Manbearpig The Movie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A simply retarded review from a retarded paper.

Global warming hasn't noticed that we got the lead out of our gasoline or that Stage One smog days in Los Angeles fell from 121 in 1977 to zero in 2004. All regulations and taxes to date have done nothing. Does this hint that pollution isn't the cause?

Maybe because lead isn't the same as CO2, you idiot. It's like the kid failing just about everything who wants to point out he got an 'A' in P.E.

Regulations and taxes don't change the fact that consumption has gone way up. But high prices will eventually drive people to make choices that result in less consumption. The question is, how high? 3.50? Higher?

displaying a cartoon of a scale with Earth on one side and bars of gold on the other. "OK, on one side we have gold bars," he says. "Mmm, mmm, don't they look good!"

This was a joke, stemming from a diagram that the first Bush administration used as part of its response to the Global Warming Summit in the early 90s. They came up with it, not Gore.

People are skeptical about global warming because it builds up to the same chorus as every other lefty hymn: more taxes, more hypocritical scolding (the film is the brainchild of Larry David's wife, Laurie, part of the community of people who drive a Prius to the private plane) and especially more America-bashing.

Another preposterous piece of criticism. Gore makes plain that he thinks entrepreneurship and the private sector are going to be a huge part of the green revolution and that our ingenuity should be tapped for such purposes, not taxed. As for the snide 'private plane' comment, all the travel involved for this film was subsidized in energy terms by buying CO2 credits to offset. It's a novel idea. And the point above all is that we have the power to do something about this. The dinosaurs would love to place the emphasis on the messenger rather than the recipients to keep us docile and line their pockets.

Hate Gore if you must, but his movie is stellar and I think its message is a positive one about our abilities to adapt and change and make the future a better one. South Park can kiss my ass. What do those guys do besides point and laugh at everything? I can't see for one moment how they have changed the world for the better. The attitude they advocate breeds more of the apathy that is ruining this country. I'm out.

Hell, I might as well go catatonic with this info! I’m still scared stiff from that “In Search of” The new Ice age episode back in the seventy’s hosted by Spock. Coring at the time predicted that our plant was cooling down and entering into another Ice age and we better get use to polar bears running around in south Florida.

Oh, BTW smog is a greenhouse gas, Nitrogen oxides and water vapors are components. Water vapor can account for over half of the greenhouse gas in our atmosphere at any one time. Maybe if we install giant dehumidifiers around the world we could eliminate half the problem and then we can get Manbearpig.

Hell, I might as well go catatonic with this info!  I’m still scared stiff from that “In Search of” The new Ice age episode back in the seventy’s hosted by Spock.  Coring at the time predicted that our plant was cooling down and entering into another Ice age and we better get use to polar bears running around in south Florida. 

Oh, BTW smog is a greenhouse gas, Nitrogen oxides and water vapors are components.  Water vapor can account for over half of the greenhouse gas in our atmosphere at any one time.  Maybe if we install giant dehumidifiers around the world we could eliminate half the problem and then we can get Manbearpig.

702775[/snapback]

I have no idea what you are saying in the second paragraph.

As for the new Ice Age, that was a prediction based on likely climate swings absent man's influence. It's still valid - the most likely outcome, if there were no external influences, would have been for this current 'Ice Age Summer' to end within a thousand years and glaciers to come back. That has been the pattern for the last million years.

Looking over the past 100 million years, the planet has been cooling off. We are currently in an exceptionally long (10,000 years) periodic thaw. The odds that, without man's influence, we randomly happen to be alive at the point in which the moving averages of global temperatures are finally turning upwards, breaking the trend to head back towards what they were 50 million years ago... well, that's as strong an argument for Intelligent Design as any, I suppose.

As for the new Ice Age,  that was a prediction based on likely climate swings absent man's influence.  It's still valid - the most likely outcome, if there were no external influences, would have been for this current 'Ice Age Summer' to end within a thousand years and glaciers to come back.  That has been the pattern for the last million years.

Looking over the past 100 million years, the planet has been cooling off.  We are currently in an exceptionally long (10,000 years) periodic thaw. The odds that, without man's influence,  we randomly happen to be alive at the point in which the moving averages of global temperatures are finally turning upwards, breaking the trend to head back towards what they were 50 million years ago...  well,  that's as strong an argument for Intelligent Design as any, I suppose.

702790[/snapback]

Now I'm unclear on your last paragraph. Are you saying that the past 100 or so years of industry have caused the 10,000 year thaw?

Now I'm unclear on your last paragraph.  Are you saying that the past 100 or so years of industry have caused the 10,000 year thaw?

702799[/snapback]

No it was GW Bush and Haliburton

If only America was full of agrarian folk singers like China. Koo-bay-yah Mother Earth

Don’t worry I don’t know what the heck I’m saying either.

The question is and will always be how much of the warming is due to a natural cycle and how much is due to mans emission of greenhouse gases in the larger climatic cooling mega trend, cause if its something like .0001 percent then I’m not going to worry about it.

Now I'm unclear on your last paragraph.  Are you saying that the past 100 or so years of industry have caused the 10,000 year thaw?

702799[/snapback]

No, the thaw is warm spell that occurs between the waves of glaciatation, a pattern that has repeated itself for the 500,000 years. The warm spell has now lasted about 10,000 years, which is about as long as the warm spells have lasted in the past. So unless the pattern is broken, we would expect a return to glaciaration and ice age temperatures (lasting maybe 40,000 years), some time in next thousand years or so.

It was discovering this geologic pattern that caused scientists in the 70's to predict a return to the ice age. Their evidence was based on trends for the last million years, and assumed no impact from man.

If anyone cares, I've thrown together some temperature charts for the past 100 million years.

Temperature charts

If you treat them like stock prices and submit them to technical analysis, you will see from the moving averages (both long term and the short-term 'ice age' average) that for temperatures to ubruptly start rising now represents a breakout from the natural pattern. Good time to buy if you like the heat.

And that's really my point. If it's not because of our influence, then why is the trend breaking now, after all these millions of years?

No,  the thaw is warm spell that occurs between the waves of glaciatation, a pattern that has repeated itself for the 500,000 years.  The warm spell has now lasted about 10,000 years,  which is about as long as the warm spells have lasted in the past.  So unless the pattern is broken, we would expect a return to glaciaration and ice age temperatures (lasting maybe 40,000 years),  some time in next thousand years or so.

It was discovering this geologic pattern that caused scientists in the 70's to predict a return to the ice age.  Their evidence was based on trends for the last million years, and assumed no impact from man.

702924[/snapback]

This is a serious question:

Are you saying that we are all going to die via global warming when in by rights we should all die due to a natural ice age? Is the freezing death somehow more pure? Dead is dead right?

If anyone cares,  I've thrown together some temperature charts for the past 100 million years.

Temperature charts

If you treat them like stock prices and submit them to technical analysis,  you will see from the moving averages (both long term and the short-term 'ice age' average) that for temperatures to ubruptly start rising now represents a breakout from the natural pattern.  Good time to buy if you like the heat.

And that's really my point.  If it's not because of our influence, then why is the trend breaking now,  after all these millions of years?

702925[/snapback]

Because trends never change, do they?

What's the answer? Should we all go back to horse and carraige transport? I have an idea. Why don't all those who are concerned about global warming turn in their cars, quit using electricity and move to the country? There are plenty of Amish communities around where I live that would be HAPPY to have the labor.

Because trends never change, do they?

What's the answer? Should we all go back to horse and carraige transport? I have an idea. Why don't all those who are concerned about global warming turn in their cars, quit using electricity and move to the country? There are plenty of Amish communities around where I live that would be HAPPY to have the labor.

703100[/snapback]

Again, recognizing that the technology needed to combat global warming is not in full support, one can do things like buy all their electricity from wind power (I do and that's what the people behind the movie did as well) and figure out what their footprint is in terms of usage to buy energy credits to offset it. It's a way to support this system in its infancy instead of letting it die because more powerful interests wish to suppress it.

I'm willing to pay a bit more to ensure a better future. It's a shame more people don't feel that way.

An Inconvenient Truth was #9 at the box office over the weekend, despite playing in only 77 theatres nationwide.  It grossed $1.3 million in 77 theatres.  Compare that to the $34 million X-men III made in a staggering 3700 theatres.  Is it any wonder that Big Oil and their shills are attacking Gore's movie?

703114[/snapback]

:P

Again, recognizing that the technology needed to combat global warming is not in full support, one can do things like buy all their electricity from wind power (I do and that's what the people behind the movie did as well)

Hello??? Wind farms spoil uncle Teddy's view. Next idea?

I'm sure Manbearpig took Kennedy to task in his movie on that one. :P

An Inconvenient Truth was #9 at the box office over the weekend, despite playing in only 77 theatres nationwide.  It grossed $1.3 million in 77 theatres.  Compare that to the $34 million X-men III made in a staggering 3700 theatres.  Is it any wonder that Big Oil and their shills are attacking Gore's movie?

703114[/snapback]

Uhhhhh.....

So?

Uhhhhh.....

So?

703133[/snapback]

The original post in this thread linked to a hit-piece on An Inconvenient Truth. I linked to the week-two box office numbers for the same film. It looks like the negative press and propaganda from Big Oil has actually had a positive impact with regards to people going out and seeing Gore's film, no doubt quite the opposite effect that Big Oil and their media lackeys wanted. I thought it seemed relevent in light of this thread. I apologize that the standards for what I consider relevent on the PPP are not on the same level of yours...an inconvenient truth, indeed. Mea culpa.

The original post in this thread linked to a hit-piece on An Inconvenient Truth.  I linked to the week-two box office numbers for the same film.  It looks like the negative press and propaganda from Big Oil has actually had a positive impact with regards to people going out and seeing Gore's film, no doubt quite the opposite effect that Big Oil and their media lackeys wanted.  I thought it seemed relevent in light of this thread.  I apologize that the standards for what I consider relevent on the PPP are not on the same level of yours...an inconvenient truth, indeed.  Mea culpa.

703142[/snapback]

So you're quoting box office receipts as an "in your face" to the Great Oil Conspircay? And this seems sane to you?

I'll give you credit, though, for at least speaking to the same aura of general stupidity that permeates this thread. And extra credit for the "Don't defend, counterattack!" strategem...we'll just have to call you Karl Rove Jr. from now on... :P

Hello???  Wind farms spoil uncle Teddy's view.  Next idea?

I'm sure Manbearpig took Kennedy to task in his movie on that one.    :P

703129[/snapback]

Screw the Kennedys, RFK Jr. and anyone else who feels that way. I've not gone on the record as supporting any of them. In fact, I wrote an angry letter to RFK Jr. about it and still haven't heard back. The guy's a hack. Besideswhich, the movie is not so much about taking anyone to task (except for those who say global warming isn't happening). It's about a system-wide problem that includes the Kennedys and the Bushes and those who stand in the way of a better future.