Artificial insemination question?

For years artificial insemination has been standard for animals including bovines. With Barbaro's recent injury I have come to learn that artificial insemination is not allowed in horse racing. Why is that? Tradition? Worries that the old grey mare may get the seed from some horse destined for the glue factory, not the champion stud the owner paid for? Nobody willing to harvest the semen? The stud union won't allow it?

For years artificial insemination has been standard for animals including bovines.  With Barbaro's recent injury I have come to learn that artificial insemination is not allowed in horse racing.  Why is that?  Tradition?  Worries that the old grey mare may get the seed from some horse destined for the glue factory, not the champion stud the owner paid for?  Nobody willing to harvest the semen?  The stud union won't allow it?

697256[/snapback]

I'd guess it's a matter of economic trust. Watching the stud mount old Bessie is convincing, but that Fed-Ex vial can give rise to skepticism.

For years artificial insemination has been standard for animals including bovines.  With Barbaro's recent injury I have come to learn that artificial insemination is not allowed in horse racing.  Why is that?  Tradition?  Worries that the old grey mare may get the seed from some horse destined for the glue factory, not the champion stud the owner paid for?  Nobody willing to harvest the semen?  The stud union won't allow it?

697256[/snapback]

The racing industry worries that artificial insemination would effectively limit the amount of difference in speed between horses. For example, one bull can produce thousands of like offspring through artificial insemination, so the thinking is one sire could produce thousands of offspring with similar speed/attributes and saturate the thoroughbred market. However, a lot of people think it's to prop up the stud market. If champion thoroughbred semen was easily obtained and one sire could father thousands of offspring, only the top few stallions would be in business.

I'd guess it's a matter of economic trust. Watching the stud mount old Bessie is convincing, but that Fed-Ex vial can give rise to skepticism.

697260[/snapback]

Easy with that giving rise thing :lol: