Chris Angel...

stevestojan

1) way too much camera work on that stuff. You have no idea if it looks real in person. Also seems like the bystanders are a little too over the top....

2) Obviously none of it is real, but the way they present / produce blaine seems cooler.

3) I had a friend who worked alongside one of the mindfreak episodes...had to sign the super non disclosure about the trick.

Angel is such a Blaine ripoff and is quite inferior to Blaine IMO. Blaine has a charisma where Angel seems very unlikeable and attention starved to me. The thing that makes Blaines tricks so amazing is the responses by people- they are absolutely, genuinely blown away and there is no way its contrived. Everything Angel does seems so contrived wtih camera work and peoples phoney reactions. David Blaine is the man and the original

Angel is such a Blaine ripoff and is quite inferior to Blaine IMO.  Blaine has a charisma where Angel seems very unlikeable and attention starved to me.  The thing that makes Blaines tricks so amazing is the responses by people- they are absolutely, genuinely blown away and there is no way its contrived.  Everything Angel does seems so contrived wtih camera work and peoples phoney reactions.  David Blaine is the man and the original

710900[/snapback]

Well, I think of Copperfield as more of an originator than David Blaine.

Angel is such a Blaine ripoff and is quite inferior to Blaine IMO.  Blaine has a charisma where Angel seems very unlikeable and attention starved to me.  The thing that makes Blaines tricks so amazing is the responses by people- they are absolutely, genuinely blown away and there is no way its contrived.  Everything Angel does seems so contrived wtih camera work and peoples phoney reactions.  David Blaine is the man and the original

710900[/snapback]

I totally agree. Blaine's early stuff was just great.

Well, I think of Copperfield as more of an originator than David Blaine.

I don't think you can really compare the two. Doing large scale tricks on stage or TV with hundreds of people behind the scenes and as many optical illusion/mirrors/etc... that you can cram in isn't really the same as "street magic" like these guys do. Just the fact that it's so up close and personal makes all the difference. These guys learn their art and perform with no net. With Blaine, it doesn't matter to me that it's not magic. It's still just impressive as hell.

I watched Blaine in NYC a couple months after 9/11. Maybe 3-4 of us watching him him do a couple tricks in front of our eyes on some street near Times Square. I was truly amazed.

At the time I didn't know who he was and when I saw him on TV several months later I was like "Hey, I saw this guy in NYC on the street."

The 2 tricks he played in front of us: Cigarette through a Quarter, and the Quarter fitting into the Beer Bottle, stick in my mind. The guy is a great magician. Proud to say I met him.

Blaine by a landslide for me. :huh:

Blaine has a charisma where Angel seems very unlikeable and attention starved to me.

710900[/snapback]

Blaine has Charisma????? :huh::)

He reminds me of a perma stoned college student. He shows almost no emotions and his voice is so monotone it sounds like he is about to fall asleep at any moment.

Both him and Angel are good. But Blaine does more of the over the top publicity stunt type tricks that push his body to the limit, where as Angel does more of the quick how did he do that type tricks for a small crowd. He takes the old magic tricks like sawing a person in half and does a more extreme version of it.

Blaine definitly has some great street magic stuff but his huge over the top stunts are getting annoying now (I was actually hoping something would go terribly wrong in his Bubble cause that would be more unpredictable then him being able to hold his breath for so long and escape. Now I here he wants to do a stunt where he is going to hang over the brooklyn bridge (or just hang his arms over the bridge?)