to upper 20's, not 30. I think that Evans will prove himself a legitimate #1 guy if the QB gets him the ball, whomever that may be. He has tremendous speed, good strength, and will catch the ball when it's thrown his way. Price is a career #2 or #3 guy who thought he was a #1. He hasn't done anything since he left the Bills, so now he returns. Davis, a definite #3. Parrish is a #3 or #4 type like Dante Hall. Josh Reed? I don't even know really why they re-signed him. I expected alot more out of him coming out of LSU, but he's done nothing at all. Aiken and Smith are young, but won't ever really be much except ST players. Martin Nance is the wild-card in all of this I believe. I have one of those gut feelings that this boy could actually end up being something. He was great at Miami, OH and to our luck went undrafted. I think the main question everyone has about him stems from his 2004 knee injury. This year he should be fully recovered and ready to go. It took Edge and Willis 2 years to really get back from their injuries and be at full strength. I do believe that this young man will not only make the team, but be a real contributor by mid-season if they actually give him the chance. Overall as a squad I have us at 27th. Ahead of San Fran(Only have Vernon Davis, a TE), Philly (Nobody but McNabb throwing the ball), Atlanta(Vick to Crumpler, that's it), Jacksonville(Because of Jimmy Smith's sudden retirement), and the Bears (All they even have is Muhhamed and Bradley is 2 years away). I think we're atleast better off than these teams I've named right now.

Granted, at some point they will be wrong (you have to figure the Bills can't lose forever) but until the Bills prove they can win I'm in agreement with most of the national media: The Bills stink at a lot of positions and WR is one of them.  Having 5-6 solid #3 type WRs doesn't make the receiving corps solid.

715163[/snapback]

Skinny is we have Evans as a #1 and he has not come close to producing as a #1 with Moulds (the old #1) out of the line up. Couple that with a bunch of street free agents and you basically have no proven #2 or even a guy that is highly likely to make himself one.

Agreed. Right now until proven otherwise we have a top motch #2 and a bunch of #3 WR's, and few ST WR's... That can't be ANY better than 27 out of 32 which is basically poor and definitely not good. Who cares if we are ranked by ESPN at 31 or 22. It does not matter!

Hope I am wrong come November. Go Bills!

Ranking positions in the NFL 1-32 is like ranking who's the prettiest girl in the Miss USA pageant. There's not that much of a difference in talent from top to bottom. This is the NFL not college football, I even think that the NFL team rankings are also a farce. The NFL is way to unpredictable for this exercise to even hold a small amount of water. There's too many factors that go into an NFL player's and team's successes to be able to accurately rank em 1-32.

Looking at our wide reciever corps I see a bunch of fast young players who've shown the ability to catch long touchdown passes. This is a good thing to have in my book. Who's number 1, 2 or 3? Who cares. The Pats won three Superbowls with a "group" of good receivers, not the "pecking order" star system we've had in the past.

If Evans can deliver, and peerless still has the form he had as a #2, then we could have some receivers...

Trouble with receivers is... you have to have a QB who can deliver and right now we don't even know who that is... Jerry Rice wouldn't be Jerry Rice without a Joe Montana or Steve Young throwing to him. I don't care how fast you are, or how well you run routes if the QB can't deliver it doesn't mean squat.

Given that ESPN ranked our QB's 29th, they don't have much faith in them either.

I think our receivers are better than our QB's... but that's just me.

That ranking is correct.

The only legitimate receiver on the roster is Lee Evans, who becomes the top guy. Expect him to see more double coverages and zones rolle his way than he's seen in his entire life.

Peerless Price flamed out in Atlanta and flopped in Dallas, where Bledsoe lobbied on his behalf with Bill Parcells. Sure, he could thrive if utilized properly, but based on his production after leaving the Bills he'll have to prove it.

Andre Davis is a burner when healthy, and that's the rub.

Roscoe Parrish also has durability issues and I don't have to remind anyone how undependable Josh Reed has become.

Of course, it's tough to catch balls when the quarterback can't get them to the receivers. Brett Favre would have a tough time operating behind what passes as an offensive line in Buffalo. And nobody is accusing Losman, Holcomb or Nall (especially Nall) of being in Favre's class.

That ranking is correct.

The only legitimate receiver on the roster is Lee Evans, who becomes the top guy. Expect him to see more double coverages and zones rolle his way than he's seen in his entire life.

Peerless Price flamed out in Atlanta and flopped in Dallas, where Bledsoe lobbied on his behalf with Bill Parcells. Sure, he could thrive if utilized properly, but based on his production after leaving the Bills he'll have to prove it.

Andre Davis is a burner when healthy, and that's the rub.

Roscoe Parrish also has durability issues and I don't have to remind anyone how undependable Josh Reed has become.

Of course, it's tough to catch balls when the quarterback can't get them to the receivers. Brett Favre would have a tough time operating behind what passes as an offensive line in Buffalo. And nobody is accusing Losman, Holcomb or Nall (especially Nall) of being in Favre's class.

716397[/snapback]

I don't know about 30th.....I can't be bothered looking through every team....but the gist of what ronbaskin was saying I generally agree with.

I feel rb was leaving out the potential upside to our WRs. As a group, I think we have immense potential at the receiver position...perhaps top 3 potential but.....

Until that potential is realized, we are(on paper) one of the cellar dwellers at WR. :pirate:

That is so wrong.  We should at least be 20th.

715152[/snapback]

The QB throwing to them was better, they would be rated higher. Holcomb and Losman were bare adequete and bad to pathetic respectively.

We have a #1 who never has been a #1, a potential #2 who was a good #3 but not a good #2, another #2 who was good for one year with one QB and no where else, a #3 or #4 who was our top pick one year but can not even look over shoulder of any of the QBs, and a bunch of can not bes, hopefuls and not enoughs.

Bills need a backup WR coach and lots and lots of practice.

I'd really be concerned about the ranking of our pass catchers if I had confidence in our pass throwers, and our hit-the defensive-linemen-before-they-knock-our pass-thrower-on-his-assers. We could have Andre Reed, Jerry Rice and Jason Witten out there, but if we can't get the ball to them it wouldn't make a dam bit of difference.