Peter King giving Old Whitey a rimjahb

why the harsh tone for "us western NY'ers"? sounds like he has a hard-on for Bills fans....and not in a good way. I mean, what were the masses in WNY supposed to do, call for RW to extend TD even further? while I don't disagree it was a pretty good draft, he acts as if TD was unceremoniously axed.

8. Buffalo. Surprise, surprise. All you western New Yorkers who kicked Tom Donahoe on his way out the door should remember the weekend of April 21-22, 2001: Nate Clements (80 games, 80 starts at corner), Aaron Schobel (75 starts as a DE), Travis Henry (3,749 rushing yards with the Bills) and Jonas Jennings (52 starts at tackle before leaving as a free agent for the Niners). Not bad.

OK, Peter. I'm remembering 4/21-22.............................oh, dear god, what have we done!!!!!! :P

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkhA...cnnsi&type=lgns

710782[/snapback]

King shoud read Wikipedia:

The Bills experienced five non-playoff seasons after he was hired in January 2001. During the period of Donahoe's tenure, the Bills were tied for the fourth-worst record in the NFL at 31-49.

Someone tell ol' Petey that it ain't about the starts you get out of your draft, it's about the wins. And that, Petey, is why no one takes you seriously anymore.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone tell ol' Petey that it ain't about the starts you get out of your draft, it's about the wins.  And that, Petey, is why no one takes you seriously anymore.

710956[/snapback]

He seems to know this when he speaks about the Lions...

>>>>>11. Detroit. Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola and Shaun Rogers came in the first three picks and have all been regular starters. So you say: Hmm. Three picks, three starters. Nice start to the Matt Millen era. "Nice'' is the word. How good have these guys been if the Lions have stunk so badly? I do know Rogers is a heck of a player. Not sure about the other two. Millen gets a little credit, but not much, for finding Mike McMahon at that powerful football factory, Rutgers, in Round 6.<<<<<

Go figure! :huh:

TD did get us excited with the Bledsoe and Milloy signings.  He brought in Spikes and Fletcher.  He made good trades with Price and Henry.  Infortunately his bad moves were worse than his good ones.  Namely Gregg-o, Mularkey, and those powder puffs he brought in to play OL.  His draft record is spotty at best, yet King looks to one year and expects us to judge him on only that.  TD's record speaks for itself .. no playoff appearances and he left the team in worse shape than he found it.  So who is knocking TD's door down with a GM job?

710872[/snapback]

Good analysis.

TD did get us excited with the Bledsoe and Milloy signings.  He brought in Spikes and Fletcher.  He made good trades with Price and Henry.  Infortunately his bad moves were worse than his good ones.  Namely Gregg-o, Mularkey, and those powder puffs he brought in to play OL.  His draft record is spotty at best, yet King looks to one year and expects us to judge him on only that.  TD's record speaks for itself .. no playoff appearances and he left the team in worse shape than he found it.  So who is knocking TD's door down with a GM job?

710872[/snapback]

Don't forget McGahee....Actually that might have been his best pick...

Don't forget McGahee....Actually that might have been his best pick...

711032[/snapback]

I'm not so sure.

NOT because I don't think MaGahee is a very good back, because I do. The thing is, we had to wait the better part of 1 1/2 years for any production, and we passed on the desperately needed OG, Eric Steinbach.

Even the OL we have now would look a whole lot better with Steinbach at LG.

Imo, his best picks were Clements, MaGee, Schobel and Jennings, in no particular order, and his best trade was getting a 3rd for Henry. The Price deal was great as well.

I won't get into what I think was his worst trade. :huh:

I'm not so sure.

NOT because I don't think MaGahee is a very good back, because I do. The thing is, we had to wait the better part of 1 1/2 years for any production, and we passed on the desperately needed OG, Eric Steinbach.

Imo, his best picks were Clements, MaGee, Schobel and Jennings, in no particular order, and his best trade was getting a 3rd for Henry. The Price deal was great as well.

I won't get into what I think was his worst trade.  :huh:

711038[/snapback]

Does Steinbach miss OTA's or have Baby Mommas? whats his 40 time?

Jennings was a good player in Buffalo and a great draft pick, but one of TD's biggest problems was that he would let these good picks he made just walk for nothing. Jennings, Williams, Winfield, were all good draft picks that were just let go because TD didn't want to give them bigger contracts and figured he could replace them with other teams cast-offs *cough* Bennie Anderson *cough* maybe because he thought they were doing the same thing he tried to do.

I will disagree about the Henry deal being better then the Price deal. A 3rd for a guy who no longer would play for Buffalo or a 1st? I'll take the 1st for someone who wanted to be a #1 receiver in a city that already had a better #1

My lasting impression is that TD was great at wheeling-and-dealing, but he scored poorly in two primary areas: talent evaluation and team building.

He's probably not even that bad as a talent evaluator. He scored some nice hits over the years, but these were far outweighed by his bad picks, which helped to set this team back a few years. But mostly it was his approach to team building, as many here seem to recognize.

But to be fair, I still think there is nobody I'd rather have sitting on my side when there's a deal to be made and I want the better end of it.

Oh, and Peter King deserves a B word slap.

He seems to know this when he speaks about the Lions...

>>>>>11. Detroit. Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola and Shaun Rogers came in the first three picks and have all been regular starters. So you say: Hmm. Three picks, three starters. Nice start to the Matt Millen era. "Nice'' is the word. How good have these guys been if the Lions have stunk so badly? I do know Rogers is a heck of a player. Not sure about the other two. Millen gets a little credit, but not much, for finding Mike McMahon at that powerful football factory, Rutgers, in Round 6.<<<<<

Go figure!  :)

710961[/snapback]

:huh: !@#$ing moron...

Peter King didnt make ONE reference to TD eating a baby. NOT ONE! The people of Western New York should have slayed the Dark One while they had the chance. Now he roams the lands free and no child or team is safe.

Woe Unto Thee, Peter King, for your worship of the Darkness hast blinded thee.

It's interesting that he chose to go all the way back to 2001, which was the only draft that TD had which has turned out to be good. 2002 was bad, 2003 was a mixed bag, and we still don't know enough about 2004 and 2005.

Looking closer, that was the one draft that TD had WITHOUT Modrak at his side. That raises a bit of concern for me, as Modrak is still around calling some shots. Who knows...

King's article was probably also a subtle jab at Marv, comparing his first draft to TD's. Maybe King will eat his words when Whitner is named Defensive Rookie of the Year.

It's interesting that he chose to go all the way back to 2001, which was the only draft that TD had which has turned out to be good. 2002 was bad, 2003 was a mixed bag, and we still don't know enough about 2004 and 2005.

Looking closer, that was the one draft that TD had WITHOUT Modrak at his side. That raises a bit of concern for me, as Modrak is still around calling some shots. Who knows...

King's article was probably also a subtle jab at Marv, comparing his first draft to TD's. Maybe King will eat his words when Whitner is named Defensive Rookie of the Year.

711207[/snapback]

Actually, he didn't "choose" to go all the way back to 2001 to defend TD. Every year, on the principle that you have to wait five years to really know how a draft turned out, he grades the draft five years previous. Five years from now, he'll be bitching about Starbucks and Marv's first draft...

I can't believe anyone on this board still gets upset at what Fatty McButterpants writes. We all know that he has his favorites in the NFL front offices.

I am just suprised he saves so much man-love for TD. Won't Belichick and Parcells be jealous?

A lot of you have made very good points here, but can we stop saying he left the team "in worse shape" than when he came in? Go through position by position and you might find 2 or three players total that were better at their position than the current player there. Again, lot's of good points, but this one is simply not true.

i can't believe i'm defending king, but he's actually right here. the bills had a good draft in 01 - there really isn't an argument to be made against that. that's what he's judging, not whether the bills had a good draft in 02 or 03 or 04 or 05. he's also not assessing donohoe's choice for a head coach, which also falls outside the parameters of the piece. and to be fair to king, he's never been a slavish booster of donohoe (in fact, he's been critical on occasion). don't confuse him with espn's mortonson and pasquarelli, which is where the bulk of the public donohoe worship was on display.

A lot of you have made very good points here, but can we stop saying he left the team "in worse shape" than when he came in? Go through position by position and you might find 2 or three players total that were better at their position than the current player there. Again, lot's of good points, but this one is simply not true.

711230[/snapback]

Agreed. I count 4 if you stretch the difference between the 3-4 D & 4-3 D:

Phil Hansen over Chris Kelsay

Pat Williams over Tim Anderson

pre-injury Sam Cowart over London Fletcher-Baker

Ruben Brown over Fat Bennie (Marv brought Reyes in)

711038[/snapback]

Or Steinbach at LT or at C. :)

He played the whole game at LT in a bench-clearing beating by KC in game 16 - only 1 sack (on Kitna) and in game #4 against HOU, played Center (having never played that position in his football career) when starter Braham and backup Larry Moore went out in the 1st quarter. Called the line plays and didn't mess up a snap. No sacks.

My guess is that Levi Jones hits FA in '07, along with RT Willie Anderson, and Steinbach re-signs. They've been working 2nd rounder Andrew Whitworth OT - LSU on the left side, and on paper at this point, have enough promising bodies to plug the upcoming holes.

As they finish up 8 - 8 next year. :huh:

Edited by stuckincincy

My guess is that Levi Jones hits FA in '08, along with RT Willie Anderson, and Steinbach re-signs. They've been working 2nd rounder Andrew Whitworth OT - LSU on the left side, and on paper at this point, have enough promising bodies to plug the upcoming holes.

711264[/snapback]

You do mean 07, dontcha?