OT Legal question

I know there are a few of you out there who will know the answer to this....

If someone comes to my door to serve a subpoena to me, but I'm not there and a family member takes possession of it, what are my rights? Am I obligated to appear?

Here's the stupid part....the person wanting me to testify on their behalf in a custody case is not going to get any benefit from my testimony. The person is a scumbag pervert who tried to kiss my barely teenaged daughter.

On top of that...I have a job interview the day of the court appearance.

The document says that I'll be in contempt and can be arrested if I fail to appear.

Any thoughts or advise? I obviously have no interest in wasting my time on this matter.

I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But if it were me, I'd see if I could put the interview off for a day, explain to them you were given subpoena in a custody case and just leave it at that, and go to court, so you can see the expression on the scumbags face when you give your testimony.

I know there are a few of you out there who will know the answer to this....

If someone comes to my door to serve a subpoena to me, but I'm not there and a family member takes possession of it, what are my rights? Am I obligated to appear?

Here's the stupid part....the person wanting me to testify on their behalf in a custody case is not going to get any benefit from my testimony. The person is a scumbag pervert who tried to kiss my barely teenaged daughter.

On top of that...I have a job interview the day of the court appearance.

The document says that I'll be in contempt and can be arrested if I fail to appear.

Any thoughts or advise? I obviously have no interest in wasting my time on this matter.

704063[/snapback]

Given that you claim that the scumbag tried to make your daughter, and you are sure the truth was spoken, why would you NOT want to speak? :P

Edited by stuckincincy

Having worked in the legal field the answer to your question can be either way depending on the state. NY law I do not know.

Call the attoney for the other side and discuss wit him. It will not cost you for his opinion and if you will help his case see what he can do to help move the event. He should be your biggest help.

Lawyers love postponing things because they make money on each postponement.