2008 Election

Adam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romney has a history of taking over when things get effed up and turning it around --- 2002 Olympics, coming into a really difficult situation in Mass. There's been several times when his leadership and desire to just jump to and solve problems have had me nodding my head, not the least of which was the serious flooding last year when a major dam broke. He showed up and asked the engineers what they needed and got the eff out of the way, then set up a plan to check all of the dams in the state so the same thing might not happen again. Most recently was his role in getting universal health insurance for Mass residents.

713373[/snapback]

I don't like that Romney has teamed up with the rich boozers with the nice-ah-property to fight wind power there.

I don't like that Romney has teamed up with the rich boozers with the nice-ah-property to fight wind power there.

717171[/snapback]

From what I've read about it, it was less about a 'rich people saying NIMBY' than about good ol' states' rights (in fact, they usually wouldn't even be visable and is a simplistic conspiracy-theory). Teddy Kennedy originally said he opposed the inclusion of permission for the wind farm in a federal Coast Guard funding bill; rather, it should be up to the state's residents and the governor. For sundry reasons, the wind farm was getting bipartisan nonapproval for the proposed spot b/c of environmental, navigational/shipping concerns, and could hurt tourism (I don't buy this --- in fact, I'd argue they'd be an attraction). What stuck in the alt-energy crowd's craw is that the discussion was mostly back-room.

As of now, the project looks like a go, as Teddy says the safety/environmental concerns he had have been resolved.

Romney is apparently on record of opposing it b/c it would 'ruin the natural beauty' of the Cape. Also, I don't think he was keen on Mass. being the guineu pig for the ocean turbines and having responsibility on his shoulders for all that could go wrong in the trial run. Well, when you're the man in charge of guiding a state's economy in this day and age where a loud fart can cause a $400M defecit, give him a call....

But yes, this unwillingness to take a leap at something that could be great for the country is a detraction. I think the next president (b/c the Current Occupant refuses to beyond lip service) needs to issue an eloquent challenge in an Oath of Office or SOTU speech like JFK did, to develop reliable alt-energy sources before X-amount of years and then back it up.