State Tax ID

Talonz

I would like to start purchasing some whoesale parts from a local dealer and would like to avoid paying sales tax since I will be reselling these items.

Can anyone give me a quick / dirty run through on what I need ? Do I need to do a DBA first?

Thanks!

I believe for what you're talking about, you just need a resellers tax id, which for a one-person operation in NY, is usually just your SS#. How to get it officially or verify what I'm saying, I have no idea where to look.

I would like to start purchasing some whoesale parts from a local dealer and would like to avoid paying sales tax since I will be reselling these items.

Can anyone give me a quick / dirty run through on what I need ?  Do I need to do a DBA first? 

Thanks!

704871[/snapback]

Unless you are talking some volume or big bucks, it may not be worth dealing with the NY state tax behemoth. Paying the sales tax might be easier if you can stay under the radar. :)

Unless you are talking some volume or big bucks, it may not be worth dealing with the NY state tax behemoth. Paying the sales tax might be easier if you can stay under the radar.  :)

704892[/snapback]

That's been my attitude up to now. I've had a few purchases lately for almost $1000.00 each...Thats almost 90 bux to ALbany B-)

Would it be that big of a deal to have a resellers ID? Would I have tons of paperwork to do ?

That's been my attitude up to now.  I've had a few purchases lately for almost $1000.00 each...Thats almost 90 bux to ALbany :D

Would it be that big of a deal to have a resellers ID?  Would I have tons of paperwork to do ?

704898[/snapback]

Your best bet is to call the county clerk's office, tell them what you want to do, and they should be able to tell you everything you need to know or tell you where to get it.

If you get a DBA you may need a commercial bank (they are not all commercial banks)

good luck!