good article on how huge soccer is in the world

Pete

According to one study I read, Soccer has nearly the same number of fans as people infected with sexually transmitted diseases. Coincidence?

**For Meazza and the rest of you super anally puckered soccer fans: I know the statistics aren't even close. Comedy isn't always about accuracy.

Popular != good

Soccer is popular because it's the most simple game in the world.  Get a ball.  Kick it.  That means no matter how poor and pathetic your country is, you can still play because you can find a ball somewhere.

706051[/snapback]

I agree. Explains why the most dominant country in soccer is Brazil. Not exactly an industrialized nation. Still a great sport though.

Popular != good

Soccer is popular because it's the most simple game in the world.  Get a ball.  Kick it.  That means no matter how poor and pathetic your country is, you can still play because you can find a ball somewhere.

706051[/snapback]

From the article-

First, soccer is the easiest sport in the world to play — you don't even need any equipment! That's right, no equipment. Let me explain. For the majority of its participants, soccer is a working-class sport and if you don't have a ball, a bundle of rags will do. Cleats? Who needs them? Look at the popularity of beach soccer. Trash cans for goal posts, alleyways for fields, shirts versus skins for uniforms. It is all inclusive.

From the article-

First, soccer is the easiest sport in the world to play — you don't even need any equipment! That's right, no equipment. Let me explain. For the majority of its participants, soccer is a working-class sport and if you don't have a ball, a bundle of rags will do. Cleats? Who needs them? Look at the popularity of beach soccer. Trash cans for goal posts, alleyways for fields, shirts versus skins for uniforms. It is all inclusive.

706075[/snapback]

When we played as kids we would use a broken frisbee and a baseball mitt as goal posts. :lol: