ESPN hits a new low

Ramius

so i get back from work and i am flipping channels yesterday, and i come across ESPN2. Whats on TV? Dominoes. Fugging Dominoes. ESPN was televising a fugging dominoes match. I almost threw up right there.

The damn network acts liek hockey doesnt exist, and they are televising DOMINOES!

And it will be on again tonight in prime time.

When I first saw that listed in the grid, I assumed that it was an actual sporting event that was sponsered by Domino's ....then I took a closer look. Yikes.

This time of year, TV becomes unwatchable...and tards like me actually read a book for the first time since college.  0:)

708198[/snapback]

call me a tard too...altho i tend to do a lot of reading anyways. just finished 1776.

I went to a bar for Happy Hour Monday & that was on one of the TVs... 2 black dudes were playing 2 other black dudes, and in the promos, they were giving these badass looks to the camera like they were wrestlers, I LMAO. 0:)

call me a tard too...altho i tend to do a lot of reading anyways. just finished 1776.

708201[/snapback]

Just finished "The Davinci Code". Started it 3 days ago. It made reading fun again. I lied, I actually read two books since college(1994). Marv's "Where would you rather be" and John Stewarts "America".

I spent the 90's reading the backs of beer bottles...and in the 00's they started talking to me... 0:)

so i get back from work and i am flipping channels yesterday, and i come across ESPN2. Whats on TV? Dominoes. Fugging Dominoes. ESPN was televising a fugging dominoes match. I almost threw up right there.

The damn network acts liek hockey doesnt exist, and they are televising DOMINOES!

708192[/snapback]

And the dominoes match will STILL draw a higher rating than the NHL playoffs.

And the dominoes match will STILL draw a higher rating than the NHL playoffs.

708209[/snapback]

That's kind of a straw man seeing as how people still think "Outdoor Life Network"? Where the hell is that and why is hockey on it? Oh, it's on NBC but only for games 3, 5, and part of game 7. It's too damned confusing for your average idiot. If it's on ESPN or FOX, one knows what to expect and will be more likely to be wrapped in during one of the other sports broadcasts or hot programs. OLN or even NBC, which doesn't broadcast much in the way of sports, would have a tougher time drawing non-NHL / casual fans.

I guarantee you that if the Cup finals / playoffs were on ESPN, they'd outdraw most of this crap.

I guarantee you that if the Cup finals / playoffs were on ESPN, they'd outdraw most of this crap.

708217[/snapback]

When Hockey was on ESPN prior to the lockout, unfortunately, the Cup Playoffs were outdrawn by the PBA tour.

I think that the new NHL is much more exciting and given enough exposure it could make a comeback in the ratings.

When Hockey was on ESPN prior to the lockout, unfortunately, the Cup Playoffs were outdrawn by the PBA tour.

I think that the new NHL is much more exciting and given enough exposure it could make a comeback in the ratings.

708224[/snapback]

So do I. I think the new NHL shot itself in the foot by not begging ESPN to take them and taking less money than OLN gave them.

So do I.  I think the new NHL shot itself in the foot by not begging ESPN to take them and taking less money than OLN gave them.

708229[/snapback]

You are dead on there, but not many people consider Bettman to be the smartest businessman either.

They have also shown paintball, sumo and Magic:the Gathering.  I rarely turn it on anymore.

708239[/snapback]

The paintball was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. They just knelt behind giant barriers and fired paintball machine guns around the corner. It required little skill if any to do these "manuvers". 0:)

The paintball was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.  They just knelt behind giant barriers and fired paintball machine guns around the corner.  It required little skill if any to do these "manuvers".  0:)

708270[/snapback]

agreed. their paintball "league" is nothing like what we used ot play. They go out and stand by inflatable barriers and fire off thousands of rounds in a few minutes, hoping to hit someone or something.

When we played in the woods behind the house, we had teams of 4 or 5 in a few hundred yards of woods. we used skill and actually strategized on the best way to get their flag, and took our time. Also, mostly due to the insane cost of paintballs, we limited everyone to usually 25-30 paintballs per round. this way, you had to make sure your shot counted, and you worked to get a good one, and didnt just strafe and hope like these guys do.

agreed. their paintball "league" is nothing like what we used ot play. They go out and stand by inflatable barriers and fire off thousands of rounds in a few minutes, hoping to hit someone or something.

When we played in the woods behind the house, we had teams of 4 or 5 in a few hundred yards of woods. we used skill and actually strategized on the best way to get their flag, and took our time. Also, mostly due to the insane cost of paintballs, we limited everyone to usually 25-30 paintballs per round. this way, you had to make sure your shot counted, and you worked to get a good one, and didnt just strafe and hope like these guys do.

708272[/snapback]

Man, people are reminiscing about the good old days of paintball, back when it was a purer sport. Now I really do feel old.

708272[/snapback]

Precisely! I was watching this video game turned real life when it dawned on me why paintball had turned into such a farce. This stupid "sport" was a giant metaphor for a society that has turned into a giant baby suckling on the teat of self-gratification and instant indulgence. Instead of careful planning and using strategy to conquer one's opponent, these pacified loser psuedo-participants got their ADD hard ons by clipping an opponent with a seemingly inifinte number of paint balls. WTF, or am I over analyzing this a bit? 0:)