Anyone here have a kickass backyard?

SDS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after clearing a bunch of scrub trees, I'm looking for ideas for the backyard. We already have a nice swingset for the kids that I will be expanding to accomodate some additional play equipment I inherited from the neighbor.  We have a 16x16 deck, but now I am wondering what to do next...

Does anyone have one particular aspect they like about their yard or their neighbor's yard?  A particular entertainment setup or a well used child's play station perhaps?

699816[/snapback]

Go kart track.

Viking. 53" grill.

699904[/snapback]

Ouch.... I could bring myself to do the BBQGalore line, but the Viking line was on a different planet... I made sure mine was removable from teh cart in case a built-in was ever in order.

Well, THAT has gotta hurt!

699937[/snapback]

Worse that's it's nothing but the refrain to "Sundown". For THREE FRIGGIN' DAYS.

"Sometimes, I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winnin' but I'm losin' again..."

The only thing that makes it bearable is thinking up different rhymes for the couplet: "Sometimes, I think it's a joke, when I see Jillson playing 'cause Tallinder's arm broke..." I'm driving the wife up the wall...

Worse that's it's nothing but the refrain to "Sundown".  For THREE FRIGGIN' DAYS.

"Sometimes, I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winnin' but I'm losin' again..."

The only thing that makes it bearable is thinking up different rhymes for the couplet:  "Sometimes, I think it's a joke, when I see Jillson playing 'cause Tallinder's arm broke..."  I'm driving the wife up the wall...

699985[/snapback]

:o

You could always switch to a different Lightfoot tune, like "The Wreck Known as Rory Fitzgerald."

Ouch....  I could bring myself to do the BBQGalore line, but the Viking line was on a different planet...  I made sure mine was removable from teh cart in case a built-in was ever in order.

699976[/snapback]

The dude was expecting his new Viking demo system in and was unloading his for a considerable cost savings. I'd have never shelled out retail for all of that, but I ended up buying it for what a regular island grill, side burner, etc. would cost without the food warmer and kegerator. In fact, the kegerator was the steal of the century because it was specifically built for outdoor use in extreme temperatures.

Well, I don't know about the TV, but I have thought about the Gazebo... I guess I wonder how many people actually use it and what I would need to include around it to make sure I use it...

699858[/snapback]

A decent square clamshell charcoal grill with variable vents will make the best grilled food. If you think you will have bunches of guests, buy two. Fifty or seventy bucks will buy you a decent Meco, made in Eastern Tennessee. Fine grille.

Buy good ingredients. Score the backside pork rib membrane. Don't slop up meat with sauces and condiments, after you have marinated them if the cut requires - the idea is to enjoy the taste of the meat. Dry rub after marinade...

Soak hickory chunks or whatever wood you want to smoke with, a day beforehand.

If you are BBQ'ing ribs, buy a $1 sprayer at K-Mart, fill it with apple juice, and squirt 'em at each turn. Stops dry-out and burns. Sauce if desired in the last 10 minutes.

For doneness, don't worry about pink color. Look for the meat to pull away from the ends of the bone, about a quarter inch.

A pool, lots of shrubs with a desert rock garden out in the sun then a shaded, covered "Caribbean" area with tropical plants/flowers, barbecue, ceiling fan, TV and stereo.

I'm lucky - I only have to cover my cactus when the temp falls below 35.