Czechs kick our asses again...

SDS

0:)

American Bud = Less barely malt and more cheap adjuncts like corn and rice. I'm not sure what type of hops they use but whatever they are it's barely discernable.

Czech "Bud" = All pilsner malt and fresh saaz hops.

That is why American Bud is "missing the taste of beer".

mmmmm.....saaz hops, so simple yet so good!

American Bud = Less barely malt and more cheap adjuncts like corn and rice.  I'm not sure what type of hops they use but whatever they are it's barely discernable.

708189[/snapback]

American Bud = Less barely malt and more cheap adjuncts like corn and rice.  I'm not sure what type of hops they use but whatever they are it's barely discernable.

708189[/snapback]

Bud uses a blend of hops (I am guessing Tettnang, Hallertauer and Saaz are the main ones). Since crops vary in alpha acid content and availability, they can change hops from crop to crop and there will be no difference in taste (since each hop contributes little to the bittering/flavor). If one crop has lower alpha acid, they may skew towards another hop to balance out the numbers. If one crop has prices rise due to lack of availability, they skew towards a cheaper hop to keep costs consistent. It is all about the numbers. Make all the numbers match.

As far as adjuncts: Bud is mainly rice, while Miller and Coors are mainly corn.

Bud uses a blend of hops (I am guessing Tettnang, Hallertauer and Saaz are the main ones). Since crops vary in alpha acid content and availability, they can change hops from crop to crop and there will be no difference in taste (since each hop contributes little to the bittering/flavor). If one crop has lower alpha acid, they may skew towards another hop to balance out the numbers. If one crop has prices rise due to lack of availability, they skew towards a cheaper hop to keep costs consistent. It is all about the numbers. Make all the numbers match.

As far as adjuncts: Bud is mainly rice, while Miller and Coors are mainly corn.

708193[/snapback]

That's the bad part of trying to get your BJCP certification, you even have to study up on the awful beers. 0:)

That's the bad part of trying to get your BJCP certification, you even have to study up on the awful beers.  :doh:

708208[/snapback]

At least you can purge your memory of it after taking the exam. 0:)