June 6, 1944

Thank you, brave souls...

703814[/snapback]

You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely....The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." ~General Dwight D. Eisenhower giving the D-Day order on June 6, 1944.

Now THIS is a reason to be talking about 6/6/06.  :P

703886[/snapback]

My Dad was in Italy at that time - radioman/gunner on B-24 Liberator bombers. He did his training in Boca Raton. Fla. When our dear Mom passed on in 2001, in her papers were several WWII-era letters - those onion-skin envelope and writing surface all-in-one things.

In one, my Dad was telling his young bride about some base entertainment in Boca before he was shipped overseas, and entered into combat - "It was a real, real hep band, Bertie!"...etc.

We don't think of it, but once upon a time, our parents were kids, too! :blink:

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Russians for making the invasion of Normandy possible...

703924[/snapback]

Thank US industrial might for propping up Stalin's war machine, FDR with diminshed capacity, Hitler's eschwing of strategic bombers and his syphillitic, amphetamine melagomania more than the Ruskies.

Thanks for the reminder. Damn, this morning on the radio it was all about the 666 thing. Interviewing pregnant moms about having their babies today.

Not a hint about D-Day. Sometimes we have our priorities a little twisted.

:P

I hope it is not to late to say Thanks!

704458[/snapback]

Never is, Nick! Many European countries held ceremonies...how fortunate we are, having never been a conquered Nation...or suffered the aftermath when freedom came.

Edited by stuckincincy