New from EA sports:

Buftex

Anyone plan on picking this up?  It might whet your appetite, until Madden comes out!  I know a lot of people are down on Madden, and the fact that EA has an exclusive rights deal with the NFL, but I still think, play wise, they make the best sports games:

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach/index.jsp

710936[/snapback]

Whet my appetite? If this game is half of what they say it is then I'll skip Madden all-together! :huh:

I love this stuff and will be picking up my copy today.

See my other post:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=47450

EA sports had a demo available to try out, with some features in the new game. Now i love madden, and i love the franchise mode, but i dont think i'll buy head coach. I am going to rent it and go from there, but here are some comments i had from the demo.

1. The menus and game navigation are very complicated, and it isnt streamlined at all. This may not matter to some, but it can get very frustrating and tedious trying to do a simple task such as signing a free agent or trading for a player.

2. The AI in the draft isnt the greatest. If you let the AI draft, the Texans will always select Hawk #1, because MLB is a need and RB isnt. Every game review i have seem and the times i played the demo, the packers always took Chris Gocong at #5. In real life he didnt go until the 3rd round. Bush usually fell to 7-10, and often times vince young fell to the early 20's. Also, guys like bunkley, tye hill, etc often didnt go until round 2.

3. Coaching the game got a bit tedious. Sure its fun for a bit, then it gets frustrating. You can make adjustments, ie telling your corners to play up or telling your line to watch for the blitz, but you cant really see what the other defense is doing because the camera angle is almost sideline.

I am a die hard madden gamer, and i am going to give this game a chance and rent it, but from playing the demo i am not sold. The game just gets too tedious and time consuming to do the simplest tasks. The most fun parts of the game are the offseason, and the lack of streamlining makes that part of the game much too tedious.

EA sports had a demo available to try out, with some features in the new game. Now i love madden, and i love the franchise mode, but i dont think i'll buy head coach. I am going to rent it and go from there, but here are some comments i had from the demo.

1. The menus and game navigation are very complicated, and it isnt streamlined at all. This may not matter to some, but it can get very frustrating and tedious trying to do a simple task such as signing a free agent or trading for a player.

2. The AI in the draft isnt the greatest. If you let the AI draft, the Texans will always select Hawk #1, because MLB is a need and RB isnt. Every game review i have seem and the times i played the demo, the packers always took Chris Gocong at #5. In real life he didnt go until the 3rd round. Bush usually fell to 7-10, and often times vince young fell to the early 20's. Also, guys like bunkley, tye hill, etc often didnt go until round 2.

3. Coaching the game got a bit tedious. Sure its fun for a bit, then it gets frustrating. You can make adjustments, ie telling your corners to play up or telling your line to watch for the blitz, but you cant really see what the other defense is doing because the camera angle is almost sideline.

I am a die hard madden gamer, and i am going to give this game a chance and rent it, but from playing the demo i am not sold. The game just gets too tedious and time consuming to do the simplest tasks. The most fun parts of the game are the offseason, and the lack of streamlining makes that part of the game much too tedious.

711049[/snapback]

Just curious, do you get the option of playing or coaching the game? I know, it is supposed to be a coaching game, but I am just wondering if both options are available.

What you say about the tedious element of signing free agents, etc is not appealing, and would likely make me stay away. If it is supposed to be a coach/GM kind of game, it seems silly that they wouldn't make this part of the game less aggrivating than it is in Madden.

I love Madden too, but I will say, I wasn't bowled over by the 2006 edition. It was mostly identical to 2005...it is likely the least I have played any Madden game, over the course of a year. I guess there is only so much they can do...I started playing the EA Sports NHL hockey game. It is difficult to master, and has kept me pretty interested, with my limited gaming time. Even at the easiest level, I have a tough time scoring goals...I am the Maxim Afinagenov of EA NHL hockey!

Just curious, do you get the option of playing or coaching the game?  I know, it is supposed to be a coaching game, but I am just wondering if both options are available. 

What you say about the tedious element of signing free agents, etc is not appealing, and would likely make me stay away.  If it is supposed to be a coach/GM kind of game, it seems silly that they wouldn't make this part of the game less aggrivating than it is in Madden. 

I love Madden too, but I will say, I wasn't bowled over by the 2006 edition.  It was mostly identical to 2005...it is likely the least I have played any Madden game, over the course of a year.  I guess there is only so much they can do...I started playing the EA Sports NHL hockey game.  It is difficult to master, and has kept me pretty interested, with my limited gaming time.  Even at the easiest level, I have a tough time scoring goals...I am the Maxim Afinagenov of EA NHL hockey!

711234[/snapback]

You can onyl coach the game. As for me, i thought this game would be awesome, because i love doing franchise mode in madden. Heres a few comments about the tedium...

you have a schedule for all your coaching duties. but to sign FA's or trade players, etc, you have schedule that in. so you hafta remove 1 event, then schedule in a free agent signing. also, i believe its only 1 player transaction per designated time period, so you hafta keep scheduling those events until you are happy

with respect to roster organization, i think its terrible. they arent organized madden style. you go to your roster, and select a position or team, say QB's. It will bring up 3 player icons with their player number. they you need to select a player to see their attributes. they you have to exit out 3 or 4 menus to start again to see another player or team.

and finally, with play calling, plays arent organized by formation, they are organized by distance and down (1st down, 2nd and short, 3rd and short/med/long, etc), which makes it a lot tougher to find a specific type of play, say a 3 WR set running play

It sounds like i am trashing the game, but i am not trying to. I just feel from playing the demo that the game will get very tedious after a little while, and that it isnt streamlined well at all. They make you do too many separate actions to do something simple like a trade or a free agent signing. I still am going to rent the game and see how i like the full version.

Does anyone know if this will be offered for the PC also?

711236[/snapback]

it will, and the game is available as a downloadable file from EA's website or somewhere. Not sure if the PC version will be released on CD.

I started playing the EA Sports NHL hockey game.  It is difficult to master, and has kept me pretty interested, with my limited gaming time.  Even at the easiest level, I have a tough time scoring goals...I am the Maxim Afinagenov of EA NHL hockey!

711234[/snapback]

2006? I just finished a season with the Sabres winning the Cup over the Kings a couple weeks back! I did that on Easy level (I always start my games on Easy and then work my way up) and was ready to try the next level,but instead Im trying the Dynasty mode.

2006? I just finished a season with the Sabres winning the Cup over the Kings a couple weeks back!  I did that on Easy level (I always start my games on Easy and then work my way up) and was ready to try the next level,but instead Im trying the Dynasty mode.

711506[/snapback]

Yeah, 2006...I am almost done with a season, and am currently 4pts ahead in the race for the 7th seed in the playoffs. I just have a real tough time scoring goals. I guess I don't have the hand-eye thing down for the hockey game...I didn't really start winning games with any regularity, until I traded Maxim Afinagenov and Mika Norenon, for Saku Koivu. He and Hecht are my money guys. I think I have 43 goals with Hecht, and 42 with Koivu. Briere and Drury (the other two "star" players) only have about 25 each...I also traded James Patrick for Bob Boughner, and Taylor Pyatt and and Shane Botterel, for Steven Quintell, and Vaclov Varada (an old fave of mine from the 1999 season!).

When I started the season, I was trying to keep the lineup as close to the real Sabres as possible...after lots of frustrating losses, I had to give Ryan Miller a seat for Biron. With Miller, the computer would always score a go-ahead, or tying goal in the waining seconds. Going with the "best lines" resulted in Jay Mckee playing very little the whole season.

I have 6 OT losses, and no OT wins....the shootout is atrocious!

I have watched hockey my whole life, but never played it. I guess their are some strategy things, on the game, that I can't seem to figure out. For instance, even when a choose a "conservative" offense, I never have a defensemen who stays at the point. One of my favorite plays in real hockey is when a forward flips the puck back to the point to the defenseman at the point, who one-times it past the goalie...I can't get that play to work, the defensemen always come in too far...very frustrating. Most of my goals come on break aways, or one on ones.

Yeah, 2006...I am almost done with a season, and am currently 4pts ahead in the race for the 7th seed in the playoffs.  I just have a real tough time scoring goals.  I guess I don't have the hand-eye thing down for the hockey game...I didn't really start winning games with any regularity, until I traded Maxim Afinagenov and Mika Norenon, for Saku Koivu.  He and Hecht are my money guys.  I think I have 43 goals with Hecht, and 42 with Koivu.  Briere and Drury (the other two "star" players) only have about 25 each...I also traded James Patrick for Bob Boughner, and Taylor Pyatt and and Shane Botterel, for Steven Quintell, and Vaclov Varada (an old fave of mine from the 1999 season!). 

When I started the season, I was trying to keep the lineup as close to the real Sabres as possible...after lots of frustrating losses, I had to give Ryan Miller a seat for Biron.  With Miller, the computer would always score a go-ahead, or tying goal in the waining seconds. Going with the "best lines" resulted in Jay Mckee playing very little the whole season. 

I have 6 OT losses, and no OT wins....the shootout is atrocious!

I have watched hockey my whole life, but never played it.  I guess their are some strategy things, on the game, that I can't seem to figure out.  For instance, even when a choose a "conservative" offense, I never have a defensemen who stays at the point.  One of my favorite plays in real hockey is when a forward flips the puck back to the point to the defenseman at the point, who one-times it past the goalie...I can't get that play to work, the defensemen always come in too far...very frustrating.  Most of my goals come on break aways, or one on ones.

711514[/snapback]

sounds like the game is a challenge, and sounds like you like it. I am strongly considering getting 07, because its been a while since i had a good NHL game (nhl 03)