Hello San Jose/Bay Area

JoeF

The family and I are on the move...from RTP, NC to the Bay area...I will be in temp housing for a year with the family coming in June 07.

I already know that we are going to be living in large box over a heat grate due to the difference in housing costs, but what about the important stuff like Bills bars and wings....

The family and I are on the move...from RTP, NC to the Bay area...I will be in temp housing for a year with the family coming in June 07. 

I already know that we are going to be living in large box over a heat grate due to the difference in housing costs, but what about the important stuff like Bills bars and wings....

709868[/snapback]

I looked at moving either there or NYC a few months back... it's not just a difference, it's like a 5x difference. Housing within 20 minutes of Manhattan is freakin' cheaper.

It's the "natural land" Cali tree-hugger laws there, no?

I looked at moving either there or NYC a few months back... it's not just a difference, it's like a 5x difference.  Housing within 20 minutes of Manhattan is freakin' cheaper.

It's the "natural land" Cali tree-hugger laws there, no?

709870[/snapback]

Its about 3x for us to get close to comparable....its a company sponsored move and a nice promo...but still painful...I don't know much about the environmental laws--but Mountains on both sides..doesn't leave a lot of land...

Its about 3x for us to get close to comparable....its a company sponsored move and a nice promo...but still painful...I don't know much about the environmental laws--but Mountains on both sides..doesn't leave a lot of land...

709876[/snapback]

Yeah, it's a very nice area though. Last time I was there I took a ride up 101 north across the bridge and into the mountains and whatnot. I've stayed in Sunnyvale each time I made the flight out there.

I remember reading that there's large plots of land south of San Fran/San Jose that has been designated as 'wild' or something, so there's no building allowed on it.

Last time I was there it actually snowed in San Francisco!

Edit: I'd move out there in a heartbeat if I landed a good job with a killer reloc. package!

-Jeff

Yeah, it's a very nice area though.  Last time I was there I took a ride up 101 north across the bridge and into the mountains and whatnot. I've stayed in Sunnyvale each time I made the flight out there. 

I remember reading that there's large plots of land south of San Fran/San Jose that has been designated as 'wild' or something, so there's no building allowed on it.

Last time I was there it actually snowed in San Francisco!

Edit: I'd move out there in a heartbeat if I landed a good job with a killer reloc. package!

-Jeff

709879[/snapback]

Im moved out here because I got married. No killer relocation program. Actually, to be honest, we are just renting right now. Although my wife and me make pretty decent money we can't afford to buy. Well, we could but it would be in a unacceptable area or some sort of converted apartement condo. Still, I love it here and wouldnt move back east. NO WAY! Welcome to the Bay Area JoeF. :doh:

btw favorite place to watch football(not a Bills bar) is the Stadium Pub in Walnut Creek

Favorite thing to do is to go to Shark games in San Jose, all day concerts on Pier 32(Warped Tour) or Shorline(Mountainview/Palo Alto) or just hanging out at El Fornio in downtown Walnut Creek

There is a Bills group that meets in Cupertino. Click on my profile for a link. The page hasn't been updated in a long time, but we still meet there.

They have what they call limit line laws around here that limit how far up the hills people can build.

Most of the hills (1000-200ft) around here are open space preserves. Large wild parks that allow hiking, mountain biking and equestrians. That's where most of the mountain lions rove. They shot one Tuesday morning about 5 miles from my house, right in the middle of a suburb with 70,000 people. Came down from the hills right next to the town.

Not too many people know that San Jose is larger than San Francisco ( 1 million vs 750K). Right at the Southern edge of the city are several large parks that have hills that go up to over 2000 ft.

Welcome to San Jose, JoeF and family. I've lived here my whole life and I think you will like the area, since we are in a prime location.

If you need any info on the area or a tour guide, I'd be glad to help.

Wacka told you about where we meet for Bills games, that is where our unofficial Bills Backers Group meets at.

Hope to meet you soon.

Thanks Mark, Wacka, Dante--I start the new role on June 26--I will be in contact...I have been out there a lot the last 6 years for work...but usually its 12 to 15 hour days when I am out there--so not a lot of time to sample the area.

I am a runner -- and the weather is truly a runner's paradise. We are excited in many ways and we are used to moving...

Mark--thanks in particular for the offer to guide...

Thanks Mark, Wacka, Dante--I start the new role on June 26--I will be in contact...I have been out there a lot the last 6 years for work...but usually its 12 to 15 hour days when I am out there--so not a lot of time to sample the area.

I am a runner -- and the weather is truly a runner's paradise.  We are excited in many ways and we are used to moving...

Mark--thanks in particular for the offer to guide...

709925[/snapback]

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed, especially driving through San Fracisco... the sheer number of people jogging/riding across the Golden Gate. There was a steady flow... that's not something I *ever* see here in Atlanta..

709868[/snapback]

When in downtown SF, go eat a place called Tommy's Joint. Excellent food man, and a HUGE fuggin barrel of pickles...

Property taxes on a $500k home in Palo Alto was $10k 4 years ago!  Good luck with that...

709987[/snapback]

That sounds like NJ.

My next door neighbor was thinking of moving to San Diego. It would have been cheaper for a comparible house. :P

That sounds like NJ.

My next door neighbor was thinking of moving to San Diego. It would have been cheaper for a comparible house.  :P

709991[/snapback]

It does...but NJ sucks and I am counting down the days till I can move out of this $**hole state.

Property taxes on a $500k home in Palo Alto was $10k 4 years ago!  Good luck with that...

709987[/snapback]

Thanks....I calculated that our living expenses were going to go up $6K per month net when I weighed everything (mortgage, taxes, tuition, etc.) before negotiating the deal. My new boss said add another $1.5K (He is a pretty good man) and then we made the deal...Its just amazing how much more expensive it is..

In Palo Alto, 500K gets you a cardboard box.

710109[/snapback]

it pretty much was. It was a two bedroom "house' with no basement, no second floor and a backyard big enough to put a picnic table there. Looked like a shack to me...

Thanks....I calculated that our living expenses were going to go up $6K per month net when I weighed everything (mortgage, taxes, tuition, etc.) before negotiating the deal.  My new boss said add another $1.5K (He is a pretty good man) and then we made the deal...Its just amazing how much more expensive it is..

710005[/snapback]

In general, do the salaries reflect that? If I make 100k/yr in Atlanta, how much would I make in the Bay Area? I know Manhattan salaries are quite a bit higher than Atlanta.

-Jeff