Bought my first hunting rifle last sunday...

I picked up a Remington 7400 semi-auto 30-06 at a gun show here in my hometown (Salem, Oregon)

Anyone else like to hunt deer or elk? Over here in the NW it's one of the things I look forward to in the fall...football first but hunting as well. I have yet to bag my first buck since I just started hunting last year. Hopefully this year i'll find one :o

Anyone else have this rifle with some knowledge on how much kick it has and how accurate it is? I have yet to test it out because like most of the year....it's RAINING!

I picked up a Remington 7400 semi-auto 30-06 at a gun show here in my hometown (Salem, Oregon)

Anyone else like to hunt deer or elk? Over here in the NW it's one of the things I look forward to in the fall...football first but hunting as well. I have yet to bag my first buck since I just started hunting last year. Hopefully this year i'll find one :doh:

Anyone else have this rifle with some knowledge on how much kick it has and how accurate it is? I have yet to test it out because like most of the year....it's RAINING!

699075[/snapback]

How about hunting for enviro wackos? :P:o There sure are plenty of them in Oregon.

As far as accuracy goes, that'll depend more on the cartridge you select than anything. My advice is to spend the money on the better ammo and don't practice with a load you're not going to use hunting.

The trigger pull on that particular gun is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG but the iron sighte are short. Not a good combination, really. You didn't mention if you're going to scope it. I would.

Make sure you sight it properly and it'll likely do the job you're looking for. Good luck.

It has a bushnell 3x32 scope on it (came with it) I bought it used for $335 out the door...They had new ones but they were something like $580 without a scope. I like the style I got though, it's somewhat heavy but I like the feel of a solid gun.

Darin...since you seem to be familiar with this gun...what kinda ammo would you use? This is my first bigger caliber rifle...as my other guns are a Marlin .22 bolt action rifle, a .22 ruger mark III pistol (bull barrel) and a remington 870 wingmaster 12 gauge pump. Really i've only shot a 30-06 a few times so i'm wanting to learn as much as I can. Any knowledge would be very appreciated! :o

and Wacka...if only it was legal to hunt those wackos, LOL

Anyone else like to hunt deer or elk? Over here in the NW it's one of the things I look forward to in the fall...football first but hunting as well. I have yet to bag my first buck since I just started hunting last year. Hopefully this year i'll find one :P

699075[/snapback]

Hey fellow Oregonian! :) I'm no hunter but I wanted to complain about the rain too. :doh: I'm not able to work out in my yard because of it. :o

Hey there Lanak...in what beautiful city do you reside in our great state or Oregon? Here it was fuggin 95 about a week and a half ago...now it's been raining non stop for the past week...supposed to clear up monday though

Hey there Lanak...in what beautiful city do you reside in our great state or Oregon? Here it was fuggin 95 about a week and a half ago...now it's been raining non stop for the past week...supposed to clear up monday though

699160[/snapback]

I live just outside of Portland. Yeah, couldnt believe it was just 95 degrees last week and now it's like 55 degrees. I thought for sure summer was here. Guess we'll have to wait until July-Aug?? :o

I live just outside of Portland.  Yeah, couldnt believe it was just 95 degrees last week and now it's like 55 degrees.  I thought for sure summer was here.  Guess we'll have to wait until July-Aug??  :)

699161[/snapback]

You're always complaining :):doh::o:P:D

Anyone else like to hunt deer or elk? Over here in the NW it's one of the things I look forward to in the fall...football first but hunting as well. I have yet to bag my first buck since I just started hunting last year. Hopefully this year i'll find one :o

699075[/snapback]

Congrats, the .30-06 is a great all-around cartridge. As far as ammo goes, I would look on Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and try out one of the premium grade cartriges. I used to shoot Federal Premium because that particular round is loaded with the Nosler Partition bullet, but I have since changed to the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips. I would recommend a 180 grain bullet for Mule Deer, but you could get away with a 165 grain bullet if you like.

You might want to take that Bushnell scope off and replace it with something a little bit better. Again, check out Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops and see what fits your budget. It isn't uncommon to spend as much, if not more for your optics as you spend on the rifle itself.

699075[/snapback]

Good luck. I'm not a big fan of semi auto rifles. Most are not as accurate as their bolt action counterparts , and the mechanism is suceptible to jamming in bad weather. It takes a lot of cleaning to make sure you don't have a jam at a critical time. Of course I know peoplE that are very happy with theirs and don't experience any of the above issues. Recoil is lower on the semi's because part of the gas release drives the auto loading option. Agree with everyone here that you want to sight in your rifle and do serious target practice with the load and exact ammo you are planning to use. Nothing wrong with starting out with a cheaper box till you get over the flinches however. Toughest time of the year for me is Deer season when the game is on. If I have bagged one early then I don't mind missing part of a days hunt but until then it's out in the woods for me.

Thanks for the responses! I wanted a bolt action but didn't find any in my price range and this gun was in excellent shape. The more I held it the more I didn't want to put it back. The seller told me it wasn't quite as accurate like you said Art...and i'll take it to Sportsman's Warehouse to get it bore sighted :doh: It seriously looks like it hasn't fired many rounds through it, it's reallllly clean.

Boomer...i'll try both of those 165 grain and 180...thanks for the recommendation. I hope I get one this year...:P

Oh yeah Boomer...I was thinking i'd probably want to replace that scope that came on it...doesn't look like it's very good. So i'll be looking at those as well. I'll probably be looking to spend about $150-$200 though, my job doesn't pay me big bucks just yet. :o

Thanks for the responses! I wanted a bolt action but didn't find any in my price range and this gun was in excellent shape. The more I held it the more I didn't want to put it back. The seller told me it wasn't quite as accurate like you said Art...and i'll take it to Sportsman's Warehouse to get it bore sighted :lol: It seriously looks like it hasn't fired many rounds through it, it's reallllly clean.

Boomer...i'll try both of those 165 grain and 180...thanks for the recommendation. I hope I get one this year...:lol:

Oh yeah Boomer...I was thinking i'd probably want to replace that scope that came on it...doesn't look like it's very good. So i'll be looking at those as well. I'll probably be looking to spend about $150-$200 though, my job doesn't pay me big bucks just yet.  :lol:

699374[/snapback]

might I suggest an inexpensive but very very nice scope to you.

4-16AO

I have this on my current rifle and it is very nice, especially for the price. Worth a shot for 40 bucks

might I suggest an inexpensive but very very nice scope to you.

4-16AO

I have this on my current rifle and it is very nice, especially for the price.  Worth a shot for 40 bucks

699456[/snapback]

Why thank you, I will look into that for sure. Tomorrow i'm going to shoot it for the first time, so i'll post how it shot and what I think of it. :lol:

Why thank you, I will look into that for sure. Tomorrow i'm going to shoot it for the first time, so i'll post how it shot and what I think of it.  :lol:

699494[/snapback]

That's a pretty big cartridge to use on deer. I'd recommend joining a local shooting club for advice about loads, and proper firearm handling, shot placement, and hunting techniques.

I can't say I'm a fan of center-fire semiautomatics. There's a history of folks taking shot after shot at spooked game, resulting in woundings and suffering, and a spray of high-power rounds ending up gawd knows where.

Anyone else like to hunt deer or elk? Over here in the NW it's one of the things I look forward to in the fall...football first but hunting as well. I have yet to bag my first buck since I just started hunting last year. Hopefully this year i'll find one :lol:

699075[/snapback]

I use a http://www.leupold.com/products/Info_VX-II.htm slapped on top of a http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7850&return=Y. I agree with what someone else said about the .30-06 being a tad big for deer. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten a .270. The only thing I don't like about my gun is the synthetic stock. I bought it to keep the weight down, but it certainly hurts like hell after 5 - 10 rounds in the early fall prior to the season.

You can pick up a bore-sighter for ~50. I've used mine a few times now on my small collection of rifles.

Buy two or three different makes of premium rounds and take 'em to the range. Put a few of each through it and get a feel for which one your gun/you like better, then use the same stuff out hunting.

Congratulations =) I just wish I had more time to go hunt myself. Camp I head to is 2 1/2 hours south of Atlanta, not exactly something I can do on a boring Saturday morning. I only get out 2 or 3 times a year, and a .30-06 isn't exactly a fun range gun.

Edit: Bass Pro screwed up and I got it for $200 off of list.

-Jeff

Well I went shooting Monday and shot about 40 rounds...I was impressed that it didn't kick hard. I used 165 grain and 180 grain rounds...180's sure have a lot more pop than 165's!! I was aiming at a mailbox about 300-350 yards away and hit it about 50% of the time. Not bad considering i'm very inexperienced with the 30-06. :( I definitely will be getting a new scope soon...I really don't like the old bushnell that came with it. I'll post some pictures of my gun when my brother gets home with his digi camera.

I've also got a pigeon thrower that's mounted on a spare tire...Mannnn I was on that day! Hitting both pigeons consistantly! (with my 12 gauge of course) It was a fun filled gun blasting day, as I also shot about 500 rounds of .22 between my rifle and pistol. Great stress relief too :lol:

Well I went shooting Monday and shot about 40 rounds...I was impressed that it didn't kick hard. I used 165 grain and 180 grain rounds...180's sure have a lot more pop than 165's!! I was aiming at a mailbox about 300-350 yards away and hit it about 50% of the time. Not bad considering i'm very inexperienced with the 30-06. <_< I definitely will be getting a new scope soon...I really don't like the old bushnell that came with it. I'll post some pictures of my gun when my brother gets home with his digi camera.

I've also got a pigeon thrower that's mounted on a spare tire...Mannnn I was on that day! Hitting both pigeons consistantly! (with my 12 gauge of course) It was a fun filled gun blasting day, as I also shot about 500 rounds of .22 between my rifle and pistol. Great stress relief too :)

701982[/snapback]

When you sight it in, clean the barrel often and let the barrel cool between shots. You want that rifle to fire dead nuts on for that first shot in the field.