how much did RW say he can get for naming rights?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...m.ap/index.html

note - nashville's metro area is 1.311 million, smaller than the buffalo-rochester metro area (about 1.5 million).

703953[/snapback]

It only works out to 3 million a year, and sinc he does not own the stadium (erie county does) I'm not sure how much of that huge jackpot would go to the Bills

Won't he have to buy the stadium too?

704008[/snapback]

naming rights were negotiated in the lease and given to Ralph I believe. He wanted them PRECISELY to not have the stadium named. He hates the idea and resented the name "Rich" stadium since it was built.

naming rights were negotiated in the lease and given to Ralph I believe.  He wanted them PRECISELY to not have the stadium named.  He hates the idea and resented the name "Rich" stadium since it was built.

704025[/snapback]

would you agree, scott, that he shouldn't complain so much about revenue inflows when he's turning up his nose at an easy $2.5-3 mill/year?

oh, never mind i found it:

"Naming Rights: Marine Midland Bank paid $15 million for 20-year naming rights in 1996. March 17, 2000 changed to parent company name HSBC Arena "

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/BuffaloSabres/index.htm

That's $750K a year, which started 10 YEARS ago. Ralphie could get at least $1 million/year for the stadium. Sounds to me he just doesn't want to, and likes his name up in lights instead. Methinks he should pay the franchise $1 million a year out of his own pocket for the rights!

Hell, M&T Bank pays the Ravens $5 million a year to name their stadium...they did that because they were just moving into the baltimore market at the time. The generosity and involvement of M&T in the community would make them obvious candidates. Sounds like a load of krap to me.

==================

"Businesses regularly pay millions to attach their names to sports and entertainment venues, such as the FleetCenter in Boston, sponsored by Fleet Bank. M&T Bank this week agreed to pay the Baltimore Ravens $5 million a year for 15 years to put its name on the football team’s stadium. "

http://www.commercialalert.org/news/archiv...g-naming-rights

Ralph would get anywhere from 1 million - 2 million for naming rights.

It wouldnt do a thing.

Ralph was not worried about his money or the Bills moving.

Ralph was worried about the revenue sharing structure of the new CBA. Why was he worried?? Because they approved a new CBA without even reading it!!

Ralph wanted to make sure the Bills would still receive revenue sharing. I promise everyone, if Ralph didnt make a big deal, there was no way the Bills would be one of a few teams that sit on the committee that decides who gets revenue sharing.

Ever since the NFL allowed Ralph to be part of this committee, I have not heard one word from him.

Just put it this way, 1 million would not have even paid Josh Reed's or Ryan Denney's signing bonus.

What that money might do is add some perks to the stadium for players, which might help to recruit free agents.

The Houston texans make a ton from naming rights and luxury boxes, and its not a surprise to see the facilities and perks the players in Houston get.

But they still suck as a team.

would you agree, scott, that he shouldn't complain so much about revenue inflows when he's turning up his nose at an easy $2.5-3 mill/year?

704043[/snapback]

Gregg Easterbrook (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) wrote about this:

True, only Buffalo has a stadium named for its current owner. The new crowd of max-marketing owners such as Robert McNair and Daniel Snyder have a point when they note Wilson wants them to share the wealth in part so that he can keep his stadium named after himself; while if Snyder or McNair named their teams' fields after themselves, they would be accused of egotism. The point that can be made in Wilson's corner involves succession. Wilson may leave the team to his wife Mary, engaging no estate tax, or to his daughters, which would involve them borrowing to pay the estate tax. In either case, if the franchise stays in the family, Mary or the daughters would be deeply hesitant to move the team away from a stadium named for Ralph. Whereas if the place were named Call Now for Papa John's Spicy Buffalo Wings Stadium, there would be no sentimental attachment and new Bills management might say, "Los Angeles, here we come." Ralph Wilson choose the stadium name in part to increase the odds the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death, a point that isn't widely known.

Yours truly loves (and slightly knows) Ralph Wilson, but lobbied for the Orchard Park facility to be named Robert Kalsu Field. The sole American professional athlete who died in uniform during the Vietnam War, Kalsu voluntarily left the Bills in order to serve his country, surrendering an exemption. Whatever you thought of the Vietnam War, there is no higher patriotism than to serve voluntarily from the sense of duty, not owing to conscription. Though I wish the Bills' facility were named for Kalsu, the fieldhouse adjoining Wilson Stadium is now Robert Kalsu Fieldhouse, and a statue at the stadium stands in his honor. That's pretty good when you take into account that Kalsu died before the 24-7 cable era -- 99 percent of those who follow sports have never so much as heard his name. Which brings us to the question of a man whose name definitely has been heard. The new football facility rising in Glendale, Ariz., has the working designation Cardinals Stadium. If on dedication day its name is not Pat Tillman Field, the Cardinals franchise, and the whole National Football League, should be ashamed.

Here's the link.

Just put it this way, 1 million would not have even paid Josh Reed's or Ryan Denney's signing bonus.

What that money might do is add some perks to the stadium for players, which might help to recruit free agents. 

The Houston texans make a ton from naming rights and luxury boxes, and its not a surprise to see the facilities and perks the players in Houston get.

But they still suck as a team.

704112[/snapback]

first of all, he could probably get what TN got - 3 mill per year. as for whether it pays the salary of london fletcher or whoever, it doesn't matter -- it's an incremental thing. all those amounts of 2 and 3 million add up, and you don't turn your nose up at it if it's staring you in the face and involves little effort to take it.

Gregg Easterbrook (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) wrote about this:

True, only Buffalo has a stadium named for its current owner. The new crowd of max-marketing owners such as Robert McNair and Daniel Snyder have a point when they note Wilson wants them to share the wealth in part so that he can keep his stadium named after himself; while if Snyder or McNair named their teams' fields after themselves, they would be accused of egotism. The point that can be made in Wilson's corner involves succession. Wilson may leave the team to his wife Mary, engaging no estate tax, or to his daughters, which would involve them borrowing to pay the estate tax. In either case, if the franchise stays in the family, Mary or the daughters would be deeply hesitant to move the team away from a stadium named for Ralph. Whereas if the place were named Call Now for Papa John's Spicy Buffalo Wings Stadium, there would be no sentimental attachment and new Bills management might say, "Los Angeles, here we come." Ralph Wilson choose the stadium name in part to increase the odds the Bills remain in Buffalo after his death, a point that isn't widely known.

Yours truly loves (and slightly knows) Ralph Wilson, but lobbied for the Orchard Park facility to be named Robert Kalsu Field. The sole American professional athlete who died in uniform during the Vietnam War, Kalsu voluntarily left the Bills in order to serve his country, surrendering an exemption. Whatever you thought of the Vietnam War, there is no higher patriotism than to serve voluntarily from the sense of duty, not owing to conscription. Though I wish the Bills' facility were named for Kalsu, the fieldhouse adjoining Wilson Stadium is now Robert Kalsu Fieldhouse, and a statue at the stadium stands in his honor. That's pretty good when you take into account that Kalsu died before the 24-7 cable era -- 99 percent of those who follow sports have never so much as heard his name. Which brings us to the question of a man whose name definitely has been heard. The new football facility rising in Glendale, Ariz., has the working designation Cardinals Stadium. If on dedication day its name is not Pat Tillman Field, the Cardinals franchise, and the whole National Football League, should be ashamed.

Here's the link.

704146[/snapback]

1. Easterbrook is a Bills fan (from Kenmore) and a huge fan of tradition, but he should recognize that money being left on the table is not a good thing for this team. And although the Ralph is the only stadium currently named after a team's owner, it certainly is not the only stadium forgoing revenue. The nation's largest media market--you know, the one with the two teams in New Jersey--is the best example.

2. More importantly, Papa John's is now screwing up wings as well as pizza? Good Lord. Can the FDA get involved or something?

Ralph would get anywhere from 1 million - 2 million for naming rights.

It wouldnt do a thing.

Ralph was not worried about  his money or the Bills moving.

Ralph was worried about the revenue sharing structure of the new CBA.  Why was he worried??  Because they approved a new CBA without even reading it!!

Ralph wanted to make sure the Bills would still receive revenue sharing.  I promise everyone, if Ralph didnt make a big deal, there was no way the Bills would be one of a few teams that sit on the committee that decides who gets revenue sharing.

Dead-on. ;)

Ever since the NFL allowed Ralph to be part of this committee, I have not heard one word from him.

Or any of his pre-committee-appointment critics. :lol:

"That old fool, he's...what, he got on the committee?!" 0:)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...m.ap/index.html

note - nashville's metro area is 1.311 million, smaller than the buffalo-rochester metro area (about 1.5 million).

703953[/snapback]

That would have been his share. If all owners thought the way that he did, the Bills would have a lot less money too. I don't know how the new CBA has changed that.

If he gets $1.00, it's $1.00 more than he is getting now. Senile old fart.

It's amazing how much abuse Ralph has taken for not selling those naming rights. Do you realize what it is you're complaining about? The fact Ralph could increase his own income by, say, $2 million a year, but is failing to do so. In other words, it's $2 million a year (or whatever it may be) out of Ralph's pocket, as opposed to exactly $0 out of any of ours. So why are so many people angry? If Ralph decides to leave some of his own money on the table, it's his right to do so. And if he thinks his heirs will be less likely to leave a stadium named after him, we should be thanking him for making this financial sacrifice to help keep the team in Buffalo.

What's amazing to me is how ridiculous Bills fans sound when they criticize Ralph. So WHAT if he's complaining about how much money he'll be losing if things don't go his way? You want the team to move? You want higher gameday prices? You want an owner who kow-tows to the "new guard?

I sure as hell don't.

Amazing!

What's amazing to me is how ridiculous Bills fans sound when they criticize Ralph.  So WHAT if he's complaining about how much money he'll be losing if things don't go his way?  You want the team to move?  You want higher gameday prices?  You want an owner who kow-tows to the "new guard?

I sure as hell don't.

Amazing!

704428[/snapback]

I think what is eliciting some of the complaints is that Ralph is making statements about the financial situation which at best are counter-intuitive (the fact is that NFL team ownership is the closest thing going to a guaranteed financial investment- it is true that he will have to split the insane level of profits with his partners the NFLPA and that he will make less insane profits than Dan Snyder, but even the common man still recognizes that the big income item is the evenly divided TV money and that even though he will get less of more, that less of more is still a lot)

and at worst these comments are some inherent sign of senility.

Actually, what appears to be the case to me is that Ralph is portraying the situation in the worse light for his bottomline and for the Bills stayibng here after he is gone as this will inject the issue of tax dollar transfer to his business into the November governors race and the outcome would likely be Spitzer and whichever GOP candidate falling over themselves to deliver a ton of corporate welfare to the Bills.

This would be morally unfair and actually probably a bad business investment for the state, but I am all for this as it would result in keeping my foiotball team in my town and actually be a good business investment for Buffalo is the way this resource transfer is done is to set up a NYS taxpayer funded stadium authority to build and own a new stadium in downtown Buffalo which the Bills will get defacto ownership of in controlling this asset.