Do we suck at Soccer because our best athletes

ACor58

Arena sucks as a coach!  Why the !@#$ is Adu left off the team?  Why didnt he start Eddie Johnson?  Why wasnt Donovan playing midfield?  Why dont we ever take a shot farther from 10 yards away?

708481[/snapback]

I totally agree. I thought for sure that Freddy would make the team, even if just as a reserve, or for a change of pace. The guy has a ton of natural ability, and he can CREATE HIS OWN SHOT. I'm so sick of watching the US players take all day to set up some play, only to see them give up the ball or start playing it backwards :D We need guys who can let it rip from time to time, and we need guys who can create their own shot in space. From what I've seen of Rooney, that is what sets him apart from other players. He could have three defenders in his face, but he'll still find his shot. Eddie Johnson is a streaker and can score if he's wide open, but he's not all that great in traffic. NOBODY on this team appears to be good in traffic.

Growing up, summer rec league soccer was the sport that most kids played because they weren't good at any other mainstream sports (football, baseball, basketball, and lacrosse)

708227[/snapback]

NOOOOOOOOO---Landon Donovan is the gretaest athlete in the USA!!! reallly!!

I think that's changed -- soccer is really popular for kids now.  But we'll see if that translates to greater talent being infused into the sport on a national level.

708231[/snapback]

It won't. Soccer has been a huge youth sport in the US for decades. It's simple and cheap to organize. No equipment needed other than a ball. Fun to play. You can teach kids about teamwork and strategy. By the time kids get older, however, those with actual athletic ability gravitate towards the sports Americans know and love -- and the ones they could actually have an opportunity to make money at.