Does longevity make someone a HOFer?

MrLocke

My opinion of Drew Bledsoe isn't that he has nothing to offer, it's that what he does have to offer is negated by turnovers and mistakes. For having such great hands I wonder why he's fumbled more then any other QB over the last four years. Maybe it's because he takes so many sacks. People thought that might be more the Bills line, that was until he posted another 49 sack year in Dallas, a year which he also tied for the NFL lead in fumbles

The problem is great performances by a QB will probably get you a win, but 4 turnover games will guarantee get you a loss. Drew Bledsoe will guarantee these types of games every year, and the probability of this happening drastically increases against stronger competition. Just the type of competition he would have to face in the playoffs.

715615[/snapback]

Case in point, in the past 3 years (48 games) Bledsoe has put up the following turnover stats:

41 Fumbles (23 lost)

45 Ints

He averages a fumble (.5 lost) and an INT per game. That means that for every game in which he doesn't turn the ball over he has one in which he alone coughs it up 3 times. Even with a QB that can make plays (which Bledsoe can) that equals a team that's going to hover around 8-8 at best. If anybody else on that teams has butter fingers that team is pretty much doomed.

And these past few years have been only slightly worse than his previous years. For his career Bledsoe averages 1.4 turnovers a game.

To put some perspective on this Bledsoe turned the ball over 25 times last year. That’s more than 11 teams had TOTAL on the year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion of Drew Bledsoe isn't that he has nothing to offer, it's that what he does have to offer is negated by turnovers and mistakes. For having such great hands I wonder why he's fumbled more then any other QB over the last four years. Maybe it's because he takes so many sacks. People thought that might be more the Bills line, that was until he posted another 49 sack year in Dallas, a year which he also tied for the NFL lead in fumbles

The problem is great performances by a QB will probably get you a win, but 4 turnover games will guarantee you a loss. Drew Bledsoe will guarantee these types of games every year, and the probability of this happening drastically increases against stronger competition. Just the type of competition he would have to face in the playoffs.

715615[/snapback]

My sense is that the facts offered up by contrsting Bledsoe\s performance under TC with Bledsoe's performance under Killdrive show fairly clearly that it is specifically because Bledsoe cannot escape sacks and has a propensity to cough the ball up when taking these hits that it is critical that the OC call a particular style of game to be most succssful with Bledsoe.

I think their is a clear difference between the success Bledsoe had (none) running the second go round of the Killdrive scheme and that he had running the TC scheme (a winning record and missing the playoffs when they got killed in the last game).

I do not think Bledsoe is good enough to lead a team to the SB anhmore (he was before as he did this early in his career unless he has a great ST and D to back him up) He know clearly needs as well supporting leadership on the O.

He almost made the playoffs with the Bills and last year with the Boys, but fell short as his deficits were not over come by his teammates being great players.

Thiugh I doubt the Boys even get to the SB under almost all circumstances, he could well get to the playoffs with this team given the strong guidance of Parcells and a number of talented players (including that idiot TD the Boys have accumulated.

Do you disagree and think there is no chance the Boys with Bledsoe at QB will male the playoffs?

Bledsoe ain't goshes gift to QBing, but he easily could be adequate enough at QB to be one of the few QBs in the NFL to lead his team to the playoffs as their offensive signal transferer.

Do you disagree and think there is no chance the Boys with Bledsoe at QB will male the playoffs?

Bledsoe ain't goshes gift to QBing, but he easily could be adequate enough at QB to be one of the few QBs in the NFL to lead his team to the playoffs as their offensive signal transferer.

715800[/snapback]

No, I think they have a chance at the playoffs. I just think at that point they have no chance at the Super Bowl.

When he has time to throw I would pick few QB's in the league over Drew. When he doesn't he literally goes the polar opposite direction. His mental clock has only slowed with age, and I don't see any line in the league capable of protecting him when every coordinator in the league will send the house. You need to show you can beat the blitz to stop the blitz. Drew can't do that anymore. So regardless if they get in beating up against weaker clubs they will face strong teams in the playoffs. Drew will then turn it over, and Dallas fans and Jerry Jones will be left to wonder what other peaces Drew will need to win it next year.