Nafta highway?

I knew you would come around. You are just too standup to want to give away the quality of life for your family and fund an invasion.

711754[/snapback]

:w00t:

I've always been against that.

I want them to come here and work. i don't want them to stay.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, Chef, why ARE they here? I mean, if they're not here for work, why the hell else would they come here? Common sense. Where's GG when you need him?

710954[/snapback]

I'm around. Just don't feel like wading into the muck that's missing a few facts from the arguments.

Remember, the current flavor of the day - it's the Mexicans, stupid. Mexicans are ready to retake the Alamo. We're so beyond India outsourcing, UAE and gay marriage.

I wonder how the unions in Detroit are handling this.  This has to be a huge threat to them.

711694[/snapback]

The UAW in Detroit is standing with the undocumented workers who were fired from an auto supplier.

UAW says supplier's action is anti-union

Harley Shaiken, a labor expert at the University of California-Berkeley, said the battle being played out at Hope Global is not uncommon in a nation with an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants.

"I don't know the specifics of the case, but it fits a broader pattern," Shaiken said. "Many companies suddenly become strict enforcers of immigration laws when workers try to unionize."

Shaiken said most unions have taken essentially a "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward illegal immigrants.

"Most unions have pitched an inclusive tent," Shaiken said.

"The elemental principle of unionism is solidarity. They support comprehensive enforcement at the border and in the workplace. But it's the primary responsibility of unions to protect all workers."

Linn Hynds, a labor law expert with the Honigman law firm in Detroit, said the National Labor Relations Act entitles workers to union representation whether they are in the country legally or not.

"The fact they couldn't be verified as American workers is a valid reason for their termination," Hynds said. "It does not mean, however, that they're not entitled to the protections available to workers who want to unionize."

In addition, the union violates no laws by organizing illegal immigrants.

"It would not surprise anyone, including the UAW, I think, to learn that a certain percentage of their membership consists of undocumented workers," Hynds said.

"The UAW has violated no law if that turns out to be the case. The employer has, but not the UAW."

That's a pretty interesting position, I think. Here you have an undocumented labor force, who many would say present a direct threat to a unionized labor force. Yet the union is standing behind the laborer, regardless of documented status.

That brings up another thought-provoking scenario, if a company has a mix of documented and undocumented workers, and it becomes a "union shop," would the so-called "cheap labor force" that they hired now qualify for union scale wages.

According to the settlement in this case in Minneapolis in 2000, undocumented workers who want to unionize fall under the same anti-descrimination laws as workers with documented status.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), along with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), has reached a settlement with a Minneapolis area employer that had been charged with illegally firing a group of nine Mexican undocumented employees for engaging in unionizing activities.  The employer, Holiday Inn Express, terminated the workers’ employment and reported them to the Immigration and Naturalization Service shortly after they had voted to join Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees Local 17 and only three weeks before contract negotiations were set to begin.

The unions in Colorado are actually recruiting foreign workers, regardless of immigration status (Unions step up efforts to recruit immigrant construction workers ).

Unions are reaching out to the foreign workers who crowd U.S. construction sites, and some see them as a heaven-sent solution to sliding membership rolls.

As employers turn to cheaper nonunion workers, some unions that represent the construction industry are trying to organize the immigrants who take those jobs — regardless of their immigration status, said Jim Gleason, executive secretary of the Mountain West Regional Council of Carpenters.

The AFL-CIO actually called for Legal Rights for All Immigrant Workers in 2001.

The Council said undocumented workers and their families should be provided permanent legal status through a new legalization program. It also called for full workplace rights for immigrant workers, including the right to organize and protection for whistleblowers.

In fact, the Day without Immigrants rally this past May 1 was organized by unions.

They figured out the march route and provided the security. They took care of the stages, portable toilets and first aid stations. They raised most of the money needed — more than $80,000.

While a diverse coalition of community organizations planned and pulled off Monday's "Day Without Immigrants," organized labor's money, muscle and mobilizing expertise played an instrumental role in managing the myriad details involved in the two Los Angeles marches.

That's a pretty significant stance for unionized labor in the US to take, I think. They don't see undocumented workers as a threat...they see them as a way to swell their ranks.

That's a pretty significant stance for unionized labor in the US to take, I think.  They don't see undocumented workers as a threat...they see them as a way to swell their ranks.

711767[/snapback]

Yeah, I mean, who else is going to pay for all those cohibas and nice suits?

:w00t:

I've always been against that.

I want them to come here and work. i don't want them to stay.

711761[/snapback]

I understand that Joe, but big business and their political puppets feel otherwise.

This is one REAL issue about which the views of American Citizens might actually matter. I will go as far as to predict that if one of the parties doesn't provide a presidential candidate who is on the side of the people (against the senate bill), a 3rd party candidate will have a MAJOR impact on the 08 elections.

This is not a phoney issue, like the senate "Decency Hearings" about Howard Stern and other disc jockeys.

I rest my case.

Next!

711561[/snapback]

You have no case, other than to regurgitate the same bad talking points that are repeated ad nauseum added to a plea for GG to come in and explain something because you can't put such a difficult concept into words.

You have no case, other than to regurgitate the same bad talking points that are repeated ad nauseum added to a plea for GG to come in and explain something because you can't put such a difficult concept into words.

712003[/snapback]

But you can't fault him for seeking out the right people for help. It's just as good as Googling foreign exchange rates.

712003[/snapback]

What bad talking points have I regurgitated? YOU insisted that there's no immigrant problem anywhere else than Southern California. Hell, you're not even on-topic...as usual.

And as far as asking for GG, he's an economist, and an expert. Nothing wrong with asking for an expert's opinion. Unlike you, I don't pretend to know everything about everything.

Keep up the good work, though, Nanook.

What bad talking points have I regurgitated?

How about:

Without those undocumenteds, we'd be in a world of sh--.

710668[/snapback]

At least they're not welfare leeches. They're here to work.

710686[/snapback]

I have no problem with tracking who hires whom. Document who's here. Give them enough time to earn money for their 15 kids in Mexico, then send them packing.

711629[/snapback]

YOU insisted that there's no immigrant problem anywhere else than Southern California. Hell, you're not even on-topic...as usual.

Really? Care to show which specific post "I" stated the the immigration problem was only in Southern California? When you're done with that, perhaps you can explain to me what topic I'm off of.

And as far as asking for GG, he's an economist, and an expert. Nothing wrong with asking for an expert's opinion. Unlike you, I don't pretend to know everything about everything.

He's an expert as long as the subject is "Does he know more than your incessantly whining ass". I'm sure he'll use that to his advantage at some point.

Keep up the good work, though, Nanook.

712377[/snapback]

Thanks for the encouragement. :rolleyes:

I don't like the fact that I have to compete with illegal alien's, for obvious reasons, they undercut our wages and drive up healthcare cost... There's nothing this gov't is going to do about it, and yet here is a video of bush waving the mexican flag, like the illegal aliens on their protest day... Now ctm I understand it's bull----, but at the sametime let's not have our president encourage the illegals with this campaign video. With the dems doing sqaut and now this, it's a joke. sorry for my rant, check out viva presidente bush, my fellow gringo's

http://www.tnrip.org/Video/gwb_RNCHispanic.wmv

I don't like the fact that I have to compete with illegal alien's, for obvious reasons, they undercut our wages and drive up healthcare cost... There's nothing this gov't is going to do about it, and yet here is a video of bush waving the mexican flag, like the illegal aliens on their protest day... Now ctm I understand it's bull----, but at the sametime let's not have our president encourage the illegals with this campaign video. With the dems doing sqaut and now this, it's a joke. sorry for my rant, check out viva presidente bush, my fellow gringo's

http://www.tnrip.org/Video/gwb_RNCHispanic.wmv

715829[/snapback]

Good post. Do you (or does anybody else) think that part of the reason we are trying to make citizens out of invaders is to bolster our numbers in the military?

I am skeptical of this because according to teachers I know, a big number (no, not all) of illegals are not literate in their native language.

If it WAS true, it would make me feel a little better than the knowledge that our leaders have encouraged illegals to invade us so they can be exploited by business while taxpayers bear the cost.

Good post. Do you (or does anybody else) think that part of the reason we are trying to make citizens out of invaders is to bolster our numbers in the military?

I am skeptical of this because according to teachers I know, a big number (no, not all) of illegals are not literate in their native language.

If it WAS true, it would make me feel a little better than the knowledge that our leaders have encouraged illegals to invade us so they can be exploited by business while taxpayers bear the cost.

716181[/snapback]

1)Language, I can tell you that on my job the cuban's constantly berate the mexicans on their improper use of the spanish lanquage. Basically what the cuban's explained is some of the mexicans are using a spanish-indian mix in their vocabulary.

2)To me the illegal's are here for one reason, to be exploited by american buisness, and the rest of the american's can enjoy lower wages, higher health care as a tradeoff for cheap lettuce and your lawn's mowed.

2)To me the illegal's are here for one reason, to be exploited by american buisness, and the rest of the american's can enjoy lower wages, higher health care as a tradeoff for cheap lettuce and  your lawn's  mowed.

716344[/snapback]

Did American businesses ask or tell them to come here illegally?

Help me here, no sarcasm. How does that answer my question?

716475[/snapback]

No sarcasm, I post and ask in this forum honestly. jmo :huh:

You asked me, did american buisnesses ask or tell them to come here illegaly?

I responded with, our gov't allows the illegals to come in and promotes sneakily.

Why do I say that, I have talked to many illegals and in 01 bush was giving friendly overtures to vincente fox broadcast on worlwide media...The illegals who were working on the same site as I mentioned this and told me a lot more illegals will come because of the( bush-vincente- friendship) And I also posted the video where bush is stretching out his hand to the latino community.

Politicians spread the message to the illegals for the buisness community, through many actions, which the buisness community pay's for, in contributions to their campaigns .Not enforcing existing laws that prevent buisnesses to hire illegals, a lackadaisacal approach to border security and campaign videos where politicians seem to embrace domestic latinos and illegal latinos. To me dem or rep are spokesmen for american buisness good or bad, financed by american buisnessmen. I would like to hear your take on it, to me that's what is great about this board differing opinion and learning if your decision is correct. Just here to learn and laugh at myself and others :pirate: