Anyone have work experience with FedEx?

NCDAWG

I used to work for UPS....I don't know if by "package handler" you mean the guy who gets to unload the trucks, but if so, you better have a lot of Advil on tap for the first week. Unloading trucks for UPS was the most physically demanding job I've ever had - by far.

Is that a fancy name for a Fedex driver??  :lol:  We have both UPS and Fedex guys making deliveries at my company.  I think Fedex drivers are much cuter than UPS drivers.  :lol:

706803[/snapback]

So you're saying he shouldn't apply...? ;)

I used to work for UPS....I don't know if by "package handler" you mean the guy who gets to unload the trucks, but if so, you better have a lot of Advil on tap for the first week. Unloading trucks for UPS was the most physically demanding job I've ever had - by far.

706801[/snapback]

You were a United Pot Smoker ;)

Explains a lot :lol:

I set 20.000 sqft. of carpet tile at a fedex in watertown ct. and another 20thsq.sf. at one in reading mass? The people who were going to work there I talked to, some package handlers, they said it was a very good gig with the pay and bennies. Good luck man...

I work at FedEx, I've been there for 8 months now, as a courier/material handler.

The job you have is a simple one, but demanding.

Are you working in the morning, evevning, or both?

Morning is easiest, you just have to get used to getting up very early. All you do is unload the big crates of packages and put them on the correct side of the conveyor belt. Now you will have some supervisors or managers there watching you making you feel uncomfortable, and then they will probably insult your intelligence by telling you the proper way to place a package on the belt. Once you get past that it's easy sailing.

In the evening, you will be unloading the trucks, which is easy in itself, but your attention to detail is more important than in the morning. They really put an emphasis on all of the "Priority 1" packages that have to get out of the warehouse.

Also keep an eye out for packages marked "First Overnight" & for dangerous goods. The couriers are supposed to take care of that, but not all of them do.

After a couple of weeks of this they will want you to work on loading the big crates during the evening shift. This is tougher. They will start you off slow with the crates that get packages that are remaining in the state, but you will eventually move on to busier crates. Just be prepared for that.

Most important of all, you have to be fast. Everyone puts an emphasis on being quick on this business. If a manager sees you moving fast, you will have very little complaints.

I hope this has been helpful for you. Welcome to FedEx, "the world on time." ;)

Sorry, in a weird mood tonight.  Guess I should lay off the Mike's.  ;)

706881[/snapback]

I thought I told you to leave those Mike n' Ike's alone? Stick with the snickers!!

I am starting next week as a package handler, and was wondering what your experiences with them were...good or bad.

706792[/snapback]

My brother has been with Fed Ex for years, he manages the Providence terminal. He says it's a good company, great benefits. Good luck to you.

I work at FedEx, I've been there for 8 months now, as a courier/material handler.

The job you have is a simple one, but demanding.

Are you working in the morning, evevning, or both?

Morning is easiest, you just have to get used to getting up very early. All you do is unload the big crates of packages and put them on the correct side of the conveyor belt. Now you will have some supervisors or managers there watching you making you feel uncomfortable, and then they will probably insult your intelligence by telling you the proper way to place a package on the belt. Once you get past that it's easy sailing.

In the evening, you will be unloading the trucks, which is easy in itself, but your attention to detail is more important than in the morning. They really put an emphasis on all of the "Priority 1" packages that have to get out of the warehouse.

Also keep an eye out for packages marked "First Overnight" & for dangerous goods. The couriers are supposed to take care of that, but not all of them do.

After a couple of weeks of this they will want you to work on loading the big crates during the evening shift. This is tougher. They will start you off slow with the crates that get packages that are remaining in the state, but you will eventually move on to busier crates. Just be prepared for that.

Most important of all, you have to be fast. Everyone puts an emphasis on being quick on this business. If a manager sees you moving fast, you will have very little complaints.

I hope this has been helpful for you. Welcome to FedEx, "the world on time."  :huh:

706839[/snapback]

Thanks for the input, the hours are perfect, 11pm to 4:30 am, so I can still take care of the kids. They really don't tell you much about the job, except "you get a good workout."