June Movies: Superman Returns, Cars, and...

After the shaky start of the Summer Season, The Da Vinci Code & X-Men:The Last Stand have brought back super numbers into the box office. Since the month of May started, moviegoers have experienced non-stop action and thrills, and even though the month of June has one of the more anticipated action films of the year, it is also filled with much more lighter and funnier subjects.

While it will make the majority of it's money in July & August, "Superman Returns" is a June movie, opening on it's very last day. Last year Warner Bros. attemepted to reignite it's Batman franchise with last summer's Batman Begins, the result was a tremendous success. The WB is now hoping that they can work the same magic with a franchise that has been dormant since 1987, much longer than the Batman series. While Batman Begins had a lesser known actor in the role of the Dark Knight, they also had a very stellar supporting cast. "Superman Returns" has a virtual unknown(Brandon Routh) playing the Man of Steel and only Kevin Spacey(as Lex Luthor) as far as big names in the movie. However, the ace up the WB's sleeve could very well be in the form of director Bryan Singer, the man who left the X-Men franchise to take on this great task. Unlike Batman Begins, "Superman Returns" will not be starting the franchise all over. Instead events of the movie take place after "Superman II". Needless to say, the anticipation is high for this movie. Brandon Routh certainly looks the part, and Spacey as Luthor is a stroke of genius. Now, can Kate Bosworth pull off Lois Lane? We'll see.

After a whole month of impossible missions, cap-sized cruise ships, cracked codes, and mutant superheroes and villains, the month of June decides to lighten up a bit, and give audiences something to laugh at for a change.

One of the big movies for all ages will be the latest Disney-Pixar collaboration, "Cars". It's been nearly 19 months since The Incredibles was released, and people have had a long dry spell for the next Pixar CG movie. Although there have been plenty of CG animated films released as of late, Pixar still stands as the best company using this technology.

The story involves a hot-shot stock-car, Lightning McQueen(Owen Wilson). On his way to the next big race, he finds himself stuck in Radiator Springs, where he soon learns that there is more to life than racing. The voice cast is strong with, Paul Newman, Michael Keaton, Tony Shalhoub, Bonnie Hunt, Bob Costas, Richard Petty, George Carlin, Cheech Marin, Larry the Cable Guy, and of course John Ratzenberger. Early buzz has been positive, and Cars looks to be another huge hit for Disney & Pixar.

For those who want a romantic comedy (or is it an anti-romantic comedy?), "The Break-Up" will be the draw for you. Ironically, last year many moviegoers lined up to see the chemistry between Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie in Mr.& Mrs. Smith. "The Break-Up" brings together former Pitt lover Jennifer Aniston and her new beau Vince Vaughn. The two actors play a couple who have decided to..... you guessed it, Break-Up. However they both refuse to leave the apartment they live in, obviously hilarity ensues. Jon Favreau, Jason Bateman, & Ann-Margret co-star.

For those who need their Adam Sandler stupid comedy fix, look no further than "Click". Adam Sandler inherits a remote control from (mad) scientist Christopher Walken. With this remote he is able to fast forward, pause and rewind the events in his life. Can you say, Bruce Almighty? Kate Beckinsale stars as Sandler's wife(like that would ever happen in real life), and Sean Astin & David Hassellhoff co-star.

Director Jared Hess follows up his indie sensation Napolean Dynamite with "Nacho Libre". In this comedy, Jack Black plays a priest in Mexico who at night dons a mask as a luchador in order to raise money to prevent an orphanage from being closed down. Think Zorro as a wrestler meets the Blues Brothers.

Robert Altman brings his latest to the big screen in "A Prairie Home Companion", a look at what happens backstage at the end of America's most celebrated radio show. The ensemble cast includes, Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Kline, John C.Reilly, Woody Harrelson, Virginia Madsen, Lindsey Lohan, Maya Rudolph & Garrison Keillor.

Meryl Streep will also be seen in "The Devil Wears Prada". Here she plays one of New York City's biggest and most ruthless magazine editors. Anne Hathaway plays her new hired assistant. Stanley Tucci co-stars.

Speaking of the devil, 20th Century Fox releases it's re-make of "The Omen". Julia Stiles and Liev Schreiber play the unfortunate parents. Pete Postlethwaite, David Thewlis, and Mia Farrow co-star.

Sandra Bullock & Keanu Reeves find love with each other in a time travelling way in "The Lake House".

After his son is kidnapped in a car-jacking, Tyrese Gibson goes on a hunt to get him back in "Waist Deep". Meagan Good & Larenz Tate co-star.

From the did we really need a sequel department(?) comes "Garfield's A Tale of Two Kitties". Another check in the bank for Bill Murray, Breckin Meyer, and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

And from the did we really need another sequel department(?) comes "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift". It may not have Vin Diesel or Paul Walker, but it does have Bow Wow.

Here are the dates and trailers.

6/2

The Break-Up: http://www.thebreakupmovie.net/main.html

6/6

The Omen: http://www.heedtheomen.com/

6/9

Cars: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/cars/

A Prairie Home Companion: http://www.aprairiehomecompanionmovie.com/

6/16

Nacho Libre: http://www.nacholibre.com/site/index.php

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift: http://www.thefastandthefurious.com/

The Lake House: http://thelakehousemovie.warnerbros.com/

Garfield's A tale of Two Kitties: http://www.garfieldmovie.com/index2.html

6/23

Click: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/click/site/index.php

Waist Deep: http://www.waistdeep.net/

6/30

Superman Returns: http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/

The Devil Wears Prada: http://www.devilwearspradamovie.com/

That's all for now. See you all again in July.

Unlike Batman Begins, "Superman Returns" will not be starting the franchise all over. Instead events of the movie take place after "Superman II". Needless to say, the anticipation is high for this movie. Brandon Routh certainly looks the part, and Spacey as Luthor is a stroke of genius. Now, can Kate Bosworth pull off Lois Lane? We'll see.

699794[/snapback]

actually, Singer has come out recently and said that the movie doesn't take place after Superman II...if anything, it would come right after Superman I as Superman has no clue who Zod is in this new movie

instead, Singer mentioned that Superman returns is based loosely on the original Superman while paying tribute to several aspects of the original (i.e. Marlon Brando as Jor-El)

Thanks, Mark!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here (in fact, perhaps even a minority of ONE, lol) but I'm actually looking forward to seeing Tokyo Drift. I won't see it at the theater, it'll be a rental, but the first two films were guilty pleasures for me that I really enjoyed. I particularly liked the first one, but the second one definitely kept my interest. Usually fast cars, hot women, and lots of action is a good combination for me. Besides, I've heard about the ending of Tokyo Drift, and if it's true it could be very cool.

Mark, love your movie posts, but one thing has really bothered me recently about the movie going public (not your posts).

I am always amazed at how focused the audiences are on the BO numbers or a film's budget. It's almost as if a majority of the public feels that if a movie isn't raking in the dough or if it didn't cost over 150 million to produce, it isn't a worthwhile film to see. The fact that CNN has a Top 10 list every week up with the gross figures is astounding. I think that this recent trend is what helps fuel this boom or bust, blockbuster/tent pole movie mentality which has almost crippled the smaller, more quaint films of the day.

I understand the interest in numbers if you work in the industry (hell, it's your job then) but from an outside perspective it is alarming I think -- and I am saying this as a hypocrite because I always check and see how the weekend BO wound up. I just think it's a dangerous trend that has really developed over the last five to ten years....and people wonder why Hollywood doesn't make any "good movies" anymore (though I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment).

Am I alone in that?

• 2 weeks later...
tgreg99 Posted May 31 2006, 12:29 AM

Mark, love your movie posts, but one thing has really bothered me recently about the movie going public (not your posts).

I am always amazed at how focused the audiences are on the BO numbers or a film's budget. It's almost as if a majority of the public feels that if a movie isn't raking in the dough or if it didn't cost over 150 million to produce, it isn't a worthwhile film to see. The fact that CNN has a Top 10 list every week up with the gross figures is astounding. I think that this recent trend is what helps fuel this boom or bust, blockbuster/tent pole movie mentality which has almost crippled the smaller, more quaint films of the day.

I understand the interest in numbers if you work in the industry (hell, it's your job then) but from an outside perspective it is alarming I think -- and I am saying this as a hypocrite because I always check and see how the weekend BO wound up. I just think it's a dangerous trend that has really developed over the last five to ten years....and people wonder why Hollywood doesn't make any "good movies" anymore (though I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment).

Am I alone in that?

You make an interesting point. I do check out the box office numbers every week myself, and I do look to see how much certain movies are budgeted at.

Personally though, I do not let that be the judgement call on whether I see a movie or not. If the movie looks interesting to me, I'll see it, if it does'nt, I wo'nt see it.

As for the smaller, more quaint films you mention, I somewhat disagree. If any movie preview looks interesting to people, they will go see it. Of course the hard thing for those small movies is getting the age 18-30 crowd to see them. Which is where most of the box office bucks come from.

Another thing that people keep talking about is why the movie crowds have dwindled or why the big movies only stay at #1 for just one week. Many "experts" say it is because people will wait for the dvd to come out, and they will see it then.

That theory I think is only partially correct. However, let's remember that before there were DVD Discs there were VCR Tapes, and the movie industry still flourished at the box office.

In my opinion, and the "experts" never mention this, the reason why box office numbers are down is because it has become too damn expensive to go to the movies. How many people out there are willing to spend $10 to see a movie? It's ridiculous.

A family of 4 going to the movies at night after buying tickets and buying snacks can spend nearly $100.

That's what the movie industries really need to look at.

A couple of updates on Superman Returns.

The movie has now been bumped up a couple of days, so it will now be released on Wednesday June 28.

Also, I went to the theatre I used to work at and tickets have gone on sale for both Superman Returns, and July's Pirates of the Caribbean:Dead Man's Chest.

According to showtimes Superman has a running time of 2 hours 50 minutes.

And Pirates has a running time of 2 hours 40 minutes.

That might be with trailers included, but still those are very long for your typical summer fare popcorn movies.

But hey, as long as their good, who cares how long it is.

Another thing that people keep talking about is why the movie crowds have dwindled or why the big movies only stay at #1 for just one week. Many "experts" say it is because people will wait for the dvd to come out, and they will see it then.

That theory I think is only partially correct. However, let's remember that before there were DVD Discs there were VCR Tapes, and the movie industry still flourished at the box office.

706679[/snapback]

Well, there's no comparison between the home theater experience with VHS vs. today. There's still a gap between movie theater & home theater, but it's shrinking all the time.

You make an interesting point. I do check out the box office numbers every week myself, and I do look to see how much certain movies are budgeted at.

Personally though, I do not let that be the judgement call on whether I see a movie or not. If the movie looks interesting to me, I'll see it, if it does'nt, I wo'nt see it.

As for the smaller, more quaint films you mention, I somewhat disagree. If any movie preview looks interesting to people, they will go see it. Of course the hard thing for those small movies is getting the age 18-30 crowd to see them. Which is where most of the box office bucks come from.

In my opinion, and the "experts" never mention this, the reason why box office numbers are down is because it has become too damn expensive to go to the movies. How many people out there are willing to spend $10 to see a movie? It's ridiculous.

A family of 4 going to the movies at night after buying tickets and buying snacks can spend nearly $100.

That's what the movie industries really need to look at.

706679[/snapback]

Absolutley, with ticket prices escalating, and as Rico pointed out, the quality (and cheapness) of home theater set ups have really caused a hiccup in the industry's BO numbers. A few months ago Soderbergh released his movie "Bubble" simultaneously in Theaters and on DVD, and Payperview in an effort to change the distribution trend -- the movie was a flop, but it's an interesting way to go.

Since Jaws, the way movies are distributed have changed and now Hollywood is watching the other shoe drop. Prior to the blockbuster mentality, movies would be released on limited screens, and grow as word of mouth spread. Jaws was the first film to be released wide and it was a HUGE hit distributors thought that was the best way to go. Now everything starts HUGE and screens dwindle as it falls off. This oversaturation of the market also has to play a factor.

The biggest industry problem right now are the residuals actors/directors/writers are getting from the BO. It used to be rare for actors to get any backend of the gross, but no longer. Fox recently pulled the plug on a 115 million dollar sci-fi comedy staring Jim Carey, Ben Stiller and directed by Jay Roach (two weeks before principle photography was to start) because those three guys demanded too much in the back end. This move by Fox is really interesting and should have a shakeup within the industry over the next few months. It's a really good indicator as to how the studios are going to combat the dwindling BO numbers -- next up will be their fight against backend on DVDs.

I dunno, I rambled.

That might be with trailers included, but still those are very long for your typical summer fare popcorn movies.

706680[/snapback]

I'm a huge fan of Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot (writers of POTC/Shrek/Aladin/and a host of others) and rumor has it that the third installment of the series is going to be the best. I read something with them saying they are slightly nervous about Dead Man's Chest because it sets up the third.

The thing with the first Pirates was no one really expected it to be a huge hit. It was an oddity that just caught fire. Now with the sequel there is such a huge buildup it's impossible to live up to the hype -- but I still think it will be a fun film.

I'll see pretty much anything written by them, so I'm in either way.

I don't know much about Superman other than the very few tidbits I heard from some of the PA's on the shoot -- though neither of them remained full time with the production, so it's not worth much. I just hope it's as good as it should be.

Well, there's no comparison between the home theater experience with VHS vs. today. There's still a gap between movie theater & home theater, but it's shrinking all the time.

706688[/snapback]

Good point. With the exception of the IMAX theater, I don't go to the movies for the audio experience anymore. My home system is not as powerful or loud as the theater, but the quality is much better in my HT. I only go to the theater now if I just want to get out, or if there is a movie I'm just dying to see (e.g. SW films). I went to see Batman Begins the first week it was out, and I'll probably do the same with Superman Returns. But I see most new releases on DVD these days, and I enjoy the home experience quite a bit.

A couple of updates on Superman Returns.

The movie has now been bumped up a couple of days, so it will now be released on Wednesday June 28.

Also, I went to the theatre I used to work at and tickets have gone on sale for both Superman Returns, and July's Pirates of the Caribbean:Dead Man's Chest.

706680[/snapback]

Well, there used to be a thing called an "intermission".

But I suppose that would make a lot of today's audiences go spastic and perhaps resort to civil unrest. :huh:

I don't think we will ever see a overture again - Rogers and Hammerstein, Meridith Wilson, Lerner & Lowe, Marvin Hamlisch, etc. are long gone. Although John Williams carries on in decent fashion.

Well, there used to be a thing called an "intermission". 

But I suppose that would make a lot of today's audiences go spastic and perhaps resort to civil unrest. :)

I don't think we will ever see a overture again - Rogers and Hammerstein, Meridith Wilson, Lerner & Lowe, Marvin Hamlisch, etc. are long gone. Although John Williams carries on in decent fashion.

707197[/snapback]

Don't forget to add Frank Loesser, Steven Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein and Elmer Bernstein (no relation) to your list.

Don't forget to add Frank Loesser, Steven Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein and Elmer Bernstein (no relation) to your list.

707771[/snapback]

Absolutely.

I remember CBS tv broadcasting Richard Rogers' "Victory at Sea" opus in the early '60's. 26 episodes; available on DVD per a search.

Saw Cars yesterday with the kids....really enjoyed it..

I love all the Pixar movies--I can't believe they have been in business for 20 years. I would rank Cars probably second to the Incredibles on my personal list. Good lesson, funny--as good for the kids as Bugs life; Toy Story; etc..

Specific scenes in Cars. Tractor tipping is classic....Don't miss the end where several of the Pixar films are redone shorts with cars as the main characters -- Woody in toy story for example is a wood paneled ford wagon--its good stuff--...and the character that Newman voices--Doc Hudson -- is perfect for him. NASCAR fans will not want to miss Cars...

probably the only movie I'll watch (in a theatre) all summer.. the al gore movie..

the rest are not worth the $10 bucks, or my time.

707760[/snapback]

why pay for propaganda? just go and hang out with hippies for free