My favorite song....

ajzepp

I had never even heard of the Lips until about two months ago. The guy who sold me my speakers sends me an email one night saying, "you've gotta go pick up this new Flaming LIps album....it sounds AMAZING on a good system!". I went out and picked it up that night, and I"ve been a fan since :lol: 

I'll definitely take your advice and pick up The Soft Bulletin next....I'm glad you said that, cause I was trying to figure out which way to go with it. I had the same question about Van Morrison and everyone said get "moondance". That was good advice, so I'm sure yours is good too :lol:  TBDers have awesome taste in music, so I really appreciate when you guys chime in with some suggestions for me. Seriously, I've added a lot of really good stuff because of you guys!

698966[/snapback]

I’ve been a huge Flaming Lips fan for a long time, but prefer the earlier stuff more than the post-Transmissions from the Satellite Heart records. The earlier LPs have a lot more edge to them, and are a lot more guitar-driven than the stuff they put out now. “Jesus shooting Heroin” was a pretty big college radio hit from the first full-length LP, Hear it is. In my opinion though, their best record is In A Priest Driven Ambulance, their first one produced by Dave Fridmann from the band Mercury Rev. You can definitely hear where the band was headed sound-wise, eventually realized on the pop masterpiece Transmissions from the Satellite Heart LP. As RunTheDamnBall mentioned earlier, if you like what they’re doing now, definitely pick up Soft Bulletin then Transmissions. If you want to hear where that stuff evolved from pick up Priest then Oh My Gawd!!!.

EDIT:

Forgot to add what I'm listening to right now. NOFX put out a new LP a few weeks ago, Wolves in wolves Clothing, so "USA-holes" from that record and "Seperation of Church and Skate" from their previous LP (War on Errorism) have been on heavy rotation at the Coli compound.

Edited by Johnny Coli

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been a huge Flaming Lips fan for a long time, but prefer the earlier stuff more than the post-Transmissions from the Satellite Heart records.  The earlier LPs have a lot more edge to them, and are a lot more guitar-driven than the stuff they put out now.  “Jesus shooting Heroin” was a pretty big college radio hit from the first full-length LP, Hear it is.  In my opinion though, their best record is In A Priest Driven Ambulance, their first one produced by Dave Fridmann from the band Mercury Rev.  You can definitely hear where the band was headed sound-wise, eventually realized on the pop masterpiece Transmissions from the Satellite Heart LP.  As RunTheDamnBall mentioned earlier, if you like what they’re doing now, definitely pick up Soft Bulletin then Transmissions.  If you want to hear where that stuff evolved from pick up Priest then Oh My Gawd!!!.

EDIT:

Forgot to add what I'm listening to right now.  NOFX put out a new LP a few weeks ago, Wolves in wolves Clothing, so "USA-holes" from that record and "Seperation of Church and Skate" from their previous LP (War on Errorism) have been on heavy rotation at the Coli compound.

699807[/snapback]

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to pick up 'Soft Bulletin' this weekend, I think. I've played the new disc into the ground, so I need more :o Usually I'm skeptical of bands that play the 'whacked out' card, but these guys are legitimately talented. Can't wait to hear some of their earlier stuff!

OK AJ, Go listen to this:

Chris Rice - When did you fall

I was able to listen to it on XM and had it stuck in my head all day long. That's what I'm listening to right now, but my fav... recently, it's been

Nat King Cole - Let there be Love

Awesome, thanks!  I'm going to pick up 'Soft Bulletin' this weekend, I think. I've played the new disc into the ground, so I need more :o  Usually I'm skeptical of bands that play the 'whacked out' card, but these guys are legitimately talented. Can't wait to hear some of their earlier stuff!

700062[/snapback]

The Lips are amazing. If you ever get the chance you must see them live. It's the most incredible experience. Surreal, inspiring and overwhelming all at the same time.

Definitely get The Soft Bulletin - my fave is the riff on "Spoonfull Weighs a Ton" - with a good bass, its sweet. I also like Yoshimi, a little different but a number of great tracks.

Right here, right now, favorite song is "Feb. 14," by the Drive-By Truckers.  It will change later today, but the song is still pretty excellent.  It even rocks (but not more than early Van Halen).  :o

It's the first song that shows up here.  You'll need flash.

700083[/snapback]

I heard one of their albums back a couple of years ago, but didn't pay much attention to it. I'll have to give it another shot

OK AJ, Go listen to this:

Chris Rice - When did you fall

I was able to listen to it on XM and had it stuck in my head all day long. That's what I'm listening to right now, but my fav... recently, it's been

Nat King Cole - Let there be Love

700093[/snapback]

Cool, I added it to my Amazon list. Looks like many of the people are saying this was his best album: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000894O...5Fencoding=UTF8

Do you know any of the tracks off that one? I'm going to put in an Amazon order in the next few weeks, so I'd like to order some stuff I've never heard. What kind of music is it? I don't have audio on my comp, so I can't listen to any of the cuts just yet. I like your taste in music, though, so if you say it's good then I believe you :o

The Lips are amazing.  If you ever get the chance you must see them live.  It's the most incredible experience.  Surreal, inspiring and overwhelming all at the same time. 

Definitely get The Soft Bulletin - my fave is the riff on "Spoonfull Weighs a Ton" - with a good bass, its sweet.  I also like Yoshimi, a little different but a number of great tracks.

700216[/snapback]

I would love to see them live.....I saw them on the Tonight Show a week or so ago and they were off the hook, lol. Friggin guy sang the whole song through a megaphone :o I don't know what it is about their stuff, but it's catchy as hell. I feel like one of these days I'm goign to hit play on "free radical" and I'm goign to hear, "sh-- man, not this fuggin track again!"

Have you heard that track on a good system? I don't know what they did, but the sound effects are all over the place.....sounds like they're are band members inside the walls or hanging from the ceiling....very cool ;)