This Guy Gets It--Long

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our strategic goals are best served by empowering the Iraqis to stabilize their country on their own. Barring that, split the damn country up and put an end to this. Their grievances? THEIR GRIEVANCES? Their grievance is that they're no longer considered "special". Their grievance is that they no longer have the power to suppress the Shia and Kurds.

Their grievance isn't a real grievance in my opinion. The Shia and Kurds....now THEY have legitimate beefs toward the Sunni Arabs.

716174[/snapback]

Except that splitting the country up would just cause more war. Look at the regions surrounding Iraq, and look at where you'd be drawing the lines, and it doesn't solve anything.

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if you don't think that their grievance is legitimate or not. Hell, it more or less doesn't matter if America does. Until they are convinced of that, it won't stop.

There are still dozens of attacks daily on foreign troops.  Just because the media has got bored with reporting it, don't assume that it is no longer happening.

716160[/snapback]

There are dozens attacks on the troopps that are having little effect. But they still have a far greater impact on targeting civilian and infrastructure targets (which the US is trying to rebuild)

Whether the Sunnis feel disenfranchised now or not, the root of the ongoing insurgency is the tribalist chasm, which was my original point. So while US miliatry actions have certainly accelerated the Sunni/Shiite clash, you can't tell me that the same thing wouldn't have happened if Saddam suddenly died.

Your argument also backs the condescending notion that Muslims aren't predisposed to democracy - for the fear that the minority Sunnis will get wiped out by the majority Shiites once the government is in place.

Interesting that you don't dispute that the elections were a sham. So hile you agree with the fairness of the elections and the proportionate repesentation that Sunnis would get in the new government, you tacitly condone the actions of the disenfranchised minority to target civilians.

There is absolutely no logical standing to back the Sunnis' position. The only argument that you have is that they lost power they once had, and don't like it.

There is absolutely no logical standing to back the Sunnis' position.  The only argument that you have is that they lost power they once had, and don't like it.

716187[/snapback]

That's not enough? Really, if someone did that to you, you'd roll over and play dead?

Plus, it's not just power per se. More accurately, it's economic opportunity. People who had a chance to advance in their professions - even non-Ba'athists - are now unemployed simply because they're Sunni. High unemployment itself is usually cause for disturbances. High unemployment caused by biased policies of an occupying foreign power...? What do you expect they'd do?

That's not enough?  Really, if someone did that to you, you'd roll over and play dead? 

Plus, it's not just power per se.  More accurately, it's economic opportunity.  People who had a chance to advance in their professions - even non-Ba'athists - are now unemployed simply because they're Sunni.  High unemployment itself is usually cause for disturbances.  High unemployment caused by biased policies of an occupying foreign power...?  What do you expect they'd do?

716218[/snapback]

I wouldn't be happy with it, but I also wouldn't strap on a TNT vest and blow people into smithereens.

I also would have an understanding of what civil wars do to societies, and if there is a viable political alternative to my grievance, I'd follow that first.

Now, if you're aking me what I would do if I was an Iraqi Sunni, whose view of the world is clouded by Shiite deception and their devilish agent, Bush, then I would probably consider taking a few lunchtime shoppers on my excusrion to martyrdom. Of course, then I would also be reinforcing the position that these people still live in the Dark Ages.