Pro Football Weekly

Haden (Memphis): What about the Saints? They have a pro bowl QB, Reggie Bush, and are quietly revamping their roster. Why can't they make the playoffs?

Trent Modglin : (5:24 PM ET ) Honestly, with the way the NFL is now, there are only a few teams I can eliminate from the playoffs right now, and that's probably the Jets, Niners and Bills. That's it. The 29 others all have a chance. We've seen worst to first happen too many times before not to think the Saints can't make strides. The main concern I have is the inability to stop the run, stemming from a lack of size up front and a weak LB corps. Then add in the fact they'll face the defenses from Tampa and Carolina a total of four times, and there's cause for concern. I see maybe 7-9 for them, Haden.

Haden (Memphis): What about the Saints? They have a pro bowl QB, Reggie Bush, and are quietly revamping their roster. Why can't they make the playoffs?

Trent Modglin : (5:24 PM ET ) Honestly, with the way the NFL is now, there are only a few teams I can eliminate from the playoffs right now, and that's probably the Jets, Niners and Bills. That's it. The 29 others all have a chance. We've seen worst to first happen too many times before not to think the Saints can't make strides. The main concern I have is the inability to stop the run, stemming from a lack of size up front and a weak LB corps. Then add in the fact they'll face the defenses from Tampa and Carolina a total of four times, and there's cause for concern. I see maybe 7-9 for them, Haden.

704137[/snapback]

I haven't seen much out of Buffalo in the past few years to dispute this...

Face it: The Bills are one of the armpit teams in the NFL.

Here is the good news: That could change as soon as this year!

I haven't seen much out of Buffalo in the past few years to dispute this...

Face it:  The Bills are one of the armpit teams in the NFL. 

Here is the good news:  That could change as soon as this year!

704141[/snapback]

If there's a bet in Vegas giving odds on the Bills making the the playoffs, I'd put a hundred down on the Bills. Should be a $20,000 payoff if you listen to the prognosticators. Bills won't be that cheap to the smart money, but that's another bet.

Seriously, if JP wakes up and gets it and the OL improves 30% ( a low hurdle considering last season) this team will surprise. Enough to make the playoffs?...no, but I'd really like to bet the Bills will be .500.

sad to day, but since the great joel buchsbaum's untimely death, pfw has become populated by youngish dorky guys who know no more about football than any of the more knowledgeable posters here. it's too bad -- it used to be a better publication.

704179[/snapback]

I'm not disagreeing(though I have no idea of their staff myself) but....

Wasn't the great Joel Buchsbaum a youngish dorky guy not so long back?

There are a lot of unknowns on this team. How good will Fowler be? Can Nall translate his NFL Europe success into production for the Bills? Will the defensive players taken on the first day quickly make the transition to the NFL? Are the current personnel well suited to running the Fairchild offense and the Jauron defense?

If all these sources of uncertainty resolve themselves favorably, the Bills may actually do something this year. I'm not counting on it, but even a pessimist like me has to admit there's a slim chance of this team making the playoffs.

sad to day, but since the great joel buchsbaum's untimely death, pfw has become populated by youngish dorky guys who know no more about football than any of the more knowledgeable posters here. it's too bad -- it used to be a better publication.

704179[/snapback]

This site has knowledgeable posters?

This site has knowledgeable posters?

704255[/snapback]

Yes my friend, it does. Badolbilz has more football knowledge, and a better vocabulary than 90% of all sportswriters imo, and the same applies to Lori.

Mark can tell you more about the Bills on a bad day than 99% of nationwide writers, and he is a college football freak to boot. R.Rich follows college, and every team in the NFL.

I could list a lot more and I would except for fear of leaving someone out.

There is no place like TSW for good football discussion with people who know what they are talking about.

I can't say I blame them. I'm the first one to blindly defend any Buffalo team but it is hard to make a case that contradicts their point. Now there are many unproven variables on the team that may jolt the Bills out of their 6 year funk and give us all hope again, but it is hard to forecast such an occurance.

Can Nall translate his NFL Europe success into production for the Bills? 

704245[/snapback]

I am a believer that Nall can hold a clipboard and wear a visor with the best of them.

I'm not disagreeing(though I have no idea of their staff myself) but....

Wasn't the great Joel Buchsbaum a youngish dorky guy not so long back?

704226[/snapback]

buchsbaum was an absolute freak - he will never be replaced:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2003/wr...res.second.html

butler, polian, and bobby beatherd attended his funeral.

Enough to make the playoffs?...no, but I'd really like to bet the Bills will be .500.

704186[/snapback]

You can. The Vegas over/under for number of Bills wins this year is 6.5 at around +110/-120. So you can bet like $1000 on the over to win $1100

You can.  The Vegas over/under for number of Bills wins this year is 6.5 at around +110/-120.  So you can bet like $1000 on the over to win $1100

705213[/snapback]

There's the indicator of where the smart money is. If the Bills bashers were setting the odds a grand would buy you 10gs. Basically the bashers have an axe to grind or, more likely, suffer from the group pile-on mentality.

I don't disagree with his assessment of the Bills not making the playoffs this year. Its possible but if your a betting man, the odds would be in your favour to pick them not to make the playoffs.

As for saying you can write them off right now (along with only the Jets and Niners?) that is someone trying to make a prediction off of just what his peers are saying. How are the Titans that much better then Buffalo will be? What about the Packers? What have they done except have Favre agree to come back to make them that much better then last year? So Eric Moulds is gonna help the Texans Defence that much more then he did Buffalos? (Texans had a worse offensiveline then Buffalo last year) Can the Chargers expect Rivers too carry the team back into only contending for a playoff spot with almost no experience?

If any of those teams are in the group of teams that could make the playoffs, Buffalo should be right in there with them.

704137[/snapback]

He must of been watching last years pathetic team.Imagine that to make that prediction!..................what a moron!

anyone here disagree with his statement ?

I fully agree. Doesn't mean were not heading in the right direction for the future, its just the future won't be this year.

705626[/snapback]

I completely disagree. Picking only those 3 teams is at least half of the teams I don't think will make the playoffs.

Personally, I think any team can make the playoffs any year in the NFL with how parity is. Coaching and injuries play a big part in it.

If we want to play the game he is playing though, there are many more teams to eliminate. To add a few on:

- Green Bay

- Tennessee

- Oakland

I completely disagree.  Picking only those 3 teams is at least half of the teams I don't think will make the playoffs.

Personally, I think any team can make the playoffs any year in the NFL with how parity is.  Coaching and injuries play a big part in it.

If we want to play the game he is playing though, there are many more teams to eliminate.  To add a few on:

- Green Bay

- Tennessee

- Oakland

705768[/snapback]

You can add in Houston, (is moulds going to be able to keep Carr off his @ss?)

San Diego (Brees couldn't get them into the playoffs last year, Rivers is?)