So does Bruce Arena get fired???

ACor58

When your back is against the wall, and you have everything to gain your pathetic ass excuse for a team goes out and loses to a country with a GDP of $54.45 billion (slightly less than the state of Delaware and Ethiopia of all places.)

If anyone at U.S. Soccer has any balls, which I am sure that they don't because it IS soccer after all, they would fire him now and make him find his own way home.

I know that I am going to hear the following arguments:

1.) Ghana beat the Czechs

2.) It's their national sport

3.) Something else that doesn't really matter

Never, under any circumstance, should a team with all of the resources that we have, ever lose to 3rd world freaking country. I am embarrassed for the players and their families and they should all turn in their gear because none of them deserve to wear the Red, White, and Blue ever again!

712426[/snapback]

Obviously, the GDP has nothing to do with it. Soccer is one of the cheapest sports to play, which explains its broad international popularity.

What's truly embarrasing is that, given our enormous population size, we can't find a couple dozen players who can play worth a damn.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sh-- - We dominate the world it most every other sport... I guess we can give some other country where people don't shower and can't afford shoes the title in faggity-ass soccer.

712732[/snapback]

when was the last time we dominated the world in any sport? We cant win olympic basketball. We didnt win the world hockey championship. nor did we win the World Baseball Championship. Lets face it people, the rest of the world has caught up to the fat lazy selfish Americans..... :rolleyes:

when was the last time we dominated the world in any sport? We cant win olympic basketball. We didnt win the world hockey championship. nor did we win the World Baseball Championship. Lets face it people, the rest of the world has caught up to the fat lazy selfish Americans..... :rolleyes:

712837[/snapback]

fat lazy selfish Americans...

Fat and Lazy in baseball

Fat and Lazy in football

fat and lazy in basketball

Fat and Lazy in hockey

Just because Americans are typically obese doesn't mean you should join the international bashing of our athletes. No, we haven't won a huge championship in a while... why? It's us against the world... Look at the Davis Cup in Golf. One team is EUROPE... the other is the US. Don't label our athletes as fat and lazy because a good portion of our population who watches them is.

Oh, and this is !@#$ing soccer... who gives a sh--. Its a sport where open racism is still OK, and riots start at every other match.

Fat and lazy was more of a reference to fat wallet, and lazy as in wont work for the team "USA". It doesnt benefit them in a financial way, so why give a crap. I mispoke in a hurried fashion, and you corrected me. Obviously, the pix you posted are of star athletes. But when was the last time Team USA won a world title in the big 3 international (olympic) sports of baseball, hockey, and Basketball. I dont even remember. Maybe basketball 12 years ago?

I realize we are talking about Soccer. A sport not many people really care about. But I wouldnt say we dominate at the other sports either, like you did. I just would like to see a USA team that played with heart and guts. I dont think that is too much to ask...

Ya know what pisses me off?? The assumption that because America has a huge GDP it should automatically be one of the best in the world at soccer.

Here's a clue: the two are not linked.

It's not just this thread - I've watched the US Sports news and web pages, and you're all at it.

Get the frig over yoursleves. In vest some more time and effort and support for soccer and you'll be better at it. Don't just expect the rest of the world to lie down when the face the US at soccer like they do all to often in politics, economics, environment, etc, etc, etc.

In vest some more time and effort and support for soccer and you'll be better at it. Don't just expect the rest of the world to lie down when the face the US at soccer like they do all to often in politics, economics, environment, etc, etc, etc.

712974[/snapback]

Nobody expects anyone to lie down in the face of US soccer, and you know that Nick. Do some people moan and gnash their teeth at a US loss in any sport? Yes, because we have been raised believing we are the best at whatever we set our minds to. Truth is soccer just isn't 'our cup of tea' so the best atheletes move on to other sports. We had an OK team and we lost, period, end of story.

there is a huge difference in "can't win" and "don't give a rats ass about international play", I bet if there was an international accountants championship that required you to work your ass off for in order to win a shiny trinket, all for something that you do everyday anyway and actually get paid for, see how many of our top accoutants would finish on top

712837[/snapback]

Nobody expects anyone to lie down in the face of US soccer, and you know that Nick.  Do some people moan and gnash their teeth at a US loss in any sport?  Yes, because we have been raised believing we are the best at whatever we set our minds to.  Truth is soccer just isn't 'our cup of tea' so the best atheletes move on to other sports.  We had an OK team and we lost, period, end of story.

712996[/snapback]

I just can't believe with all these Bills fans here, no one sees a conspiracy in the calls made both in the Italy game and yesterday. I mean that dude doesn't get that penalty kick, maybe a whole differant game in the second half. Now I must qualify that by saying aI know nothing about soccer calls, or how they could affect strategy for the second half.

As to Nicks post, I think you've got it a little backwards. We do not expect the world to bend over for us, but the problem was this team got hyped. Most of us never watch a WC qualifying match, and certainly nevber watch a friendly, and hardly any Euro club soccer at all, we maybe catch the championship game.

So what do we hear heading to the WC? we are ranked # 5 in the world. We don't know those rankings are BS, to us they are official rankings.Hey, we all think, maybe we got something here. And seeing how the rest of the world would love to see the US get its ass handed to them, I'm excited now.

Then we watch the first game, seems like WE did the laying down. Then we see the second game, hey we at least loooked like we tried, good effort.Then yesterday, and jeez, it just looked like they didn't care. It may be the sport and we just do not understand it, but crimminy they looked like they had already adavance, not facing elimination. We are used to sports where its pretty easy to determine who is giving their all, and aggresive play usually wins. Maybe thats not the case here.

Again, I think if the US went in not expected to advance, we wouldn't all be so pissed with them

I just can't believe with all these Bills fans here, no one sees a conspiracy in the calls made both in the Italy game and yesterday. I mean that dude doesn't get that penalty kick, maybe a whole differant game in the second half. Now I must qualify that by saying aI know nothing about soccer calls, or how they could affect strategy for the second half.

As to Nicks post, I think you've got it a little backwards. We do not expect the world to bend over for us, but the problem was this team got hyped. Most of us never watch a WC qualifying match, and certainly nevber watch a friendly, and hardly any Euro club soccer at all, we maybe catch the championship game.

So what do we hear heading to the WC? we are ranked # 5 in the world. We don't know those rankings are BS, to us they are official rankings.Hey, we all think, maybe we got something here. And seeing how the rest of the world would love to see the US get its ass handed to them, I'm excited now.

Then we watch the first game, seems like WE did the laying down. Then we see the second game, hey we at least loooked like we tried, good effort.Then yesterday, and jeez, it just looked like they didn't care. It may be the sport and we just do not understand it, but crimminy they looked like they had already adavance, not facing elimination. We are used to sports where its pretty easy to determine who is giving their all, and aggresive play usually wins. Maybe thats not the case here.

Again, I think if the US went in not expected to advance, we wouldn't all be so pissed with them

713012[/snapback]

The thing is - nobody but the US expected them to advance...

Welcome to the English experience of World Cup soccer - lots of hype, and lots of hope mixed with plenty more despair and disappointment.

40 years of hurt.

Nobody expects anyone to lie down in the face of US soccer, and you know that Nick.  Do some people moan and gnash their teeth at a US loss in any sport?  Yes, because we have been raised believing we are the best at whatever we set our minds to.  Truth is soccer just isn't 'our cup of tea' so the best atheletes move on to other sports.  We had an OK team and we lost, period, end of story.

712996[/snapback]

I'm glad you recognised that I am being a littl e bit of a devis advocate here... ;)

Well if Michael Caine can take a camp full of prisoners, beat the German National Team with Sylvester Stallone as goalie AND escape in the ensuing melee.....what's Bruce Arena's excuse???

The most frustrating thing about soccer to me is in the closing minutes of a tied or one goal game. Nobody seems to hustle or bust their ass. Seems business as usual...no sense of urgency comes across.

Also the sallys that get taken of the field on a stretcher, they spray some schiatt on their ankle and abracadabra...it's healed. What's in that can and where can I get some?

Well if Michael Caine can take a camp full of prisoners, beat the German National Team with Sylvester Stallone as goalie AND escape in the ensuing melee.....what's Bruce Arena's excuse???

The most frustrating thing about soccer to me is in the closing minutes of a tied or one goal game. Nobody seems to hustle or bust their ass. Seems business as usual...no sense of urgency comes across.

Also the sallys that get taken of the field on a stretcher, they spray some schiatt on their ankle and abracadabra...it's healed. What's in that can and where can I get some?

713152[/snapback]

It's called novacaine.

The thing is - nobody but the US expected them to advance...

Welcome to the English experience of World Cup soccer - lots of hype, and lots of hope mixed with plenty more despair and disappointment.

40 years of hurt.

713021[/snapback]

Ahh you're up to 40 years of hurt. I'm up to 22 years of hurt. Could be 26 very soon.

Good luck the rest of the way.

It's called novacaine.

713163[/snapback]

In a can....who woulda thunk?

Having had Novacaine injected into my gums pretty much rendering my face unusable and without feeling, how tough is it to run on the foot? Granted I'm comparing an injection to a spray, but if the ankle is sprained what the hell good does it do to spray it on one's skin, or as I saw in one game....right on the sock.

In a can....who woulda thunk?

Having had Novacaine injected into my gums pretty much rendering my face unusable and without feeling, how tough is it to run on the foot? Granted I'm comparing an injection to a spray, but if the ankle is sprained what the hell good does it do to spray it on one's skin, or as I saw in one game....right on the sock.

713179[/snapback]

I honestly have no idea. They only use it for world cup. Remember like i said in another thread, they have only 3 subs. If a guy pulls a hamstring, spray him and get back on the field. Long term though, I'm pretty sure that's detrimental to the muscle you're spraying.

the other question is can the USA develop soccer players? I'm not sure they can. The best North American soccer player is Owen Hargreaves. Canadian. But plays for England now. He was 14-15 when he went to Bayern Munich Jr. team and they developed him. Sadly, if he had stayed in Canada, he wouldn't be the player he is now.

I think the brighest talents in the US have to go to Europe at an early age. It's a waste having Adu play in the MLS and he can barely crack the DC United starting line up. I'm not sure why there are calls to have him in the US team. He just doesn't seem like he's as good as his hype.