post here if you are glad we lost at soccer

jester43

they hate it because they no longer broadcast it.

707796[/snapback]

They did nothing to promote it when they did have it.

And if they would do the typical ballwashing that they do for the NBA for the NHL, it would be a more popular sport.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but it seems to escape most anti-soccer fans who talk about faking injuries.

Soccer isn't a game where play stops every 15 seconds like NFL, or where subs are allowed on the fly like Hockey, or subs like Basketball. How many times have you seen a running back call for a sub after a few players in. heck, most aren't even 3 down running backs.

Going down as if injured in soccer is very strategic, either to get a yellow card for the other team or just slow the pace of the game down or to get a breather. They run for 90 minutes, only 3 subs are allowed per game, when your fouled, you typically go down and stay down to catch your wind, get a breather.

It isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but it seems to escape most anti-soccer fans who talk about faking injuries.

Soccer isn't a game where play stops every 15 seconds like NFL, or where subs are allowed on the fly like Hockey, or subs like Basketball. How many times have you seen a running back call for a sub after a few players in. heck, most aren't even 3 down running backs.

Going down as if injured in soccer is very strategic, either to get a yellow card for the other team or just slow the pace of the game down or to get a breather. They run for 90 minutes, only 3 subs are allowed per game, when your fouled, you typically go down and stay down to catch your wind, get a breather.

707810[/snapback]

I'd put an asterix around the word *run*. They jog a lot, especially the forwards. :):lol:

While they make look like puzzies for getting carried off, it's actually a rule, and an improvement.  The rule-makers know that 99% of these guys don't need stretchers, but they also know that they would stay down on the field rolling around for five minutes, or taking five minutes to slowly limp off the field (possibly because they're drama queens, or puzzies.)  The whole idea behind the stretcher is to immediately get the guy off the field and to the sidelines where trainers can give them treatment, thus allowing the game to resume.  If some Euro primadonna wants to embellish an injury, he's going to have to do it on the sidelines while his team plays a man short.

707743[/snapback]

You forgot to mention the clock doesn't stop, either. Takeo Spikes can take 15 minutes to limp off the field after he ruptures his hammy...it's not 15 minutes of game time. Yes, they add stoppage time...at the whim of the official. So everyone has a vested interest in getting an injured player off the field as quickly as possible, not just so the game can continue, but that a full game can be played...

You forgot to mention the clock doesn't stop, either.  Takeo Spikes can take 15 minutes to limp off the field after he ruptures his hammy...it's not 15 minutes of game time.  Yes, they add stoppage time...at the whim of the official.  So everyone has a vested interest in getting an injured player off the field as quickly as possible, not just so the game can continue, but that a full game can be played...

707824[/snapback]

I don't understand the running clock and adding back "stoppage time". Why not just have the clock stop so you don't need to add "stoppage time".

I don't understand the running clock and adding back "stoppage time". Why not just have the clock stop so you don't need to add "stoppage time".

707827[/snapback]

makes too much sense. its also not cost effective as they'd need to re-outfit every single soccer clock with a stop button. :)

but NBA, MLB :)

707772[/snapback]

The lead can change an unlimited number of times in both basketball and baseball games. In soccer, a 2-0 lead is basically insurmountable.

In baseball, every at-bat is a one on one confrontation and there's no such thing as a draw. Most of every soccer game is played laterally at mid-field and most scoring attempts end up with the ball rolling out of bounds.

I never want to see the USA lose at anything, be it Ping Pong or Soccer. On a side note did you see that 7 footer for the Czechs. He got carried off on a stretcher with a hamstring injury. Are you fuggin kidding me??? What a huge PU$$Y.

To make a generalization, all soccer players are PU$$IES. The only time you see a stretcher in football is when a guy breaks a leg or has a neck injury. They bring that stretcher out three times a game for these fairys that play soccer.

707739[/snapback]

Scott Hannon, defenceman for the Sharks, played the last game of the Oiler series with a fractured foot.

The lead can change an unlimited number of times in both basketball and baseball games.  In soccer, a 2-0 lead is basically insurmountable.

In baseball, every at-bat is a one on one confrontation and there's no such thing as a draw.  Most of every soccer game is played laterally at mid-field and most scoring attempts end up with the ball rolling out of bounds.

707858[/snapback]

Which is why basketball is so damned boring. "Oh, the Clippers are up by 12 at the half." Big deal. It's only the last five minutes that typically matter...and they take a !@#$ing hour to play with all the fouling. Even curling's more exciting than basketball.

Which is why basketball is so damned boring.  "Oh, the Clippers are up by 12 at the half."  Big deal.  It's only the last five minutes that typically matter...and they take a !@#$ing hour to play with all the fouling.  Even curling's more exciting than basketball.

707875[/snapback]

True, and I'm not the biggest basketball fan. But I have seen incredibly exciting basketball games, which is something I really can't say for soccer. Last year's NBA Finals were awesome.

Which is why basketball is so damned boring.  "Oh, the Clippers are up by 12 at the half."  Big deal.  It's only the last five minutes that typically matter...and they take a !@#$ing hour to play with all the fouling.  Even curling's more exciting than basketball.

707875[/snapback]

This a big reason why I don't care for the NBA much. In college hoops an early 10 pt lead seems to be a lot more meaningful, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my life away watching the 1st half.

this sport, with all the floundering and diving and creative hair cuts...not to mention all the phony-a$$ media hype created to make you chant U-S-A while you wave your little 4"x6" american flag...it nauseates me. 

i really hope we lose again.  and then the same guys who were waving their flags and chiding you for not being more interested can start carping and sniping at the team for sucking when they were supposed to be good.  i give it all a fat "whateva."

now if we ever got our sh-- together at RUGBY, now that i'd be into. it is 10x the spectacle that soccer is and way more interesting.  and it's certainly no harder to understand than football.

an ps...i don't hate "international sports"...i love track and field, and formula 1.  and rugby of course.  i just hate soccer.

707706[/snapback]

i couldnt agree with you more. i cant stand all the fake people in this country pretending to like soccer now just because everyone else is. we will never be good at soccer internationally, just face it. its pointless for us to even play and i couldnt care less about the sport.

I'm not glad we lost, although if it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't know the World Cup was going on anyways. No one around here is talking about it, no news or anything. Soccer is non existant around here. We just count down the days until american football season.

707748[/snapback]

where the hell do you live..... mars?

True, and I'm not the biggest basketball fan.  But I have seen incredibly exciting basketball games, which is something I really can't say for soccer.  Last year's NBA Finals were awesome.

707889[/snapback]

Each sport has it's positives and negatives. I tend to watch every sport.

Why is everyone talking about soccer lately? 0:)

this sport, with all the floundering and diving and creative hair cuts...not to mention all the phony-a$$ media hype created to make you chant U-S-A while you wave your little 4"x6" american flag...it nauseates me. 

i really hope we lose again.  and then the same guys who were waving their flags and chiding you for not being more interested can start carping and sniping at the team for sucking when they were supposed to be good.  i give it all a fat "whateva."

now if we ever got our sh-- together at RUGBY, now that i'd be into. it is 10x the spectacle that soccer is and way more interesting.  and it's certainly no harder to understand than football.

an ps...i don't hate "international sports"...i love track and field, and formula 1.  and rugby of course.  i just hate soccer.

707706[/snapback]

I'm impressed you had the balls to post what I was thinking. It really annoyed me to see soccer on the cover of my SI, my ESPN magazine AND my SI for Kids in the last week - when most sports fans in this country could care less. The media trying to create interest that just isn't there - to be scolding us that we should care because other parts of the world do. I was happy to see them lose - and I hope they lose the next one - the sooner they are out of it the sooner all this manufacured 'interest' just goes away.