Major league lacrosse

frogger

Why hasn't major league lacrosse done well?

Marketing it would be easy, pure American sport, fast pace like basketball, hits like Hockey and there are some that say hitting a 90 MPH fastball is the hardest thing in sports, try catching a 90 MPH ball in a net while running, so it is a true talent sport. I understand thus far it has been mostly white kids playing it, and for some reason it has the idea of money attach to it, however it is a reasonably cheap sport to play. and a Hall of fame football player could be the ambassador of it too, Jim Brown, for those who do not know he played Lacrosse at Syracuse.

I don't think it can reach football status, but it cold beat out Hockey in America, and compete with Basketball, in part do to their (Basketball and Hockey's) European influence.

Lacrosse is pretty popular in Rochester, so I saw a fair bit of it when I lived there. Definitely a fun game to watch, and I'm sure even more fun to play. I think it's lack of popularity has to do with the fact that it's a niche sport that very few people in America play socially. Think about the major sports in this country: Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, golf, soccer.....and even though hockey might seem like it's not played socially as often as the others, I think it actually is. I used to play street hockey all the time when I was a kid, we played it in gym class, and there are leagues all around the country.

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in America at the high school and college level. If it continues, it's only a matter of time before the indoor version becomes much bigger outside the traditional markets.

Then the rest of the country will know what we know.

We have a lacrosse team here in Portland.  Haven't been to a game but want to go check one out some day.  Lumber Jax

697583[/snapback]

The Portland Lumber Jax??? Is this the song they play before each game?

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,

I sleep all night and I work all day.

Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,

He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,

I go to the lavatory.

On Wednesdays I go shopping

And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,

He goes to the lavatory.

On Wednesdays he goes shopping

And has buttered scones for tea.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,

I like to press wild flowers.

I put on women's clothing,

And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,

He likes to press wild flowers.

He puts on women's clothing,

And hangs around in bars.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels,

Suspendies and a bra.

I wish I'd been a girlie,

Just like my dear pappa.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?

Suspendies...and a bra?

...he's a lumberjack and he's okay,

...he's a lumberjack and he's OKAAAAAAAAAAYYY.

He sleeps all night and he works all day

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in America at the high school and college level.  If it continues, it's only a matter of time before the indoor version becomes much bigger outside the traditional markets.

697588[/snapback]

I've actually seen them playing here locally in SoCal. I assume their high school kids. Pretty cool.

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in America at the high school and college level.  If it continues, it's only a matter of time before the indoor version becomes much bigger outside the traditional markets.

697588[/snapback]

Amen.

i heard someone talking last week that within a year they expect to see major blips on the radar screen for big time lax, it is a growing sport

Why hasn't major league lacrosse done well?

Marketing it would be easy, pure American sport, fast pace like basketball, hits like Hockey and there are some that say hitting a 90 MPH fastball is the hardest thing in sports, try catching a 90 MPH ball in a net while running, so it is a true talent sport.  I understand thus far it has been mostly white kids playing it, and for some reason it has the idea of money attach to it, however it is a reasonably cheap sport to play.  and a Hall of fame football player could be the ambassador of it too, Jim Brown, for those who do not know he played Lacrosse at Syracuse.

I don't think it can reach football status, but it cold beat out Hockey in America, and compete with Basketball, in part do to their (Basketball and Hockey's) European influence.

697454[/snapback]

Minnesota just got a team two seasons ago, and I was first in line to get season tickets (ok, technically I'm #69, but you get the point). The game is cheap ($25/seat - and I'm 10 rows above the glass, center of the field, penalty box side). It's an awesome sport. :P

BTW -- Minnesota played the Lumberjack song when Portland came to town last season. <_<

Syracuse had an indoor team several years ago, I think it only lasted about one or two seasons. I found it surprising, since there are alot of High School and College teams in the area.

697937[/snapback]

The indoor team couldn't survive because the skill level of lacrosse sucked. That team couldn't hold a candle to Syracuse or even a high school like West Genny. People in Syracuse have too many great options to watch a second rate indoor team.

The indoor team couldn't survive because the skill level of lacrosse sucked. That team couldn't hold a candle to Syracuse or even a high school like West Genny. People in Syracuse have too many great options to watch a second rate indoor team.

697951[/snapback]

That team had Paul Gait!

Yes it was an aging, crippled Paul Gait who wouldn't get back on D if his life depended on it, but it was still Paul Gait.

And I disagree that the skill level in the NLL is below that of West Genny. Gary Gait? John Grant? John Tavares? Colin Doyle? The list goes on.

I am a charter K'hawks season ticketholder; my seats are right at midfield. I've been blessed to watch first Gait and then Grant for the last 12 years.

It may be that Syracuse just doesn't cotton to the indoor game much. The Lockwoods and Powells of the world, their size-speed combination just doesn't translate to a smaller field and increased physical play. To use another example, Kevin Lowe was one of field lacrosse's most brilliant playmakers in the early '90s for Princeton. He got to the NLL and... pffft. It's apples and oranges.

697951[/snapback]

Oh I don't know about that. I played box and field and several of our box guys got scholarships for Hobart, Syracuse and a few other top tier field programs. Canadian junior lacrosse is pretty damn good and the senior groups there would not have a problem with a college team of any level playing box. The pros are even better.

Oh I don't know about that.  I played box and field and several of our box guys got scholarships for Hobart, Syracuse and a few other top tier field programs.  Canadian junior lacrosse is pretty damn good and the senior groups there would not have a problem with a college team of any level playing box.  The pros are even better.

698031[/snapback]

Yeah, but how many levels of football did you play at?

That team had Paul Gait!

Yes it was an aging, crippled Paul Gait who wouldn't get back on D if his life depended on it, but it was still Paul Gait.

And I disagree that the skill level in the NLL is below that of West Genny.  Gary Gait?  John Grant?  John Tavares?  Colin Doyle?  The list goes on.

I am a charter K'hawks season ticketholder; my seats are right at midfield.  I've been blessed to watch first Gait and then Grant for the last 12 years.

It may be that Syracuse just doesn't cotton to the indoor game much.  The Lockwoods and Powells of the world, their size-speed combination just doesn't translate to a smaller field and increased physical play.  To use another example, Kevin Lowe was one of field lacrosse's most brilliant playmakers in the early '90s for Princeton.  He got to the NLL and... pffft.  It's apples and oranges.

698017[/snapback]

I'll agree it's apples and oranges. I don't care for indoor lacrosse. It's kind of like arena football to me, just not the same.

Oh I don't know about that.  I played box and field and several of our box guys got scholarships for Hobart, Syracuse and a few other top tier field programs.  Canadian junior lacrosse is pretty damn good and the senior groups there would not have a problem with a college team of any level playing box.  The pros are even better.

698031[/snapback]

Don't care. Only want to know 40 times.