Go To A Brothel

Just make sure that you don't light up a cigarette.

Gay marriages, steroids in baseball, and senate "decency hearings (wrt Howard Stern) are important too.

Will people ever wake up?

699639[/snapback]

I have a few responses to this:

1) Obviously, things in Australia are a bit different.

2) I've seen the 'gay marriage' comment tossed about a few times from you wrt things that are unimportant.

I'm asking you to see it through the eyes of someone who might have to deal with the issue -- what if you were in a committed relationship with someone, had kids, and you were the stay-at-home, biological parent, and the other partner worked. Suppose the kid gets sick, and the working partner's insurance refuses to cover this because they're not a "real family." Well, in every other way (the working partner supports the family financially, the other deals with matters of the home) they are like a so-called "traditional family" -- more traditional than many straight families, even. And a straight married person can violate his/her marriage in any and all ways and still receive the benefits given for it, while a monogamous homosexual person often can't receive any of those benefits.

It's an instance where gay marriage or civil unions become a serious issue, and arouse serious emotions, and become, yes, even more important than steroids in baseball. It's not just about yucky dudes holding hands and kissing or hot girls making out.

I have a few responses to this:

1) Obviously, things in Australia are a bit different.

2) I've seen the 'gay marriage' comment tossed about a few times from you wrt things that are unimportant. 

I'm asking you to see it through the eyes of someone who might have to deal with the issue -- what if you were in a committed relationship with someone, had kids, and you were the stay-at-home, biological parent, and the other partner worked.  Suppose the kid gets sick, and the working partner's insurance refuses to cover this because they're not a "real family."  Well, in every other way (the working partner supports the family financially, the other deals with matters of the home) they are like a so-called "traditional family" -- more traditional than many straight families, even.  And a straight married person can violate his/her marriage in any and all ways and still receive the benefits given for it, while a monogamous homosexual person often can't receive any of those benefits.

It's an instance where gay marriage or civil unions become a serious issue, and arouse serious emotions, and become, yes, even more important than steroids in baseball.  It's not just about yucky dudes holding hands and kissing or hot girls making out.

699995[/snapback]

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I couldn't give a flying !@#$ whether or not gays get married. If they want to pay alimony, etc., they should go right ahead for all I care.

The issue is not one that I would demonstrate in the streets in support of. I will leave that to those who care. My point is that this whole stupid issue is thrown out there as a distraction.

I don't care whay gays do as opposed to illegals invading us, war, and rights and in fact land being stripped away from citizens.

How about you?

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I couldn't give a flying !@#$ whether or not gays get married. If they want to pay alimony, etc., they should go right ahead for all I care.

The issue is not one that I would demonstrate in the streets in support of. I will leave that to those who care. My point is that this whole stupid issue is thrown out there as a distraction.

I don't care whay gays do as opposed to illegals invading us, war, and rights and in fact land being stripped away from citizens.

How about you?

700178[/snapback]

I think in general our country should be everything it purports itself to be and hold itself to the highest standards, regardless of what others' are, regardless of what religious standards are.

Those standards include making sure that every citizen's rights and responsibilities are accounted for. Rights of property, equal protection under the law, just decisions with regard to war, none of these are really separable to me.

EDIT: and all of these things make steroids in baseball look petty. I'm just saying, I wouldn't lump this, a more serious issue -- and understandably, not the most serious -- in with them.