I wouldn't mind inviting LB Chris Claibourne

The last team he played for was the Rams, so Kollar & Co. would know best if he has anything left in the tank. He's only 27 and should be had for cheap. I would think that he should be good for at least some depth. For economic reasons I wouldn't be too surprised if some team signed him just before the June 1st cuts. He's got good size at 6'3" and 255 lbs. He also had surgery to repair a two-year-old knee condition doctors had missed and is in excellent shape.

I've only vaguely kept up with Calibornes career. by his 3rd season he looked like he was living up to his potential, Then after arguably his best season in 02 the lions let him go and it's been downhill since. If he came on the cheap I wouldn't mind taking a look. I think he's a little too heavy and slow for the cover 2 scheme, but having someone like claiborne who has that all important starting experience would probably be worth the investment, if he could be had for cheap.

I don't think that he would fit our new system.(though I'm no expert)

Apparently his speed was his worst attribute & he has a tendency of bulking up(MW style) becoming even slower.

Don't we wish fast LBs in the Tampa-2?

Still, if we got him really cheap, extra competition never hurt.

I think he's a little too heavy and slow for the cover 2 scheme

699225[/snapback]

That's been the knock on him I have read in the past--not just heavy & slow for the cover 2 scheme but in general...here is the latest Scouts, Inc. assessment which actually is a little different from what I had previously read...All in all I would rather bring in an veteran OT or DT who is still on the market before training camp before another LB is brought in...

Claiborne has quick feet, he can slip blocks in space and he has the burst to make the occasional play in the backfield. He gets through blocks quickly when chasing and he possesses adequate range. Claiborne plays with a good motor, he takes good angles to the ball and he can make plays in pursuit. However, Claiborne isn't dominant in any one area and he isn't a difference-maker despite his abundance of talent. He lacks ideal ball skills, he doesn't explode to the ball when it's in the air and he doesn't make enough big plays.