So does Bruce Arena get fired???

ACor58

the other question is can the USA develop soccer players? I'm not sure they can. The best North American soccer player is Owen Hargreaves. Canadian. But plays for England now. He was 14-15 when he went to Bayern Munich Jr. team and they developed him. Sadly, if he had stayed in Canada, he wouldn't be the player he is now.

I think the brighest talents in the US have to go to Europe at an early age. It's a waste having Adu play in the MLS and he can barely crack the DC United starting line up. I'm not sure why there are calls to have him in the US team. He just doesn't seem like he's as good as his hype.

713206[/snapback]

Adu will be in Europe soon enough... I also think he'll play for Ghana over the US when his time comes....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big peeve I have is the whole "It takes time" load of crap. In 1994 we had the Cup here in the states. You're not going to get a bigger recruiting tool than that. Twelve years later and we've got an even worse team. Eight and nine year old kids back in '94 are now 19 and 20 years old. The US team's goalie is freaking 37. You're telling me that we've still got guys on the 2006 team that were on the 1990 team!?!?!?! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that team sucked.

So in 12 years we've managed to not get any better at all. In fact, a guy on the radio this morning said that in 270 (or so) minutes of World Cup play, they managed to fire off 4 shots on goal. Four shots?!?!?!? Hahahahahahahaha!

Yeah, let's give them more time to develop. Hahahahahahaha!

well, I think you guys have gotten better. You have to remember, US soccer was a joke in the past. Now, your a respectable nation when it comes to soccer you just can't compete with the big boys yet.

Your about on par with Australia...similiar type of development. How you get over the hump...I'm not sure...it will be tough. Especially with the emergence of African soccer and the East Asian soccer.

Without world class players, you'll never be more than an also ran. So until you have US players playing for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern, AC Milan, Juve, Man Utd. etc., you can't really compete with other teams that have world class soccer players. You have players from the KC Wizards, etc.

Alexei Lalas was a world class player. I was impressed with him whenever he played, a superb defender. Of course he is retired now.

Unfortunately you need at least 3 or 4 players of such talent to have a realistic chance in the World Cup and the rest of the team be of a good standard, at the moment the US has no player of that calibre. This will change, but it does take time.

At the moment the Aussies have some very good players who on their day can play against anybody (Viduka, Cahill, Schwartzer, Kewell) however they do not have the depth to be ranked highly.

(And you will also need a good manager - thank you Sven ;) )

Ya know what pisses me off??  The assumption that because America has a huge GDP it should automatically be one of the best in the world at soccer.

Here's a clue: the two are not linked.

It's not just this thread - I've watched the US Sports news and web pages, and you're all at it.

Get the frig over yoursleves.  In vest some more time and effort and support for soccer and you'll be better at it. Don't just expect the rest of the world to lie down when the face the US at soccer like they do all to often in politics, economics, environment, etc, etc, etc.

712974[/snapback]

I think a lot of the problem is that kids here are playing soccer more and more, but as they learn the stupidity that is the rules and that the ref has so much say in adjudicating penalties, etc. that they leave it to play a sport where the rules make more sense.

"You mean, if I'm so fast that I can get past the last defender on the field and put the ball in the net, the goal doesn't count?! If a player so much as cuts a loud fart in front of the goalie, it's called interference!? F--- this!"

I enjoy the main parameters of the sport, but FIFA sucks.

As for the topic, Arena sounds like he expects he's not long for the job.

"Four years ago I was completely burnt out after that whole thing. I was a zombie for about two weeks," he said. "Right now, I'm just an idiot."
Edited by UConn James

I think a lot of the problem is that kids here are playing soccer more and more, but as they learn the stupidity that is the rules and that the ref has so much say in adjudicating penalties, etc. that they leave it to play a sport where the rules make more sense.

"You mean, if I'm so fast that I can get past the last defender on the field and put the ball in the net, the goal doesn't count?! If a player so much as cuts a loud fart in front of the goalie, it's called interference!? F--- this!"

I enjoy the main parameters of the sport, but FIFA sucks.

713408[/snapback]

You mean if i so much as touch the players hand, it's a foul?

You mean if i wanna tie my shoes, i could tell the umpire to call for time?

You mean if it rains we stop playing?

Every sport has stupid rules.

yah...it's like saying...I can skate so fast that I can't get the puck...offside is in hockey too...

...it's very funny to watch the fans watch 4 soccer games in 4 years and then think they know what rules should be in place....

NFL football - I can't think of a greater sport where the refs have a say in adjudicating penalties. Soccer isn't even close to this. NHL - refs have the same say as they do in soccer.

yah...it's like saying...I can skate so fast that I can't get the puck...offside is in hockey too...

...it's very funny to watch the fans watch 4 soccer games in 4 years and then think they know what rules should be in place....

NFL football - I can't think of a greater sport where the refs have a say in adjudicating penalties. Soccer isn't even close to this. NHL - refs have the same say as they do in soccer.

713421[/snapback]

Offsides in hockey isn't even close to the same. In terms of the physical attributes, and then the small thing that it only requires the puckhandler to be the first to cross the line --- not that a defender must be in front. In soccer, there can not be a breakaway.

I watch more soccer than that, but regardless, it doesn't take a genius. I'm presenting the argument that a lot of kids in America don't continue playing soccer b/c the rules don't allow for much personal or team success. Not too many people who like to brag that they ran 10 miles in 90 minutes and the score was still 0-0 and that this is the case in like 40 percent of matches.

In no other sport that I can think of offhand could tripping someone equate to either a foul, a penalty kick, a yellow card or a red card, all at the discretion of one person.

713421[/snapback]

You're joking, right? The referees in soccer determine games on a regular basis. one goal is huge in soccer. giving a cheap penalty kick, as in us vs. ghana, or a botched call, as in south korea vs. switzerland, can completely change a game. it happens regularly. the equivalent calls in football are remembered forever-like just give it to em. the referees calls determine how the game is played, and occasionally the result, in soccer. there is no equivalent in american sports.

Offsides in hockey isn't even close to the same. In terms of the physical attributes, and then the small thing that it only requires the puckhandler to be the first to cross the line --- not that a defender must be in front. In soccer, there can not be a breakaway.

I watch more soccer than that, but regardless, it doesn't take a genius. I'm presenting the argument that a lot of kids in America don't continue playing soccer b/c the rules don't allow for much personal or team success. Not too many people who like to brag that they ran 10 miles in 90 minutes and the score was still 0-0 and that this is the case in like 40 percent of matches.

In no other sport that I can think of offhand could tripping someone equate to either a foul, a penalty kick, a yellow card or a red card, all at the discretion of one person.

713433[/snapback]

It is not like that in the lower levels. Despite the fact that World Cup has less goals, it often results because teams try and limit errors. There are some 0-0 games but there hasn't been too many.

There is plenty of opportunity for personal success. The best players in the world in soccer are the attacking players. Good players will tear through their leagues. It just becomes difficult in world competitions but of the added pressures and the small amount of games, followed by the fact that these players all came from grueling domestic and european league seasons.

And despite what you say, there is breakaways in soccer. A good through ball will beat any offside if done properly. The good players are the ones who can create them.