AOL at its finest

The Poojer

Okay, I admit I have aol. But it is only for one reason, and maybe someone here can lead me to something so I can finally rid myself of the goddamn bastages.

AOL has this awesome feature called AOL Voicemail, where you get your emails over the phone. I use it a couple times a day, and haven't seen any other email service like hotmail or yahoo or gmail that offers it. You call a toll-free number and a computer voice reads your emails for you. And then if you want to reply to them, the person who sent you the email is sent a file like a voicemail in your voice that they can listen to over their computer. It's an awesome service but I keep my aol account just for that. Anyone know another service that does it?

It's $7.95 a month but that includes a regular voicemail service for my home phone which the phone company or some other service charges anyway. And the email by phone and voicemail is in the same spot so you just call the toll free number from your cell and it says you have voicemail and you have email.

I really don't want to have to resort to a blackberry or pay a service to get my emails transferred to my cell and then mess with them on the tiny little keyboard.

Okay, I admit I have aol. But it is only for one reason, and maybe someone here can lead me to something so I can finally rid myself of the goddamn bastages.

AOL has this awesome feature called AOL Voicemail, where you get your emails over the phone. I use it a couple times a day, and haven't seen any other email service like hotmail or yahoo or gmail that offers it. You call a toll-free number and a computer voice reads your emails for you. And then if you want to reply to them, the person who sent you the email is sent a file like a voicemail in your voice that they can listen to over their computer. It's an awesome service but I keep my aol account just for that. Anyone know another service that does it?

It's $7.95 a month but that includes a regular voicemail service for my home phone which the phone company or some other service charges anyway. And the email by phone and voicemail is in the same spot so you just call the toll free number from your cell and it says you have voicemail and you have email.

I really don't want to have to resort to a blackberry or pay a service to get my emails transferred to my cell and then mess with them on the tiny little  keyboard.

712413[/snapback]

Unless you are using your AOL account for work, why would you ever want to check your email by phone and why would you ever want to respond by phone. It sounds like you are addicted to the email buddy. Just let it go.

give me your id and passowrd..for $5 per month I will read them to you..

712448[/snapback]

:P If you had a sexier voice than this computer lady, I would. And her voice ain't sexy at all. Plus, I know you aren't available 24-7-365.25 like she is, you spend a significant amount of time in the gutter.

:doh: If you had a sexier voice than this computer lady, I would. And her voice ain't sexy at all. Plus, I know you aren't available 24-7-365.25 like she is, you spend a significant amount of time in the gutter.

712457[/snapback]

You only like the service when she reads you your spam email, don't you?

"Hey baby, enlarge your unit today - take v14gr4 and grow your penis!"

:rolleyes:

CW

I really don't want to have to resort to a blackberry or pay a service to get my emails transferred to my cell and then mess with them on the tiny little  keyboard.

712413[/snapback]

Kelly, I was just reading in today's paper a review of a new service from a company called Voice Genesis. Their site is here.

Essentially you can have emails sent to any phone (right now it's only with Verizon), but you can also call record a voice message and email it to any account.

Plus, it's only $5/month for the service. The article says T-Mobile, Cingular and Sprint will soon offer the service, though Cingular will require a data plan for additional costs.

May be worth looking into. Hell, anything to free you from AOL.

I was a CompuServe subscriber for many years - the '80's, and DOS text-based. Very spiffy.

CS required that you use your real (billing) name, and member number. Couldn't hide behind a psuedonym and spew, no sir. :)

When AOL bought them out, you then could use a phony ID .

Retrograde... :lol:

Edited by stuckincincy

Had AOL in 94. Within about 3 months, I was using it an hour a month. Glad I canceled it then.

They do make good coasters, though- but I haven't gotten any recently.

He should switch to Comcast.  Check out their great service

714997[/snapback]

Of course Comcast "deals with the issue at hand" by firing the guy who fell asleep while doing nothing about the fact that he spent 90 minutes on hold with his own company... ;)