Explain this to me

(05/31/06 -- RALEIGH) - It's the biggest hockey game of the season, so why are seats still available at the RBC Center?

The Carolina Hurricanes face the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday for a shot at the Stanley Cup.

Fans are shelling out hundreds of dollars to watch the biggest game of the NHL season, but they are not all Carolina fans.

So, why aren't the seats at the RBC Center full of red shirts? Some say it's just too expensive, with the cheapest seat costing $70.

Despite a price increase due to the playoffs, 'Canes tickets are still the cheapest in the NHL.

"We encourage people to come out because I'd rather see those tickets sold to Hurricanes fans than to see them sold to Buffalo fans who come down and make a lot of noise," said RBC Center general manager David Olsen.

Officials say plenty of seats are still available.

So let me get this straight...$70 hockey tickets are too expensive for fans living in the prosperous Research Triangle, yet $100 and $200 tickets sell out in 12 minutes in economically-depressed Buffalo?

David, the problem ain't the prices...it's the fact you don't have any real fans. And yes, those nasty Buffalo fans are loud. :lol:

PTR

Must be too many Ph.Ds are locked up in their research this time of year.

Once you visit, I think you'll get the gist of it all. But they have the loudest soundtrack in the league...... WoooooHooooo!!

Once you visit, I think you'll get the gist of it all.  But they have the loudest soundtrack in the league...... WoooooHooooo!!

700864[/snapback]

Ah yes, Rick Flair leading the cheers, isn't it? :lol:

Just more evidence that outside of the Northern transplants who will be rooting for the Sabres or staying home because their team isn't in it, it's still just redneck country and they don't take kindly to those Yankee sports like hockey.

For your reading pleasure...

In search of the Caniacs

By Bomani Jones

Special to Page 2

DURHAM, N.C. -- While sipping my morning cup of "SportsCenter" a few weeks ago, I saw the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., on the verge of exploding during a Carolina Hurricanes win over the New Jersey Devils in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. So according to the reported attendance, at least 18,730 people 'round these parts care about hockey.

So how come I only know two of them?

My guess is about 60-65% of the TVs in Buffalo will be tuned in to the game tomorrow.

In Raleigh? 10% of the TVs would be a lot.

If there's any justice in the universe, the Sabres will advance.

Personally I'm a little sick of this talk. Seems a lot like trolling to me. They have a good hockey team, their fans that show are loud. Yes Buffalo fans are die hard to make the trek but enough tooting our own horns and picking on the other guy. Let's just play some HOCKEY! FYI - If we do win the game tomorrow, we'll quickly become the less crazy hockey town...

When you think about the population on North and South Carolina, not selling out a game 7 in minutes is ridiculous. They are basically the South\North Carolina Hurricanes, right? They don't have the nads to associate a specific city with this team or there would be no fans. They don't even go by the North Carolina Hurricanes. Imagine if it were the Raleigh Hurricanes! What would attendance be? Pathetic!! And some of their fans are criticizing the city of Buffalo and its economy. At least we are the Buffalo Sabres and damn proud of it!!! Hopefully the South\North Carolina Hurricanes are out after tonight and we'll play a city with some pride...................

Personally I'm a little sick of this talk.  Seems a lot like trolling to me.  They have a good hockey team, their fans that show are loud.  Yes Buffalo fans are die hard to make the trek but enough tooting our own horns and picking on the other guy.  Let's just play some HOCKEY!  FYI - If we do win the game tomorrow, we'll quickly become the less crazy hockey town...

700923[/snapback]

True. Store windows broken, fires in the streets, and riot police in Edmonton with water canons.

FYI - If we do win the game tomorrow, we'll quickly become the less crazy hockey town...

700923[/snapback]

That all has to change, Buffalo needs to get that tittle away from Edmonton, Lets get the National guard called into Buffalo! You can't let a bunch of Canadian fans out west have that title

j/k

When you think about the population on North and South Carolina, not selling out a game 7 in minutes is ridiculous.  They are basically the South\North Carolina Hurricanes, right?  They don't have the nads to associate a specific city with this team or there would be no fans.  They don't even go by the North Carolina Hurricanes.  Imagine if it were the Raleigh Hurricanes!  What would attendance be?  Pathetic!!  And some of their fans are criticizing the city of Buffalo and its economy.  At least we are the Buffalo Sabres and damn proud of it!!!  Hopefully the South\North Carolina Hurricanes are out after tonight and we'll play a city with some pride...................

701114[/snapback]

Unfortunately, your assumption is incorrect. I lived in Raleigh for 8 years. Yes, their name is the Carolina Hurricanes. However, they are not marketed outside NC. Even marginally in the Charlotte / Asheville area. They are marketed/supported very well in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Greensboro/Greenville area. It is a matter of interest and involvement. I's sure that some of my former Raleigh neighbors can support this.