As Hurricane Season Looms, States Aim to Scare

• 2 weeks later...
Warn, but don't warn to much, easy peasy :P no I did'nt read the article but I do have insomnia :D

700503[/snapback]

I live in Florida, not in an evacuation zone and after 4 hirricanes and 1 tropical storms in 2004 in Florida, I was grateful because I had no problems. Then last year was Katrina, Rita and Wilma. Other storms in that time frame caused some wind and rain but not enough to cause trouble at my house. (Tropical Storm Gabrielle caused two trees in my yard to come down in 2003.) Someday my luck here in the Bradenton-Sarasota area will run out. I have canned food, I have bottled water, I have batteries, I have gas for my grill, I have a generator But am I really prepared? I live inland so the surge worries me but that is not my major concern. The wind scares me. Though I have a new roof (done less than 1-1/2 year ago) will that hold? Water is a killer, but people forget that Andrew was also a major wind event. Homestead was inland and the damages were because of wind mostly (and tornados) not water or storm surge. Will my roof hold up to a Cat 3 or greater I don't know.

I work with this information daily as part of my job. I moved from New York eleven years ago and in seven years (doing this job) have learned to be better prepared. It is not a joking matter. I willingly made the choice to live here and I will just try to be as prepared as I can be for the worst. I have lived through blizzard with 75 mph wind (which is hurricane strength), I will live through this by being prepared.

Just got back from a conference where a senior VP from a major US global corporation (Fortune consumer packaged goods) spoke about Katrina and his company's response. It was heartening, in a way, to hear him advocate to his follow executives to develop post-hurricane support plans such as his company used, stating that with the inability to rely on FEMA etc that corporations need to step up to the plate. Of course his company will get tons of great press for what they did (he showed a video testimonial about their response and all the grateful citizens/employees) and any costs wil be passed along to the consumers (us) over time. But we'd pay for it one way or another and I have more faith in a group like that than our incompetent governmental agencies.

Just got back from a conference where a senior VP from a major US global corporation (Fortune consumer packaged goods) spoke about Katrina and his company's response.  It was heartening, in a way, to hear him advocate to his follow executives to develop post-hurricane support plans such as his company used, stating that with the inability to rely on FEMA etc that corporations need to step up to the plate.  Of course his company will get tons of great press for what they did (he showed a video testimonial about their response and all the grateful citizens/employees) and any costs wil be passed along to the consumers (us) over time.  But we'd pay for it one way or another and I have more faith in a group like that than our incompetent governmental agencies.

705731[/snapback]

Slowly but surely, we'll make you a republican :D

Your just saying don't rely on the government, do it yourself.

Just got back from a conference where a senior VP from a major US global corporation (Fortune consumer packaged goods) spoke about Katrina and his company's response.  It was heartening, in a way, to hear him advocate to his follow executives to develop post-hurricane support plans such as his company used, stating that with the inability to rely on FEMA etc that corporations need to step up to the plate.  Of course his company will get tons of great press for what they did (he showed a video testimonial about their response and all the grateful citizens/employees) and any costs wil be passed along to the consumers (us) over time.  But we'd pay for it one way or another and I have more faith in a group like that than our incompetent governmental agencies.

705731[/snapback]

Corporations Good? :D

As for hurricane season, there is a big difference between FLA and NY. I think people in FLA understand and don't need to be told about preparations. But as the article pointed out, there is a scare tactic at play with the whole "the north east is overdue for a big hurricane" angle. There is no such thing as "overdue" unless you are waiting for a train. The odds of a major hurricane hitting the northeast are not higher or lower as a result of one not hitting last year. We may be entering a more active hurricane cycle, but much like shark attacks a few summers ago, this is just the media circle jerk of the day.

I live in Florida, not in an evacuation zone and after 4 hirricanes and 1 tropical storms in 2004 in Florida, I was grateful because I had no problems.  Then last year was Katrina, Rita and Wilma.  Other storms in that time frame caused some wind and rain but not enough to cause trouble at my house.  (Tropical Storm Gabrielle caused two trees in my yard to come down in 2003.)  Someday my luck here in the Bradenton-Sarasota area will run out.  I have canned food, I have bottled water, I have batteries, I have gas for my grill, I have a generator But am I really prepared?  I live inland so the surge worries me but that is not my major concern.  The wind scares me.  Though I have a new roof (done less than 1-1/2 year ago) will that hold?  Water is a killer, but people forget that Andrew was also a major wind event.  Homestead was inland and the damages were because of wind mostly (and tornados) not water or storm surge. Will my roof hold up to a Cat 3 or greater I don't know.

I work with this information daily as part of my job.  I moved from New York eleven years ago and in seven years (doing this job) have learned to be better prepared.  It is not a joking matter.  I willingly made the choice to live here and I will just try to be as prepared as I can be for the worst.  I have lived through blizzard with 75 mph wind (which is hurricane strength), I will live through this by being prepared.

705553[/snapback]

Boy scout?