Sabres Draft, Dennis Persson D

millbank

Dennis Persson

Dennis Persson, D, Vasteras Jr.

Born: 6/2/88 Ht: 6-1 Wt: 181 Shoots: L

From NHL Central Scouting - See the ice very well...finds his forwards with long first passes...good overall skill level...can carry the puck out of danger...a mature, solid player with good overall attitude...a good team player who works hard.

From ISS: Persson is a good skater with good offensive instincts. Has a very heavy, low point shot that he generally keeps on net, causing lots of rebounds and making him a valuable PP triggerman. He kept things simple and controlled the play but still lacked some of that fire that we like to see. He still has to become more physical but the ability is there and as such, a high pick but a slow road for this talented Sweden

Dennis Persson

From NHL Central Scouting - See the ice very well...finds his forwards with long first passes...good overall skill level...can carry the puck out of danger...a mature, solid player with good overall attitude...a good team player who works hard.

From ISS: Persson is a good skater with good offensive instincts. Has a very heavy, low point shot that he generally keeps on net, causing lots of rebounds and making him a valuable PP triggerman. He kept things simple and controlled the play but still lacked some of that fire that we like to see. He still has to become more physical but the ability is there and as such, a high pick but a slow road for this talented Sweden

713746[/snapback]

In other news.

Calgary got Tanguay from Colorado.

Pavel Demitra also changed team but I can't remember where.

I know....I know...he won't be playing for the Sabres

for probably four years from now.....

but check out this analysis....

Buffalo Sabres - Dennis Persson, D

- The Sabres have recently made a run of drafting solid forwards, and Persson addresses the need to build on D. Bob McKenzie's take: "The Sabres want help on the back-end and obviously see potential in him because Buffalo went a bit off the board."

Damn....where have we seen that before!! Maybe the writer is related to ChrisMortenson or Peter King!!

I know....I know...he won't be playing for the Sabres

for probably four years from now.....

but check out this analysis....

Buffalo Sabres - Dennis Persson, D

- The Sabres have recently made a run of drafting solid forwards, and Persson addresses the need to build on D. Bob McKenzie's take: "The Sabres want help on the back-end and obviously see potential in him because Buffalo went a bit off the board."

Damn....where have we seen that before!! Maybe the writer is related to ChrisMortenson or Peter King!!

713750[/snapback]

Actually, he's Doug's brother, eh? Take off!

I just hope Darcy gets some defensive help with that 2nd round pick he got for Noronen... 0:)

Sabres with 57 pick Windsor Spitefire defensemen MIKE WEBER. He is said to be a big stay at home guy who gives much effort and is very physical.

713766[/snapback]

That could turn out to be a very nice pick. Top tier junior defensemen who is a good passer and won the hardest shot competition. Apparently he can skate, too.

to the Wild for Patrick O'Sullivan

713752[/snapback]

Demitra/Gaborik, should be a good combo.

I can't believe Florida traded Bertuzzi for Luongo. I think it was a bad move by the Panthers. We'll see.

Demitra/Gaborik, should be a good combo.

I can't believe Florida traded Bertuzzi for Luongo.  I think it was a bad move by the Panthers.  We'll see.

713772[/snapback]

They certainly gave up alot to get a guy who wasn't all there. Not a trade I'd have made.

With pick 117 Sabres Pick Fellix Schutz,

According to Kyle Woodlief, chief scout and publisher of the Red Line Report, an independent scouting newsletter widely used by general managers and chief scouts around the NHL, Felix Schutz is unquestionably a top sleeper pick.

Woodlief described Felix in a recent USA Today article as “easily the most overlooked top-end talent at any position this year is smallish, but gritty, German center Felix Schutz, who played for a dismal expansion team in Saint John but quickly became the main cog and most consistent performer on the team — all while adjusting to his first taste of North American life and hockey. A feisty and aggressive agitator, Schutz has terrific puck skills and does all the dirty work in the corners, digging free loose pucks and winning the little 1-on-1 battles against much bigger foes. He had no help in Saint John, so he had to do everything himself, yet never took a night or even a shift off, showing great mental strength and competitive drive”

Felix Schutz

So far four very solid picks by Sabres....

with pick 147 Alex Biega (Defense)

Alex Biega

They certainly gave up alot to get a guy who wasn't all there.  Not a trade I'd have made.

713774[/snapback]

I wouldn't have made that trade either, but my guess is they knew they could not get Luongo to sign long term and felt that IF getting out of Vancouver could get the punk's game back, it was a worthwile trade.

If the punk doesn't come around, there is probably somebody else out there (Bobby Clarke?) that thinks he could get the punk's game back. So Florida will likely get something in return in worst case.

I wouldn't have made that trade either, but my guess is they knew they could not get Luongo to sign long term and felt that IF getting out of Vancouver could get the punk's game back, it was a worthwile trade.

If the punk doesn't come around, there is probably somebody else out there (Bobby Clarke?) that thinks he could get the punk's game back.  So Florida will likely get something in return in worst case.

713817[/snapback]

It upsets me that Pronger doesn't wanna remain in Edmonton. What a year he had. I guess i could understand him though. It's not exactly the first place I'd live especially if i was a multimillionaire.

So far four very solid picks by Sabres....

with pick 147 Alex Biega (Defense)

Alex Biega

713791[/snapback]

A friend of mine who writes for a college hockey magazine out here in Boston (Brian Sullivan, Hockey Magazine East) wrote this about Biega:

Alex Biega-104-Harvard

5'10  191lbs defense 4/4/88

Salisbury Prep, USHSE 10-17=27 51 PIM 28 GP

Biega was a big name on the recruiting front as the New England Prep School Player of the Year, as named by Hockey Night in Boston. The manner in which the former Quebec U-17 d-man is described by his new head coach Ted Donato might lead you to misplace him on the roster sheet: a “dynamic skater”, a “high-end offensive guy with very good speed” and a strong puck-handler sound like qualities fit for an all-star wing, not a starting blueliner. Donato isn’t worried about Biega’s defense being sacrificed at the hands of his offense, either. “He’s solid defensively,” said the long-time Boston Bruins winger. “Like a lot of young players, he needs to learn to simplify his game, but he’s an extremely good all-around player.” Referring to the 18-year-old as a “momentum-changer”, Biega led Salisbury Prep his senior year with a +45 rating and averaged nearly a point per game. Heavily scouted from every corner of the hockey world, Biega was also drafted by USHL and QMJHL teams despite expressing a strong inclination to play college hockey. Harvard was the final winner, after weeding out the likes of BU, BC, UVM, Maine, Cornell, and UNH to name a few.

Sabres picked no. 207 in round seven Benjamin Breault a left shooting C .

Breault is a strong, smooth skater with great hands and good vision in the offensive zone. Not very big, he makes up for it with quickness, though he is willing to pay the price if necessary. Boasting not only a good nose for the net, Breault is also a gifted playmaker, willing to dispense the puck accurately and regularly. His strong offensive game is complemented by a willingness to pick up the slack in the defensive end when necessary. He could use to put on some size, in the hopes of giving him a bit of a physical game and some more strength on the puck.

Benjamin Breault

Dennis Persson

713746[/snapback]

Jesus, 6/2/88?