Lost: Season Finale Thread

TheMadCap

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh I thought that look was verrrrrry strange, we shall see what happens

I thought Charlie was acting strangely when he came upon Claire. It almost seemed like he was happy with the thought that the two of them were no longer there since he is so bitter about actions by both Eko and Locke. He almost seemed evil in that scene...

I didn't think there was that much to that look. Instead, I thought it was meant to show that Jack is her true one and only. She chose to look at him rather than Sawyer. In general, I think it was just supposed to show trepidation over what is to happen.

697802[/snapback]

I just read the review in the NYT and Lindelof had an interesting/important comment about the end of the episode that hasn't been brought up yet. By showing the outside world for the first time in real time (not in a flashback) it, according to the creator, destroys any thoughts of the Lostaways being in "purgatory or are subjects of some expierement."

As for Charlie being in a dream sequence, I don't think so. I mean, I may be wrong, but Claire was coming back around even before Charlie went into the hatch. I also don't think he was evil when he came back to the beach...had he wanted to kill Eko and Locke, he wouldn't have tried to warn Locke that Eko was about to blow up the door with dynamite. He would have just left. Instead, I think that whole thing with Charlie was the writers returning Charlie from the dark side back to the good natured/funny Charlie we all enjoyed in the beginning of the show.

The other noteworthy thing in the NYT review was that Cuse and Lindelof said that while the second season was about the Hatch, the third season will be about the Others, specifically: "Who are these people? How many of them are there? What is their history? What are they trying to accomplish?" Also, Gale is going to be a regular cast memeber, so I don't expect Jack/Kate/Sawyer to escape anytime soon.

it, according to the creator, destroys any thoughts of the Lostaways being in "purgatory or are subjects of some expierement."

698072[/snapback]

Why does it destroy thoughts of an experiment? To me it supports the theory, as I posted above. The Widmore's seem to be the financial backing of the Hanso Foundation (from "Bad Twin").

They may have comissioned the virtual world.

Why does it destroy thoughts of an experiment? To me it supports the theory, as I posted above. The Widmore's seem to be the financial backing of the Hanso Foundation (from "Bad Twin").

They may have comissioned the virtual world.

698091[/snapback]

I was waiting for you to chime in, I knew you'd love that :(

I'm not sure, I agree with you that it almost supports your theory rather than contradicts it. Especially considering my take on Desmond "proving his worth" to Penny's father and thus signaling to the searchers he is worthy...

But I am just reporting what Lindelof and Cuse have said. Clearly there WAS some form of experements going on (the pnuematic tubes to nothing, the different hatches, the disguises etc) -- but whether or not that is still continuing is up in the air -- or at least that is my interpretation of the quote from the producers.

But for awhile they have been saying that it's NOT purgatory (really since Season 1) and they finally disproved that with the finale last night. Now if they are saying it's NOT an experiement either, then maybe they are going to spend season 3 explaining why not...I dunno though.

I just read the review in the NYT and Lindelof had an interesting/important comment about the end of the episode that hasn't been brought up yet. By showing the outside world for the first time in real time (not in a flashback) it, according to the creator, destroys any thoughts of the Lostaways being in "purgatory or are subjects of some expierement."

698072[/snapback]

I just watched (I went to the game last night and was in no condition to watch when I returned)

Anyhow, Sloth, I'm thinking the Russians were somewhere near one of the magnetic poles and were monitoring the earth's magnetic field. Thus, if they were able to detect a disturbance in the force, the events on the island cannot be occuring in a virtual world. The events must be occuring in the real world.

Someone said that one of the Russians was from Hurley's asylum. Is that true?

697850[/snapback]

I was thinking that the guy on the left looked like Leonard, the one who kept mumbling the numbers over and over while playing that checkers game.

And another observation, for the second time in the season finales, there's some question of whether that bird screeched out Hurley's name. Sawyer's line afterward was great.

I just watched (I went to the game last night and was in no condition to watch when I returned)

Anyhow, Sloth, I'm thinking the Russians were somewhere near one of the magnetic poles and were monitoring the earth's magnetic field.  Thus, if they were able to detect a disturbance in the force, the events on the island cannot be occuring in a virtual world.  The events must be occuring in the real world.

698291[/snapback]

Why couldn't they be monitoring the virtual world for a pre-arranged signal, i.e. magnatic disturbance.

The group therapy is to help people find or resolve lost love, I am convinced of it now. I no longer need to watch the show now that I have it all figured out. :(

A question abotu the pneumatic tube from "the pearl". it led to nowhere, just some random spot on the island, btu i thought pneumatic tubes needed to be closed at both ends to work? How would an open ended tube work?

A question abotu the pneumatic tube from "the pearl". it led to nowhere, just some random spot on the island, btu i thought pneumatic tubes needed to be closed at both ends to work? How would an open ended tube work?

698468[/snapback]

Sealed with an outward opening valve? <_<

698468[/snapback]

I knew a girl who could suck a golf ball through 50' of garden hose.... <_<

Interesting observation. I'm not familiar w/ msg tubes, but here's a way it might work:

You have a vacuum pump on a tee in 'the middle' of the tube. Near 'the other end', you have a switchable valve that usually is closed. This will allow suction to take stuff from inside The Pearl and propel it down the tube. Somewhere inline, b4 the pump tee there's a sensor that sees an object traveling down the tube. This sensor turns off the pump and opens the valve at the other end. The momentum of the object is sufficient for it to procede out the other end of the tube. If you needed to fool the Pearl observers that the tube was always on, you'd need an extra valve (normally open) and a second vacuum pump.

Anyhow, Sloth, I'm thinking the Russians were somewhere near one of the magnetic poles and were monitoring the earth's magnetic field.  Thus, if they were able to detect a disturbance in the force, the events on the island cannot be occuring in a virtual world.  The events must be occuring in the real world.

698291[/snapback]

Your "Russians" were speaking Portugeuse.

Why couldn't they be monitoring the virtual world for a pre-arranged signal, i.e.  magnatic disturbance.

The group therapy is to help people find or resolve lost love, I am convinced of it now. I no longer need to watch the show now that I have it all figured out.  <_<

698394[/snapback]

Why would Penelope need to hire the Russians/Portugese then? Wouldn't they know where this virtual world was being created?

There's a really good run-down on the finale and a macrocosm of the characters here. (You just have to one-click through a Visa ad to read the whole thing).

I'm hinged in thought about the fourth paragraph. She's especially right on the part about Kate. It's exactly like Locke told Walt in S1 about "finding the 'tell'"... There's some people you can't read at all.