Best RB in the AFC East...

Would you trade Ronnie Brown for Willis MaGahee? Who would actually say no to that deal?

709807[/snapback]

I likely would say no to that tradde, but, regardless, that is not the real question being debated here. Brown is not better than McGahee as of today. Will Brown be better in the future? I don't know, but that is the question needed answering when debating trade value.

The AFC East is not the best division for running backs, that's for sure. Brown, Dillon, Martin and McGahee are about equal at this stage (Dillon and Martin of course were much better at the high points of their career and Brown may prove better than McGahee this year.) It is a stretch to call McGahee the best of the four backs, but he isn's much better or worse than any of them based only on last years showing. He is like Losman as far as I'm concerned...still has to prove himself. And, like Losman, I'm hoping he does it this year. I'll be the first one to cheer if at the end of the season we can unanimously agree he is best running back in the AFC, at least.

Willis is reportedly lighter. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I doubt Willis will benefit by this. Is he now re- inventing himself as a shifty HB? What i think he needs instead, is a better knowledge of the NFL game. Better knowledge of his linemates and tight ends, coaches.

McGahee is definitely an elite back in this league. It's already been proven. He didn't run for touchdowns last year because of the OL, Mularkey's system, and because our team couldn't get close enough to the endzone for him to get the other 5-7 yards. Do a little research and see how many of Shaun Alexander's scores were from inside the 10 yard line. I bet it was atleast 2/3 of them and he had a BEAST OL to run behind. Ronnie Brown will be a good back in a year or 2. Another name to look out for is Maroney, who went to the bleepin Patriots. He's got a good burst, very agile, and runs with pretty good power. With the New England OL, which is solid, leading the way he could get a thousand yards if he gets enough carries. I think the Patriots are going to a "RB-by-commitee" deal with him and Dillon anyway. Kinda like how the Broncos rolled last year. Martin's best years are surely behind him. But right now, I would have to agree that Willis is definitely the "Beast of the AFC East" at RB.

just because the line cant be any worse doesnt mean it will be any better either

best back in the AFC East...is this really what it has come down to, fans hoping Willis will be the best back in the 4 team division. We used to have high goals as fans, playoffs, winning the div and maybe getting home field advantage and now its can willis be the best back in the div

709862[/snapback]

Agreed.

FWIW I'd probably take Brown first then McGahee. Martin = done. Dillion = teh stink.

Willis is reportedly lighter. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I doubt Willis will benefit by this. Is he now re- inventing himself as a shifty HB? What i think he needs instead,  is a better knowledge of the NFL game. Better knowledge of his linemates and tight ends, coaches.

710717[/snapback]

I firmly disagree, as I believe Willis was a very good "shifty back" in college and in 2004. Under diretion form MM, McGahee tried to be more of a bruiser last year and was unable to make game changing plays. His style, up until last year, was to play the edges, use his speed to gain seperation and then use his strength, not wieght, to roll over a DB. I am excited about his new wieght. I only hope he brings back that wicked stiff arm that was so great in 2004. Of course, you need to have at least a little space to punch some stinkin' fish in the mouth; otherwise, you're stuck just trying to put a shoulder down and run him over.

As long as the coachhing staff figures out ways to create a little space around Willis, he will have a real shot at the Pro Bowl. It is promising to already hear the coaches say they will throw to him and use in space in other ways more.

MM was looking for a Bettis to run the defense MM had in Pittsburg. Rather than putting the talents he had to good use, MM decided to try to use McGahee in ways he was less than ideal for. The fact that WM was still able to gain over 1,000 yards is proof that WM has real talent.