U.S. Open 2006 thread

What an unbelievable collapse by Mickelson. Shades of Van de Velde in the British Open, with the horrifying decision making on the 72d hole.

I felt bad for Monty; he had a real shot to win and clearly choked on his 2d shot on 18. As it turns out, a par for him probably wins the tourney.

Congrats to Geoff Ogilvy...at least the Aussies have something to be happy about today!

I agree. I think i will start calling Phil "Tin Cup". All you need to do is make par, to win-bogey for playoff. Your driver has sucked all day long (only 2 fairways hit), why do you use it on 18. Yesterday, the 4 wood was great down the stretch and today he never used it.

What a total choke under pressure...

For the record, I am a huge phil fan, but he deserved to lose for his stupid play all day. He was definetly Van de Velde'ish on the 18th....

I agree. I think i will start calling Phil "Tin Cup". All you need to do is make par, to win-bogey for playoff. Your driver has sucked all day long (only 2 fairways hit), why do you use it on 18. Yesterday, the 4 wood was great down the stretch and today he never used it.

What a total choke under pressure...

For the record, I am a huge phil fan, but he deserved to lose for his stupid play all day. He was definetly Van de Velde'ish on the 18th....

710276[/snapback]

Even if he takes a 2 or 3 iron off the tee he likely makes par. Dumbest hole played in a major by a contender....ever. Van de Velde just fell apart....Phil was just stupid. Not something you'd expect to see from a 3 time major winner.

Even if he takes a 2 or 3 iron off the tee he likely makes par. Dumbest hole played in a major by a contender....ever. Van de Velde just fell apart....Phil was just stupid. Not something you'd expect to see from a 3 time major winner.

710283[/snapback]

When have you ever seen him NOT do that? He always does that. He always goes for it. It used to hurt him in the big tourneys. It served him VERY well lately (the last 2-3 years) and he simply blew it. Granted, it's easy to say it was monumentally stupid, but he had been making shots all day to save par. It's very hard to expect these guys to turn it on or off. Or to know when you should be conservative when you are never ever conservative. The only time he ever lays it up is when it's impossible to go for it. He's a player that doesn't know how to play conservative. If he has a chance to go for it, he goes for it 100% of the time. That strategy has made him one of the top 2 players in the world. If he would have been conservative when he should have been conservative throughout the week, he wouldn't have been up a stroke on 18.

When have you ever seen him NOT do that? He always does that. He always goes for it. It used to hurt him in the big tourneys. It served him VERY well lately (the last 2-3 years) and he simply blew it. Granted, it's easy to say it was monumentally stupid, but he had been making shots all day to save par. It's very hard to expect these guys to turn it on or off. Or to know when you should be conservative when you are never ever conservative. The only time he ever lays it up is when it's impossible to go for it. He's a player that doesn't know how to play conservative. If he has a chance to go for it, he goes for it 100% of the time. That strategy has made him one of the top 2 players in the world. If he would have been conservative when he should have been conservative throughout the week, he wouldn't have been up a stroke on 18.

710287[/snapback]

I agree he's usually not conservative and has a big history of stupid mistakes. In those three majors though, he did on occasion (even if rare) find a way to turn it off for even just one hole or one shot when he needed to. I'm thinking of an example, but can't quite remember the details at the moment.

18 today was the point where his caddy should have said "Phil, I've known you for a long time and I know how you play...but if you hit driver right now I'm going to !@#$ you in the ass with it."

What happened to NBC's camera work on his second shot on 18.  They never even showed it.  I'm still not sure what happened.

710292[/snapback]

Hit a tree and came back. Little chance a camera could have caught that quick enough.

What happened to NBC's camera work on his second shot on 18.  They never even showed it.  I'm still not sure what happened.

710292[/snapback]

NBC had problems all weekend with the cameras. When Furyk was teeing off on Saturday I say to my wife "watch his swing, it's really awkward", as he's swinging the picture goes black. It happened alot throughout the last 2 rounds. :P

Phil really did "tin cup it".

Give me the driver I can get it over the water!

yeah he moves his arms all over the place during his swing, i can't believe he hits it as well as he does.

NBC had problems all weekend with the cameras. When Furyk was teeing off on Saturday I say to my wife "watch his swing, it's really awkward", as he's swinging the picture goes black. It happened alot throughout the last 2 rounds.  :P

Phil really did "tin cup it".

Give me the driver I can get it over the water!

710385[/snapback]

yeah he moves his arms all over the place during his swing, i can't believe he hits it as well as he does.

710434[/snapback]

Hey, as long as the clubface gets back to its original positon that is all that matters.

What I couldn't get over is if it is this hard for pros how the heck to the members play that course?

I agree he's usually not conservative and has a big history of stupid mistakes. In those three majors though, he did on occasion (even if rare) find a way to turn it off for even just one hole or one shot when he needed to. I'm thinking of an example, but can't quite remember the details at the moment.

18 today was the point where his caddy should have said "Phil, I've known you for a long time and I know how you play...but if you hit driver right now I'm going to !@#$ you in the ass with it."

710294[/snapback]

Either that, or if i was phil's caddie i would have snapped his driver in half by hole 13 or 14 the way he was hitting it. Damn you phil. you missed away the major.

Phil = the US Open's B word.

Either that, or if i was phil's caddie i would have snapped his driver in half by hole 13 or 14 the way he was hitting it. Damn you phil. you missed away the major.

Phil = the US Open's B word.

710453[/snapback]

Phil's a headcase. Had Tiger been in it, he would've done worse.

Hey, as long as the clubface gets back to its original positon that is all that matters.

What I couldn't get over is if it is this hard for pros how the heck to the members play that course?

710437[/snapback]

Couse setup isn't as near as tough for the members. Shorter rough, slower greens and most play from the whites.

What an unbelievable collapse by Mickelson.  Shades of Van de Velde in the British Open, with the horrifying decision making on the 72d hole.

I felt bad for Monty;  he had a real shot to win and clearly choked on his 2d shot on 18.  As it turns out, a par for him probably wins the tourney.

Congrats to Geoff Ogilvy...at least the Aussies have something to be happy about today!

710273[/snapback]

I was watching closely, and I saw immediately that the problem with both Phil and Monty was in their grips. You see, their grips were way too tight.

Also it's because they were gripping their throats, rather than the club.

:P

He choked and played the last hole like an amateur, but I still don't think that it is as nearly as bad as Greg Norman in the '96 Masters, blowing a 6 shot lead in the final round and still lose by 5!

I think Van de Velde blowing a 3 stroke lead on the final hole in the British Open is worse also.

the thing that i can overlook about van develde and phil is that they went for it, they didn't just play it safe, which in hindsight was profoundly stupid, I hate it when athletes/teams coast in. I have alot more respect for them when they try to win rather than play not to lose, ie the Pre-vent defense of the old cowboys days. I thought the us open was awesome to watch and i give those guys credit for playing an awful tough course and not bitching about it. I also liked monty's comment. He said in his past "failures" at majors, he never lost it, his opponents simply outplayed him, he was big enough to say this is the first time he blew it. I was pulling for him and michelson to win it this year

He choked and played the last hole like an amateur, but I still don't think that it is as nearly as bad as Greg Norman in the '96 Masters, blowing a 6 shot lead in the final round and still lose by 5!

I think Van de Velde blowing a 3 stroke lead on the final hole in the British Open is worse also.

710644[/snapback]

710644[/snapback]

I lost count of how many majors Norman threw away. All the natural talent in the world, but his mental strength let him down. If he had the ability to hold it together like Faldo, for instance, I think his tally of majors would have been in double figures rather than just 2.