Beef on Weck Article

I'll use this opportunity to throw in another plug for Mister Dee's in Cheektowaga. It's located at 450 Beach Rd. I think the cross street is Maryvale. Anyway it's pretty close to Genesee, so it's not far from the airport.

They have very good wings (not THE BEST...but, damn good) and one of the best Beef-on-Wecks around. There are few places that do both as well as Mister Dee's. The past few times I was in town, the beef I had there rivaled Schwabels. First fuc#ing rate! It's a great place to go as soon as you land at the Bufftown airport...or the last place to go before leaving town.

Another place that always did a good job with the wing-beef combo was Kelly's Corner on Elmwood ave (in Kenmore, I believe). Not quite as goood as Mister Dee's (all around), but very good and a good neighborhood bar.

The prices at both of these joints are VERY reasonable.

I'll use this opportunity to throw in another plug for Mister Dee's in Cheektowaga.  It's located at 450 Beach Rd.  I think the cross street is Maryvale.  Anyway it's pretty close to Genesee, so it's not far from the airport.

They have very good wings (not THE BEST...but, damn good) and one of the best Beef-on-Wecks around.  There are few places that do both as well as Mister Dee's.  The past few times I was in town, the beef I had there rivaled Schwabels.  First fuc#ing rate!  It's a great place to go as soon as you land at the Bufftown airport...or the last place to go before leaving town.

713189[/snapback]

Thanks. I always stay at a hotel right near the airport, so I'll give Mister Dee's a try.

Another place that always did a good job with the wing-beef combo was Kelly's Corner on Elmwood ave (in Kenmore, I believe).  Not quite as goood as Mister Dee's (all around), but very good and a good neighborhood bar.

713189[/snapback]

It's in Buffalo, on Deleware Ave. just north of the YMCA. That's the area of town I grew up in. I knew the late Bob and Marge Kelly well, and current owner, son Patrick.

I'll use this opportunity to throw in another plug for Mister Dee's in Cheektowaga.  It's located at 450 Beach Rd.  I think the cross street is Maryvale.  Anyway it's pretty close to Genesee, so it's not far from the airport.

They have very good wings (not THE BEST...but, damn good) and one of the best Beef-on-Wecks around.  There are few places that do both as well as Mister Dee's.  The past few times I was in town, the beef I had there rivaled Schwabels.  First fuc#ing rate!  It's a great place to go as soon as you land at the Bufftown airport...or the last place to go before leaving town.

Another place that always did a good job with the wing-beef combo was Kelly's Corner on Elmwood ave (in Kenmore, I believe).  Not quite as goood as Mister Dee's (all around), but very good and a good neighborhood bar.

713189[/snapback]

I was in Kelly's Corner fairly recently. After all, being Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog I felt it was my doggie duty. It was $5.00 for a delicious beef on weck AND a cold beer at lunch. And not just a daily special, that was the normal everyday deal. Amazing, at least when you live outside of Buffalo.

It's in Buffalo, on Deleware Ave. just north of the YMCA.  That's the area of town I grew up in.  I knew the late Bob and Marge Kelly well, and current owner, son Patrick.

713229[/snapback]

I knew that..what makes you think I didn't know that? (Just because I TYPED Elmwood?)

Sheesh...my brain is fried.

Thanks for the correction, Cincy

I was in Kelly's Corner fairly recently. After all, being Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog I felt it was my doggie duty. It was $5.00 for a delicious beef on weck AND a cold beer at lunch. And not just a daily special, that was the normal everyday deal. Amazing, at least when you live outside of Buffalo.

713256[/snapback]

Excellent deal, indeed.

One other note...In Niagara Falls, on Military Road (across the street from the Outlet Mall), there's a bar called Judy's Lounge. Last time I was there they had an everyday offering of an order of wings (damn good wings) and a small pitcher of beer (including Canadian beer) for $5.50. Sweet.

And The Senator and I went to lunch at Jonfres (on Niagara St. and 27th in Niagara Falls) for lunch in March. Two good beef-on-wecks (note: not the Schwabel-style rare aujus beef..but, more well done in a light gravy), two pints of Molson, a shot of Crown Royal and a shot of Jagermeister...

Grand total...$15.50