The 'Cult of Wegmans'

'She recalls how in Sterling, Va., people tailgated in the parking lot and made signs and T-shirts welcoming Wegmans to the community.'

'"It's been explained to us that Wegmans is something of a cult," Schwede said.'

'In fact, the company reserved close to 3,000 nights worth of hotel rooms throughout South Jersey and Philadelphia to house the roughly 600 Wegmans employees coming from out of the area, Natale said.'

'"I didn't know why people were making such a big deal about Wegmans," Claudia Ortiz said. "Now I know why."'

'"The basic idea is we try to teach them the Wegmans way."'

'"You couldn't walk down the aisles. It was like gridlock with the carts."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs...EWS01/606120353

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.../606020337

Plus: "It's a very aggressive baptism," said bread artisan Nick Greco.

:huh:

'She recalls how in Sterling, Va., people tailgated in the parking lot and made signs and T-shirts welcoming Wegmans to the community.'

'"It's been explained to us that Wegmans is something of a cult," Schwede said.'

'In fact, the company reserved close to 3,000 nights worth of hotel rooms throughout South Jersey and Philadelphia to house the roughly 600 Wegmans employees coming from out of the area, Natale said.'

'"I didn't know why people were making such a big deal about Wegmans," Claudia Ortiz said. "Now I know why."'

'"The basic idea is we try to teach them the Wegmans way."'

'"You couldn't walk down the aisles. It was like gridlock with the carts."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs...EWS01/606120353

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.../606020337

706908[/snapback]

I work about a mile from the Sterling, VA location so I go over there for lunch about once a week. I will say it's the nicest Wegmans I've ever been in but it cracks me up how these folks hype it up so much. I guess growing up in Amherst I always took Wegmans for granted. It amazes me how most of the grocery stores down here are really blah.., so Wegmans really stands out in comparison. You would think another chain would have tried to copycat the idea a long time ago.

I work about a mile from the Sterling, VA location so I go over there for lunch about once a week.  I will say it's the nicest Wegmans I've ever been in but it cracks me up how these folks hype it up so much.  I guess growing up in Amherst I always took Wegmans for granted.  It amazes me how most of the grocery stores down here are really blah.., so Wegmans really stands out in comparison.  You would think another chain would have tried to copycat the idea a long time ago.

707103[/snapback]

There is teeters (sp???) that's supposed to be pretty good, but very few around. They are opening a big store in Prince William county near hoadly and 234 is my understanding. Of course Wegmans is also getting into PW on route 1 near Dale Blvd next June.

But you're right, Giant and Safeway are a long way back in quality and service now. Food Shoppers, and a few others behind that. And of course the trailer park specials in Food Lion. :huh:

For such an affluent area, food shopping, and restauants overall are really lacking here.

You would think another chain would have tried to copycat the idea a long time ago.

707103[/snapback]

We have Whole Foods down here. They are moving in everywhere. Their corporate office/flagship store is across the street from one of my jobs. It is like a city unto itself...the have a goddam ice skating rink on the roof...in the middle of friggin' Texas... "isle" that boasts ...proof that the world can, indeed, run on hippie power...I belive they were recently named, like Wegamans' as one of the best companies to work for, as well as one of the fastest growing companies in the country. Personally, I can't stand going in there...it depresses me. I could never afford to shop there regularly. I go, however, solely for the beer....they have a refrigerated beer "isle", which boasts 592 different kinds of beer...I sometimes feel like Homer Simpson, in flowing beer heaven, the day the Duff's beer truck explodes!

We have Whole Foods down here.  They are moving in everywhere.  Their corporate office/flagship store is across the street from one of my jobs.  It is like a city unto itself...the have a goddam ice skating rink on the roof...in the middle of friggin' Texas... "isle" that boasts ...proof that the world can, indeed, run on hippie power...I belive they were recently named, like Wegamans' as one of the best companies to work for, as well as one of the fastest growing companies in the country.  Personally, I can't stand going in there...it depresses me. I could never afford to shop there regularly.  I go, however, solely for the beer....they have a refrigerated beer "isle", which boasts 592 different kinds of beer...I sometimes feel like Homer Simpson, in flowing beer heaven, the day the Duff's beer truck explodes!

707608[/snapback]

Whole Foods rocks. We've got several down here in NC.

There is teeters (sp???) that's supposed to be pretty good, but very few around.  They are opening a big store in Prince William county near hoadly and 234 is my understanding. 

707111[/snapback]

Harris Teeter is a NC-based chain...they're pretty good, way ahead of Giant/Safeway, but no where near Wegmans. I shop at the Glebe Road location in Arlington. They are building pretty agressively in N. VA, there's one going up in Shirlington and one on Route 1 near Potomac Yards.

Used to shop at Giant but left due mainly to the check-out lines being seven deep, and the union-card-carrying-cashiers bantering back and forth about their next break...

We have Whole Foods down here.  They are moving in everywhere.  Their corporate office/flagship store is across the street from one of my jobs.  It is like a city unto itself...the have a goddam ice skating rink on the roof...in the middle of friggin' Texas... "isle" that boasts ...proof that the world can, indeed, run on hippie power...I belive they were recently named, like Wegamans' as one of the best companies to work for, as well as one of the fastest growing companies in the country.  Personally, I can't stand going in there...it depresses me. I could never afford to shop there regularly.  I go, however, solely for the beer....they have a refrigerated beer "isle", which boasts 592 different kinds of beer...I sometimes feel like Homer Simpson, in flowing beer heaven, the day the Duff's beer truck explodes!

707608[/snapback]

Still waiting for Whole foods here, but we do have a Market Street which is much better than the norm. Since they've opened they have kicked everyone else's can.

Please, please, please Wegman's, move west to NE Ohio.

We have Heinen's (which is good), and Tops and Giant Eagle (both bad).

Wegman's is simply the best food store I've ever seen. And I've only been to the McKinley location near RWS.

Mike