Lets go Sabres!

Pete

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3:11am TX time....stayed up all night watching the game on video tape. God, I really love this team. I haven't enjoyed watching any sporting events, like this Sabres playoff run, since the last time they made it to the finals. I like this team so much more..

I think our four main blue-liners played their asses off tonight. Even AD would have to admitt that Rory Fitz had a strong game. I had no doubt the Sabres would win this one. Just a very strong feeling, even before the game started. I actually envisioned a 2-0 shutout. I can live with 2-1 in OT. Can't wait until Thursday night!

Even AD would have to admitt that Rory Fitz had a strong game.

I don't know if he would or should admit any such thing. I give the kid some credit for logging a bunch of important minutes in a win and getting better as teh game progressed. But after about 30:00 I was almost ready to choke that sumbitch if he blew one more routine clearing attempt. :lol:

Even AD would have to admitt that Rory Fitz had a strong game. 

700502[/snapback]

I have to disagree with this one. I understand he played a lot of minutes, but once again was one the ice when the canes scored and also spend half the game on his stomach, which I'm pretty sure is not an ideal position for a defensemen. I'm scared whenever he is on the ice.

The whining has started in Carolina: Canes Rail on Refs

The Carolina Hurricanes accused the duo (Bill McCreary and Dan O'Halloran) of missing three calls -- one by action, two by inaction -- in overtime that the Canes argued led directly to Daniel Briere's goal that gave the Buffalo Sabres a 2-1 win and sent the Eastern Conference finals to Game 7 on Thursday in Raleigh.

On the ensuing Buffalo power play, the Canes thought Bret Hedican was hooked and Justin Williams tripped, the latter play resulting in the goal when Briere sent Williams tumbling into Rod Brind'Amour, knocking the puck loose and clearing the space for Briere to score the winning goal.

"To have that called against you in overtime is disappointing," Hedican said. "And then Williams has the puck at the blue line and gets hauled down with no call. It's obviously a disappointing way to lose."

"I wholeheartedly disagree with the original call," Carolina coach Peter Laviolette said. "I wholeheartedly disagree with the two missed calls."

Uh, but the ticky-tack call in OT in game 5 against J.P. that led to the winning goal was ok, right Peter? Give me a fricking break. I thought there were a lot of no calls that went against the Sabres too. The refs better not bite and start calling crap in game 7.

The whining has started in Carolina: Canes Rail on Refs

The Carolina Hurricanes accused the duo (Bill McCreary and Dan O'Halloran) of missing three calls -- one by action, two by inaction -- in overtime that the Canes argued led directly to Daniel Briere's goal that gave the Buffalo Sabres a 2-1 win and sent the Eastern Conference finals to Game 7 on Thursday in Raleigh.

On the ensuing Buffalo power play, the Canes thought Bret Hedican was hooked and Justin Williams tripped, the latter play resulting in the goal when Briere sent Williams tumbling into Rod Brind'Amour, knocking the puck loose and clearing the space for Briere to score the winning goal.

"To have that called against you in overtime is disappointing," Hedican said. "And then Williams has the puck at the blue line and gets hauled down with no call. It's obviously a disappointing way to lose."

"I wholeheartedly disagree with the original call," Carolina coach Peter Laviolette said. "I wholeheartedly disagree with the two missed calls."

Uh, but the ticky-tack call in OT in game 5 against J.P. that led to the winning goal was ok, right Peter?  Give me a fricking break.  I thought there were a lot of no calls that went against the Sabres too.  The refs better not bite and start calling crap in game 7.

700601[/snapback]

This is a good thing! the more they are thinking about the refs, the less they're concentrating on us.

How about when Staal stepped on McKee's stick and McKee gets called for tripping? Or when Brind'Amour nearly gives himself whiplash trying to draw the "high sticking" call?

Bad calls are happening on both sides. Deal.

Unreal! You know, prior to the series I had respect for the Hurricanes. But these guys are WORSE than the Senators were. What a bunch of pussies!

If not for the Sabres' top-3 defensemen and Connolly being out, the Sabres would have swept this series. Hell even give them Cole back and it's the same result.

I have to disagree with this one.  I understand he played a lot of minutes, but once again was one the ice when the canes scored and also spend half the game on his stomach, which I'm pretty sure is not an ideal position for a defensemen.  I'm scared whenever he is on the ice.

700535[/snapback]

That may be true, but Mair was the guy who was way out of position on the Canes goal. It's 5-on-5, for crying out loud, and this guy was crowding the net when he should have been pressing the point man. Instead, he had an open shot.

One thing I've noticed about the Canes is that they pressure our guys when they're on the defensive, much moreso than we do. Especially when they're a man down. If you notice, they are always pressing the man with the puck. It seems to work well against our power play. We tend to lay back a bit more when we're a man down, which is more typical but...makes me have about three heart attacks per penalty kill.

But after about 30:00 I was almost ready to choke that sumbitch if he blew one more routine clearing attempt. :lol:

700517[/snapback]

I can't think of a Sabres defensemen who hasn't been guitly of this, througout the playoffs. Lydman is our best defensemen right now, and he has been guilty of more than one errant, lacidasical clearing attempt. Jay McKee also. I think Fitzpatrick and Pyatt (two Sabres whipping boys this season) have really played pretty well in the playoffs, particularly in this series.

On another note: Peter Laviolette has become my NHL equivalant of Jimmy Johnson, who I loathe...

The 'canes are whining about the ice in buffalo, too

Penalties can be disputed, but there was no dispute about the ice.

"It was pretty bad. I guess that's to be expected. It was 90 degrees today and it's a full house. Obviously, that affects the ice," said Carolina's Matt Cullen.

Bad ice is especially bad for teams like Carolina and Buffalo, who put a premium on skating and passing. Tuesday's game had more bounces than street hockey.

"It's bad for both teams. I don't know that it would favor anybody, really," Cullen said, "But it's too bad we have two really skilled teams playing and the ice is really bad."

The ice doesn't favor one team over the other, but it may favor the team that scores first. This was the lowest scoring game of the series, in part because of the lack of effective long passes and the difficulty of finding the handle on shots from the doorstep.

Thats from our good buddy ned barnett. what a homo. last time i checked, both teams played on the same ice surface.

Unreal!  You know, prior to the series I had respect for the Hurricanes.  But these guys are WORSE than the Senators were.  What a bunch of pussies!

700611[/snapback]

Not just the fans, but both teams seemed to have a lot of respect for one another early in the series. I think it's pretty much impossible to play a long series without growing disdain for the other side. I love Ruff but I'm sure we would hate him if he coached the enemy.

That said, Doug Weight's(sp?) postgame remarks were a joke. "Our team doesn't do that stuff" (ie try to draw penalties) rofl, Oh really?

And the ice in BETTER in Carolina, where it's hotter?

700701[/snapback]

Exactly.

But Carolina fans might still say the ice is better there. The explanation: Their players can draft better behind their own players in Carolina then in Buffalo.