Why are some convinced that JP will fail?

Rubes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that we need to dredge up another JP love-him-or-hate-him thread, but it's the offseason, dammit, and I'm just wondering what it is that makes some people here convinced that he will not succeed in the NFL?

I'm still on the fence about him, but here are some of my own observations:

Pros: Strong arm, can make all the throws. Very mobile, to great advantage. Throws well on the run. Made some really good throws last year: vs. Houston (a few), vs. KC (the two TDs were really pretty), and vs. Miami (of course). Hard worker.

Cons: Too often indecisive and anxious. Too quick to abandon the play and run for it. Made some really poor decisions (both throwing and running) in a few games. Doesn't know how to protect himself.

Unfortunately, some of this reminds me of RJ a bit, particularly the indecisiveness. But I really don't see him as another RJ. What I really wanted to see out of JP last year was at least the ability to perform well in spurts. Those throws against KC and Miami were fantastic, and it showed me he has the ability to do some really good things. I expect indecisiveness and poor decision-making from a rookie (and yes, he was a rookie last year, as far as play time), especially when the offensive line is so bad that you must make quick decisions all the time. Bledsoe was in the league for a decade and he still made lousy decisions all the time. And he couldn't throw a screen pass to save his life.

Time will tell if JP can overcome the indecisiveness and poor decision-making -- that's what comes with more experience. Even with a decent cast around him, RJ never could overcome that. But I think with a new offensive approach, some new bodies on the offensive line, and a little more patience, I think he has a decent chance of succeeding. He's shown me enough so far to think that, for now.

697138[/snapback]

Cuz he looks like and behaves like RJ. They're both Left Coasters after all. :lol:

Because he had a medicore year and people have to react. No one has any patience any more. If JP didn't tear up the league last year, he's a bust. NFL QBs need to excel right from the start. :) Oh and he drinks sex on the beaches. :lol: Personally, I have all the confidence in the world in him. I love this QB competition for him. It is his chance to prove himself, gain the confidence of his coaches and teammates, and earn his rightful place as a starter.

Guest dog14787
he has no accuracy. and thats not even on your list of cons.

697153[/snapback]

Accuracy is not a problem with J.P. Losman, although it probably seemed that way.

It takes time getting the routes down, your timing ect.

When you say no accuracy , I have to disagree, J.P. can put the ball in the spot he wants.

His overthrows in my opinion were due to a lack of confidence at the QB position and his fear of hurting the team.( thrown high on purpose)

People forget that J.P. had the playing time of a rookie and didn't even get a full year under his belt.

Your observation is a fair one but I believe with a better O-line you will see a big improvement in J.P. Losmans play.

This Kid's a keeper!!! :lol:

GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because he had a medicore year and people have to react.  No one has any patience any more.  If JP didn't tear up the league last year, he's a bust.  NFL QBs need to excel right from the start.  :)  Oh and he drinks sex on the beaches.  :lol:  Personally, I have all the confidence in the world in him.  I love this QB competition for him.  It is his chance to prove himself, gain the confidence of his coaches and teammates, and earn his rightful place as a starter.

697302[/snapback]

I want JP to be a great qb as much as you do, but last season, he was a long way from "mediocre."

I want JP to be a great qb as much as you do, but last season, he was a long way from "mediocre."

697319[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess medicore is the wrong word. How about sporadic? Sometimes he looked awful. However, he did show some flashes to see he has some definite potential. I always wonder how JP would have done with our defense of 2004. While most look at our QB situation as pretty pathetic, personally, I think it has a lot of potential (of course, potential means you haven't done sh#t :) ). We have a third year 1st rounder with all the tools in the world; Holcomb, who despite what most people think, is a solid veteran starter who can win some games (though not a 16 game starter); and a fairly young guy who sat behind of the best QBs ever and has played well in NFL Europe. It think it is a very interesting battle. At the very least, training camp should be awesome this year (hopefully, not better than the regular season :lol: ).

This is what I do not nor will I ever be able to understand.....

Why in the world would ANY bills fan want JP Losman to be a bust for the bills?

Do you have any idea what that would mean?

That would mean that we have lost out on what amounts to huge investment....and set this team back very very far.

Everyone had better how that Losman does in fact emerge as at the very least a bonified starting QB in the NFL.....

Because the other QB's we have are NOT the answer

This is what I do not nor will I ever be able to understand.....

Why in the world would ANY bills fan want JP Losman to be a bust for the bills?

Do you have any idea what that would mean?

That would mean that we have lost out on what amounts to  huge investment....and set this team back very very far.

Everyone had better how that Losman does in fact emerge as at the very least a bonified starting QB in the NFL.....

Because the other QB's we have are NOT the answer

697335[/snapback]

I don't think ANY of our QBs are the long-term answer, including JP. I'm pretty sure none of these three QBs will be starting for the Bills in 2008.

Yeah, I guess medicore is the wrong word.  How about sporadic?  Sometimes he looked awful.  However, he did show some flashes to see he has some definite potential.  I always wonder how JP would have done with our defense of 2004.  While most look at our QB situation as pretty pathetic, personally, I think it has a lot of potential (of course, potential means you haven't done sh#t  :) ).  We have a third year 1st rounder with all the tools in the world; Holcomb, who despite what most people think, is a solid veteran starter who can win some games (though not a 16 game starter); and a fairly young guy who sat behind of the best QBs ever and has played well in NFL Europe.  It think it is a very interesting battle.  At the very least, training camp should be awesome this year (hopefully, not better than the regular season  :lol: ).

697326[/snapback]

With FA after 4 years, and the inevitable pressure to get that #1 pick, whatever position that top pick may play, onto the field, I can't fault the team for putting him into the line-up last year.

They had to see if he has the goods, or a promise of same.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Holcomb. We were all quite pleased when the Bills signed him, and I think a lot of clubs would like to have him in reserve. The B'gals here sure would, with question marks about Palmer and the leaving of Kitna. They've signed ex-Cleveland QB Doug Johnson, and Baltimore's Wright, and courted Detroit's Joey H. My guess is that they would have welcomed KH if he were available before those signings.

With FA after 4 years, and the inevitable pressure to get that #1 pick, whatever position that top pick may play, onto the field, I can't fault the team for putting him into the line-up last year.

They had to see if he has the goods, or a promise of same.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Holcomb. We were all quite pleased when the Bills signed him, and I think a lot of clubs would like to have him in reserve. The B'gals here sure would, with question marks about Palmer and the leaving of Kitna. They've signed ex-Cleveland QB Doug Johnson, and Baltimore's Wright, and courted Detroit's Joey H. My guess is that they would have welcomed KH if he were available before those signings.

697343[/snapback]

Good point in regards to FA and the pressure to play a #1. TD, however, just put JP in a very tough situation. It was a 9-7 team with Bledsoe and was filled with veterans that believed they were a playoff team. That immediately put JP in a tough situation. Anything less than a playoff spot and most of the team would be upset. And that's what happened. I think sometimes people forget that Big Ben was never handed the job. Maddox got hurt and a lot of veterans (including Faneca) expressed their displeasure of playing with a rookie. Obviously, Big Ben earned their respect by winning. Hopefully with a better gameplan and earning a job in camp, JP will be more respected in the huddle.

Accuracy is not a problem with J.P. Losman, although it probably seemed that way.

It takes time getting the routes down, your timing ect.

When you say no accuracy , I have to disagree, J.P. can put the ball in the spot he wants.

His overthrows in my opinion were due to a lack of confidence at the QB position and his fear of hurting the team.( thrown high on purpose)

People forget that J.P. had the playing time of a rookie and didn't even get a full year under his belt.

Your observation is a fair one but I believe with a better O-line you will see a big improvement in J.P. Losmans play.

This Kid's a keeper!!! <_<

GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

697313[/snapback]

While I'm not sure this kid's a keeper, I sure hope that's the case. And, I agree with you on your accuracy take. He CAN make all the throws...he just needs to do a better job of it. The knock on Rivers coming out of college was he couldn't make all the throws (particluarly the deep out). JP had no such knock, as far as I can recall.

One of his plusses, I didn't see mentioned...he has a real nice play-action move.

One of his plusses, I didn't see mentioned...he has a real nice play-action move.

697410[/snapback]

I was going to mention that, but forgot. That play action move against New Orleans was fantastic. Too bad the throw was way off. Still not sure if it was JP or EM who read it wrong, but I don't think it would be too far off to call that a JP error.

Nevertheless, once he gets his act together, that's a fantastic play action move. Reminded me a little of Boomer...which probably shouldn't be surprising.

His audible signal cadence reminded many of a young Carol Channing.

It caused Mike Williams and Bennie Anderson to think of dancing, instead of blocking.

697179[/snapback]

Apparently big Mike can't get that cadence out of his head and stop dancing. No wonder Tampa is so displeased with him.

I have been one of those down on JP. But there was one game I did not see until I watched a tape a couple of days ago, that of the Carolina game.

I have to say that Losman showed me something in that one. He was hitting the short passes well for once and looked more like a young QB still learning from his mistakes than one that just couldn't get it.

I am curious, what were his stats, including QB rating, from the KC game onward?

I have been one of those down on JP. But there was one game I did not see until I watched a tape a couple of days ago, that of the Carolina game.

I have to say that Losman showed me something in that one. He was hitting the short passes well for once and looked more like a young QB still learning from his mistakes than one that just couldn't get it.

I am curious, what were his stats, including QB rating, from the KC game onward?

697946[/snapback]

i am a big JP supporter, and i agree he did look like sh-- the first half of the season, but i really thin he hoed something in the latter half. Ignore the haters who lump the entire seasons stats together so they can make their point.

JP's first 4 games : 45-94 (47.8% completion) 433 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, avg rating = 52.3

JP's last 5 games : 68-134 (50.7% completion) 907 yds, 7 TD, 6 INT, avg rating = 77.5

what i like is this tho...remove the NE debacle, where the entire team played like crap and JP got hurt, and he had his 4 middle games with these stats...

JP: 58-107 (54.2% completion) 726 yds 6 TD, 3 INT, avg rating = 88.5

sure JP was far from being a superstar, but anyone that says he did nothing all season is ignoring the facts. there were 2 different JP's last season, his first 4 games, and his final 5 games. I think, and i hope that the final 5 or more indicative of his skill and his future.

697946[/snapback]

Check out the splits on this link

About halfway down there's a Games 1-8, 9-16 split.

Games 9-16 are quite a bit better. Again, not great, but they indicate progress.

EDIT: I also noticed his warm weather stats were pretty decent (80.1 rating). The kid has some work to do in the cold.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall