Good job guys, here's a raise

You cant live off 5.15 an hour.  You cant even live off 6.15 an hour.  Maybe Gavin is right.  The minimum wage should be something where you can live off of.  Is 15 dollars/hour enough?  hmm... maybe it should be 20/hr.  Personally, i'd like to make 50/hr.  Maybe that should be the minimum, then everyone can get rich!

710124[/snapback]

http://alternet.org/blogs/video/

I posted a video link where a debate was in process over the min/wage, where john stossel repeated the talking points of raise the wage and lose jobs.( that video now is changed to crazy connie chung, for some reason.

The counter point was, states have raised the min/wage above the federal level and in fact more jobs were created due to more money being put into the local economy by min/wage workers, there is documented data, since it was enacted.

John stossel confronted with this info, retalliated with (well maybe we should raise the wage to 10-20-30-50 dollars per hr, to change the discussion)

I posted a  video link where a debate was in process over the min/wage, where john stossel repeated the talking points of raise the wage and lose jobs.( that video now is changed to crazy connie chung, for some reason.

The counter point was, states have raised the min/wage above the federal level and in fact more jobs were created due to more money being put into the local economy by min/wage workers, there is documented data, since it was enacted.

John stossel confronted with this info, retalliated with (well maybe we should raise the wage to 10-20-30-50 dollars per hr, to change the discussion)

710827[/snapback]

Doubtful, but it plays to the heart strings.

Doubtful, but it plays to the heart strings.

710863[/snapback]

I understand your point.

As I said I am trying to find data that backs up ,that raising the min/wage helps the economy rather than hurt it...

And there is cases where states raised the rate above federal min/wage, and thats where you can test the argument against, just word's..All we gotta do is look.

I understand your point.

As I said I am trying to find data that backs up ,that raising the min/wage helps the economy rather than hurt it...

And there is cases where states raised the rate above federal min/wage, and thats where you can test the argument against, just word's..All we gotta do is look.

710868[/snapback]

There are generally too many factors involved to be able to really prove your thesis. Narrowing something so massive down to a single change is not realistic.

There are generally too many factors involved to be able to really prove your thesis.  Narrowing something so massive down to a single change is not realistic.

710869[/snapback]

To further illustrate this point (I think), here's a different truth: the unemployment rate in Orange County is at 3.2% as of May, and has reached the point where companies that typically pay minimum wage now must compete with higher wages to get people to work for them.

There's a company based in the Seattle area named Costco. You may have heard of it. They pay their people ABOVE minimum wage (for what are really minimum wage jobs). They also provide health insurance and other benefits.

Result? The company is still quite profitable, while turnover, theft and other stuff you find associated with minimum-wage jobs is minimal. I love to shop there, the prices are great, the people are friendly

It can be done. Poor business managers can't do it, but good ones know how.

By the way I see the Senate Democrats are threatening to block pay raises for the Senate. Bully for them.